C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Road tripping my C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 12:16 AM
JP90
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Road tripping my C4

Wednesday I decided I would take a road trip Friday-Tuesday, Thursday I figured out where I was going to go. The Goal? Just get out and drive my car, and that I did today. I drove from central Iowa to Bowling Green, Kentucky. I must say, I am very surprised at how much fun it was even at the end of 10hrs, surprisingly comfortable as well. I intend to hit the museum in the morning and then motor off to Deal's Gap. Should be a fun day, going out that far its also going to be a long drive back. Even in the heat and traffic of ST. Louis it handled it like a champ. Pretty impressed with this 31 yr old 116k mile car!

While I am out in this area, is there anywhere else people recommend stopping? I am on a somewhat tight time frame, but I made it further tonight than I originally planned so I do have a little extra time.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,442 Likes on 2,801 Posts

If you dont have Chick Fil A out by you... get that for sure.

Last edited by FAUEE; 05-18-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:48 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JP90
Wednesday I decided I would take a road trip Friday-Tuesday, Thursday I figured out where I was going to go. The Goal? Just get out and drive my car, and that I did today. I drove from central Iowa to Bowling Green, Kentucky. I must say, I am very surprised at how much fun it was even at the end of 10hrs, surprisingly comfortable as well. I intend to hit the museum in the morning and then motor off to Deal's Gap. Should be a fun day, going out that far its also going to be a long drive back. Even in the heat and traffic of ST. Louis it handled it like a champ. Pretty impressed with this 31 yr old 116k mile car!

While I am out in this area, is there anywhere else people recommend stopping? I am on a somewhat tight time frame, but I made it further tonight than I originally planned so I do have a little extra time.

I am jealous. Sounds like a great time. On my bucket list for sure. Getting old sucks..haha.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 AM
JP90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FAUEE
If you dont have Chick Fil A out by you... get that for sure.
We have one, I did try waffle house for the first time though, we don't have those up my way.

Originally Posted by ZHammer
I am jealous. Sounds like a great time. On my bucket list for sure. Getting old sucks..haha.
I am currently waiting for the doors to open. Looks like there will be a carshow today, not sticking around for that though, I am more into driving than standing around in the hot sun lol. Tail of the dragon is a bucket list item for me, and I figured since I am going to it for the first time in a corvette I need to stop here as well lol.
I've actually been on a bucket list kick for some reason, this will be the 2nd item I have crossed off it in 2 weeks.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:37 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,442 Likes on 2,801 Posts

You could go to Gatlinburg and get plastered off moonshine tastings. Or keep driving east to visit the biltmore mansion in Asheville. Go a little further and you can see Mt. Mitchell, the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi. Theres no shortage of awesome driving roads in the area too. Or you could cruise on the blue ridge parkway for a bit. All depends on what you're into and have time for.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:00 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I did a similar trip a few years ago. It was a lot of fun.

Tip. Wash your car before going through the Tail of the Dragon. There are several photographers on the route and they have some really good pictures of your car going through the turns. When I went there I had 1000 miles of dirt and bugs, so although I liked to see the car, I didn't get the pictures I wanted.

Where in IA? My wife grew up east of Des Moines, and I went to Iowa State. When I drove through there Thursday evening/night we had a downpour that was moving with us along I-80. It was one of the heaviest rains I have been in. Most cars and trucks had the 4 way flashers on and only doing about 30 or 40 mph. What was really crazy was that the storm seemed to be moving with us. From about Newton to Davenport (120 miles) it was like that all the way

Have fun on your trip.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

After deals gap go on to fontana dam then go across to robbinville and get on the cherohala skyway. foothills parkway is a good drive also
Old 05-19-2019, 08:45 AM
JP90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FAUEE
You could go to Gatlinburg and get plastered off moonshine tastings. Or keep driving east to visit the biltmore mansion in Asheville. Go a little further and you can see Mt. Mitchell, the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi. Theres no shortage of awesome driving roads in the area too. Or you could cruise on the blue ridge parkway for a bit. All depends on what you're into and have time for.
Blue ridge parkway is on the list for next time I come out this direction, alot of what you mentioned I know the wife would like to see. I will be back out here hopefully next year. Had to cut the trip alittle short this time unfortunately.
Originally Posted by QCVette
I did a similar trip a few years ago. It was a lot of fun.

