C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1994 LT1 trouble starting when hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 PM
Michael.parker1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 LT1 trouble starting when hot

I recently bought a 94 LT1 corvette and on the first day I had it drove it about an hour and a half back home with one quick stop to show a friend and then brought it back home. Now my actual problem starts when we got home after that, had the car turned off for around 15 minutes and went to go start it and put it in the garage and it started for a second and then died and it just kept doing that until I gave up, went out to start it again about two to three hours later after it’s cooled down and it starts up fine, next morning it starts up fine gets me to work and I come back home for lunch, went back out to start it and again like 15 minutes later and it starts and dies starts and dies, let it cool down again and it starts up fine. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I have checked MAF sensor plug and it does not seem clogged up or anything, my best guess is it’s something fuel related and possibly a fuel pump or something but I’m a little stumped on why it only happens when it’s hot. The coolant is pretty dirty and I planned on doing a coolant flush to see if that helps any but I’m guessing it won’t change much since it’s not overheated to to bad, it’s gotten to around 230 but even when it’s that hot it runs fine, the issue is only when I’m trying to start it, and even if the temp drops to 175 or so it still won’t start it has to be completely cooled down before it will start up again. If anyone’s got any sort of advice they could give me I would appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:04 AM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

It could be a lot of things, but my 94 had the same issue and a new idle air control valve fixed it. Before you replace the IAC try this. Next time it won’t start, unplug the IAC for a few seconds to reset it, and plug it back in, then try starting the car again. The IAC is on the bottom passenger side of the throttle body.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:25 PM
Michael.parker1
Advanced

Originally Posted by JBPC4
It could be a lot of things, but my 94 had the same issue and a new idle air control valve fixed it. Before you replace the IAC try this. Next time it won’t start, unplug the IAC for a few seconds to reset it, and plug it back in, then try starting the car again. The IAC is on the bottom passenger side of the throttle body.
I Replaced the IAC and it’s working perfectly now thanks for the help, I did try to unplug it and plug it back in and that did not help it but after replacing it it’s working perfectly again, thanks
Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

My '94 had a similar issue on a hot day. It was running at around 220-230 degrees, I parked it, restarted it and it misfired. Eventually got it running. At the time, my AC was low on Freon and I was running recycled air. I had the Freon replaced and circulating the air, the car is running much cooler now and hasn't repeated those symptoms. Not sure if this is what you're experiencing too but figured I'd mention it.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 AM
Michael.parker1
Advanced

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
My '94 had a similar issue on a hot day. It was running at around 220-230 degrees, I parked it, restarted it and it misfired. Eventually got it running. At the time, my AC was low on Freon and I was running recycled air. I had the Freon replaced and circulating the air, the car is running much cooler now and hasn't repeated those symptoms. Not sure if this is what you're experiencing too but figured I'd mention it.

Was your AC working ok when it had low Freon? Mine works fine however I do think my engine runs a little to hot, or atleast hotter than I’d like it too, even after sitting at a stop light for 30 seconds it’ll climb up to 220-235 in no time, while driving it sticks between 200-220 depending on how hard I’m on the throttle but as soon as I hit a stop light or slow driving it rises pretty quickly, I’ve heard the cooling system on the LT1 wasn’t exactly perfect but is there anything you know of I could do to it to help it out? Ive already done a coolant flush and put a 180 degree thermostat in, do you think going to 160 would help any?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael.parker1
Was your AC working ok when it had low Freon? Mine works fine however I do think my engine runs a little to hot, or atleast hotter than I’d like it too, even after sitting at a stop light for 30 seconds it’ll climb up to 220-235 in no time, while driving it sticks between 200-220 depending on how hard I’m on the throttle but as soon as I hit a stop light or slow driving it rises pretty quickly, I’ve heard the cooling system on the LT1 wasn’t exactly perfect but is there anything you know of I could do to it to help it out? Ive already done a coolant flush and put a 180 degree thermostat in, do you think going to 160 would help any?
The air was blowing fine, but it was warm air. Stopping at a light shouldn't spike the temps that much. Mine was running hot sitting in 30-40 minutes of heavy traffic that particular day, especially as I had recycled air on. The car relies heavily on airflow with the car moving and the AC blowing so the fans activate. I've been told the cars are designed to run hot but it is unsettling and as you and I have experienced, it can be problematic.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 LT1 trouble starting when hot

Quick Reply: 1994 LT1 trouble starting when hot