1994 no start no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 09:43 AM
pilotgmb
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 no start no spark

Hello all,

I know his is a big topic as I have read all the optispark info on here and watched a ton of youtube videos, but here goes.
Car is a 1994 conv with 6 spd. it has approx. 40,000miles on it and I bought it 4 years ago from original owner who seldom used it.
I have not had an ounce of problems with this car till this spring.
Last fall I put car in my friends non heated garage as I have done every winter. Put battery on tender fuel stabil in tank etc. Turned off key and covered it up and left for the winter.
This spring I walk in to get my car and notice a stain on my car cover, I look up toward rafters and see a squirrel looking don at me,
I think oh geezuz how long has this thing been here.
I remove cover and everything looks fine. Open hood and no evidence of squirrel nest or debris. I go to fire up car and it cranks but wont start.
So..... my first thought is the squirrel got into the wiring?

I search the internet and find this forum and quickly learn about optispark. Until then I had no clue what that was.
So I have confirmed I have fuel pressure with a gauge I confirmed I do not have spark at plugs.
I had a gm tech come by to do some testing and he was quite certain it was the icm so we changed that out to a new delco unit but still nothing.

Fuses are good, I tested 4 wire harness going to icm two wires have 12v power one is the ground and I confirmed there is ground, last wire should have 1-5 ac volts, I do not have that!
So what tests can I do next? I spent 140 cdn for nothing on new icm I want to try and confirm for crtain the opti is dead before undertaking that big project.

Thanks to all who may reply!

Geoff

Quick Reply: 1994 no start no spark