C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

84 corvette flooding

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 09:57 PM
Johnny James
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 corvette flooding

TI have a 84 corvette to get it to start I have to press the pedal to the floor after it starts it has a rough idle and is flooding real bad no codes from the ecm I noticed the fuel pump does not shut off after 2 seconds when I turn the key on it will continue to run as long as I leave the key on till I start it do you guys think this would cause it to flood ?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If the injectors aren't dripping no. I would check fuel pump relay for being stuck on or custom wiring. Vacuum leaks, coolant sensor and connector for running rich. Original coolant and air temperature sensors had issues with connectors. Connector is round , it was was replaced with a 2 terminal inline connector which required new sensor.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Johnny James
8th Gear

I was getting a code for the coolant sensor I checked it it wasn’t hooked up I hooked it up ran the car still flooding but now I am not getting any codes I checked the fuel presser regulators they looked good and I checked the fuel pump relay it is good but I think someone was straight wired the pump what I am wondering is if the fuel pump runs all the time will that cause it to flood?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Only if injector is leaking. If injector is dripping when engine isn't running. If not no.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:36 PM
Johnny James
8th Gear

Thanks for the info I am just puzzled with this car when I bought it it ran ok I noticed that none of the sensors where plugged up and it had a lot of vacuum leaks I plugged the sensors up and fixed the vacuum leaks and set the timing and stared having trouble I have worked on cars all my life but this car has got me pulling my hair out could the coolant sensor be bad and the computer not throw a code ?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Invest in a scanner. OTC Monitor 2000 and Snap On MT2500 were popular in 84. You will need correct cables and cartridges. Monitor4000 and Tech1 are also good but you have to have GM cartridges.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:48 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

It could be the Coolant temp sensor. Test it.

Kevova is right to check to see if fuel is coming out of the injectors, key on, engine off.

This is a simple EFI system. Don't pull your hair out.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny James
I checked the fuel pressure regulators they looked good and I checked the fuel pump relay it is good but I think someone was straight wired the pump what I am wondering is if the fuel pump runs all the time will that cause it to flood?
How long have you owned this car? How many miles on the car? To answer your question: no, running the fuel pump all the time will not cause the engine to flood. To ask a question: How did you check the fuel pressure regulators? If the engine is flooding, try disconnecting the fuel injectors, then turn on the ignition. (Pinch the tabs on the top of each injector.) Do the fuel injectors dribble when the engine is not running?

Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts

The 84s had a coolant temp sensor that had a connector like a GM knock sensor, they are trouble some. Best to replace the sensor and connector with the newer design. On my 84 I once had an issue with the fuel pump running even with the key out. I found a bulletin that said check the oil pressure switch. Early & late 84s have different switches. I replaced the switch and its been fine.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I had a similar issue with my '84. Problem was the front coolant sensor. When it fails the computer thinks the engine is always cold and feeds too much fuel accordingly. Supposedly a pretty common failure. Mine failed at 36k miles.....of course the car was already 33 years old.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:21 AM
Johnny James
8th Gear

I have had the car about a year now it has 107.000 miles on it l took the regulators apart and inspected them and done a pressure test I will do that test on the injectors and let you know
Old 05-27-2019, 11:30 AM
Johnny James
8th Gear

Originally Posted by divotdug
I had a similar issue with my '84. Problem was the front coolant sensor. When it fails the computer thinks the engine is always cold and feeds too much fuel accordingly. Supposedly a pretty common failure. Mine failed at 36k miles.....of course the car was already 33 years old.
Did the computer give you a code I did get a code for the coolant sensor I checked it it was unplugged I plugged it up reset the computer and now I am not getting any codes I think it is a sensor because after I reset the computer the car will run fine for about a minute till the computer starts reading the sensors then it starts flooding did you get a check engine light when yours went bad?
Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny James
Did the computer give you a code I did get a code for the coolant sensor I checked it it was unplugged I plugged it up reset the computer and now I am not getting any codes I think it is a sensor because after I reset the computer the car will run fine for about a minute till the computer starts reading the sensors then it starts flooding did you get a check engine light when yours went bad?
Had no codes, no check engine light. Had a flooding, high idle situation. Knew the front sensor was a common failure and mine was still the original.. Replaced it and all was good.

Last edited by divotdug; 05-27-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 84 corvette flooding

Quick Reply: 84 corvette flooding