Tip. Wash your car before going through the Tail of the Dragon. There are several photographers on the route and they have some really good pictures of your car going through the turns. When I went there I had 1000 miles of dirt and bugs, so although I liked to see the car, I didn't get the pictures I wanted.

Where in IA? My wife grew up east of Des Moines, and I went to Iowa State. When I drove through there Thursday evening/night we had a downpour that was moving with us along I-80. It was one of the heaviest rains I have been in. Most cars and trucks had the 4 way flashers on and only doing about 30 or 40 mph. What was really crazy was that the storm seemed to be moving with us. From about Newton to Davenport (120 miles) it was like that all the way

Have fun on your trip.
I tried to find a carwash, but apparently I just didn't look hard enough, I'll go through the pics they have on my laptop when I get home, look ok from my phone.
I actually live in Des Moines, and those storms were nuts, when I left my house on my motorcycle to go to a friend's a few miles away radar was clear, 10 minutes later I was hauling rear home and just beat the storms by about 2 minutes lol.

Originally Posted by chevyman_ky
After deals gap go on to fontana dam then go across to robbinville and get on the cherohala skyway. foothills parkway is a good drive also
The Skyway was cool! Happened upon that by accident and got lots of cool pics, the car wasn't happy with me though, oil temp at one point hit 270s and coolant almost 240...it survived though.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:26 PM
JP90
Intermediate

I am back home now, 1851 miles in total, averaged about 22mpg hand calculating it (computer says alittle over 24mpg) overall it was fun, makes a much better road trip car than I would have guessed, and I now have some things to focus on for what to service/fix next.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:04 AM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Sounds like a blast. My son and I are about to make the same trip. Hopefully ours will turn out as well as yours did.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:08 AM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

Awesome trip! Congrats on the wonderful time.

I just did a trip to a Smoky Mountain cabin including driving through Smoky Mountain National Park, Nantahala National Forest, and South Cumberland State Park. What a blast!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:24 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Yes these cars are surprisingly good for road trips... I mean, they have a reputation as being impractical, which they are compared to other vehicles, but still have surprising comfort and storage space in back. The seats are wonderful. I am taking mine down the Pacific coast highway next month, can't wait!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 PM
JP90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 95LT1ZF
Sounds like a blast. My son and I are about to make the same trip. Hopefully ours will turn out as well as yours did.
Have fun! Hopefully you will have more time to fully explore than I did, I started having some bad heat related illness symptoms and didn't feel being 800 miles from home was a good idea anymore, so I had to cut my trip a day short.
Originally Posted by puterami
Awesome trip! Congrats on the wonderful time.

I just did a trip to a Smoky Mountain cabin including driving through Smoky Mountain National Park, Nantahala National Forest, and South Cumberland State Park. What a blast!
Nice! It really is beautiful country through there, especially compared to the boring flat lands of central Iowa lol.
The following users liked this post:
puterami (05-21-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:34 PM
JP90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DGXR
Yes these cars are surprisingly good for road trips... I mean, they have a reputation as being impractical, which they are compared to other vehicles, but still have surprising comfort and storage space in back. The seats are wonderful. I am taking mine down the Pacific coast highway next month, can't wait!
Impractical is truely in the eyes of the beholder, I am 28, with an 8yr old and been married for longer, 90% of the vehicles I have owned have been 2 door or 2 seater which was "fun" in the car seat stages...but worth it to me lol.
That should be a fantastic trip! That is another trip that is on my bucket list, along with the great river road, the great alaskan highway and Route 66. So many road trips I gotta do and not nearly enough time! lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Road tripping my C4

Quick Reply: Road tripping my C4