C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1987 Corvette manual 4+3 shifter and transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 07:30 PM
1987 c4 4+3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Corvette manual 4+3 shifter and transmission issue

Hello everyone and thank you for your time.
I've recently rebuilt my corvettes engine all the way down to the clutch, I've installed a new throwout bearing and pilot bearing as well as a new clutch fork. I have no leaks in the slave cylinder and the clutch goes through all the gears easy with the engine off and On. The only issue I had before I pulled the engine was my reverse making a whirling noise but not moving me anywhere. So I researched and
I believe it is because I have a bad OD unit.
Which brings me to the issues.
My OD was acting up so I decided to change the relays, drained the pan, cleaned the pan, and replaced the gaskets I then sealed it with rtv and no more leaks. Of course the fluid that came out looked more like motor oil than ATF. So there was a lot of my problem or so I thought. (Magnet was also fairly clean)
So then while I was down there I noticed my linkage cover was leaking to, so I got into it and decided to change the shifter forks out for new ones. I then put everything back sealed it and again everything seemed to work fine.
The car goes into all the gears but the ISSUES NOW ARE
1. No deceleration upon downshifting.
It just feels like it coasts.
2. When I downshift into 1st gear I can feel as if there was something hitting the shifter from underneath.
Along with a tapping noise.
My question is. Is this due to something I did with the shifter forks, or is this all attributed to the bad OD Unit??
Can I replace the OD unit without taking the whole transmission out ?
Thank you so much for reading. This is my first actual vehicle project and I'm learning a whole lot.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:34 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

A free Wheeling Doug Nash $4+3 when coasting downhill, The OD is more than likely the problem.

Was the OD working properly prior to the engine rebuild ?

Did you split the case on the Trans and remove the OD unit ?

Smell and Feel of the OD fluid, was is thicker the Automatic Trans Fluid and smell some like gear oil ?

If so the seal between the OD and Trans is leaking. Rebuild time.

Michael..
Old 07-20-2020, 11:52 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default 4+3

You messed up with the forks, putting the cover plate back on.
take it back off, look at the bolt holes on the cover, line up the groove On the synchro according to the holes, slide it on.
i have a 4+3 in my 57 chevy truck, and changed the overdrive, its easy to misalign the cover.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 07-20-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 Corvette manual 4+3 shifter and transmission issue

Quick Reply: 1987 Corvette manual 4+3 shifter and transmission issue