C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Depressed w/ my purchase of my c4 auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:13 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Selling it depends on what area the OP lives in and how much he is willing to lose. I looked today, and in a circle with Akron Ohio as the center, extending over the border into Michigan,Indiana W. Va and Pa there are 138 C4's for sale on Craigslist. This does not take into account the ones sitting on dealer lots and in driveways with For Sale signs.

As I said above and the OP mentioned, there are not that many C4 buyers. The market is flooded.

It will cost at least $2000 (more if they remove it and put it back in) to have that 700R4 brought up to a level where it will survive road racing. It can be done

https://www.tciauto.com/700-r4-full-...e-braking.html

https://www.sonnax.com/gm_4l60e

You will need the internals built, there are some build recipes with part nbrs on the Sonnax link above. Plus as I said, you will need a GOOD transmission cooler.

I have a 4L60E in my '96 and I will be building/having it built to a level that will more than support the HP I will have (going to have a lot of cushion built in). I will be putting a good sized cooler with fan back where the spare tire used to be at on my car.

I am going to fabricate a spare tire delete bracket so to speak and use it to support the cooler and fan,

Heat from road racing will kill even a built trans and one with miles on it probably won't last long.

Depending on the local market you (OP) are in, it might cost close to the same to do the trans as it would losing money trying to sell it and having to undercut everyone else trying to sell their A4 C4 Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
pooled (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 10:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by pooled
It was a metaphor, nobody is going to laugh at me, I thought everyone would understand that but maybe there are ******** from where you live that would laugh at you. The whole message is what I want and how I made the mistake of just going by looks and condition for the year.

I am into road racing and the high HP cars that were automatic I drove on one of the test and tune days was just not going to cut it, with my mustang 5-speed I use to have, the manual transmission was more imporrant than the brakes, and the low gear speed for turns that come up too quick for the automatics, theres usually one good straight away. I also drove the mclaren and ferrarri when the ulimate extreme came to town last month. 3 laps with each, all the super cars are automatics for obvious reasons so they can sell a lot of laps to people that probably cant drive a standard.

Please let me know what town your from so I will stay away, I dont want people to misinterpret my metaphor or if they are just ******** and laugh me out of town.
I apologize. My metaphor app is not working. It has been my experience that people who cannot say what they mean, can't mean what they say.

Again, if all you are doing is tracking, use a stick.

I'm not following you so before I go there, can you explain? Having seen threads from all over about "only manuals are real sports cars", I'm not sure where to tell you to avoid besides continental USA.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

If it was that easy to just sell and get what one with the transmission I want that would be awesome. I dont live in Dallas where theres a ton of people looking for c4 vettes let alone selling one I actually need.

It takes time, theres also the head game, where you try to make the best of it and modify it, if it were easy it wouldnt have posted anything, I was hoping to get some encouragment from veteran vette owners on how to make your auto better, or maybe i shoud put it up for sale and get something else. I dont know, I got a couple of real helpful people but I get one guy that wants me to kill myself by driving off into a lake, and one wants to slap me. Theres quite a few really helpful and nice guys in this club, offline and online, but there are a lot of just plan jack asses.

Its not like sportbike rider club or mustange groups, where they will stop to help you on the side of the road, some of these vette owners would rather run me over. niight and day difference.
See, why didn't you say "I want a cheap and easy fix for a bad purchase."? That would have been easier to follow. If someone wants it bad enough, they will ship it or come get it.

You didn't state what exactly you were willing to suffer as a loss for what gains you want. If you are willing to bite the bullet and maybe knock off a couple grand just to move it, I'm sure you will. This is kinda like being married to a bad spouse and you spend a few grand to get rid of him/her and live a happier life. You want it better, have the auto built. Problem is that if it isn't a manual, IDK if you will be happy throwing good money after bad so why recommend that? As to driving into a lake, nobody said anything about drowning you. It's about an insurance claim. Take the money and buy what you want.

Sure. And that is what the bike and Mustang crowd I was with say about the Corvette people. They will go out of their way to help you, etc, etc but you don't seem to feel the love. Neighbor's grass is greener.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:51 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

If it was that easy to just sell and get what one with the transmission I want that would be awesome. I dont live in Dallas where theres a ton of people looking for c4 vettes let alone selling one I actually need. It takes time, theres also the head game, where you try to make the best of it and modify it, if it were easy it wouldnt have posted anything, I was hoping to get some encouragment from veteran vette owners on how to make your auto better, or maybe i shoud put it up for sale and get something else. I dont know, I got a couple of real helpful people but I get one guy that wants me to kill myself by driving off into a lake, and one wants to slap me. Theres quite a few really helpful and nice guys in this club, offline and online, but there are a lot of just plan jack asses. Its not like sportbike rider club or mustange groups, where they will stop to help you on the side of the road, some of these vette owners would rather run me over. niight and day difference.
Maybe they were just using metaphors!
vette196 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:56 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I fought with the same issue of wanting the 6 speed years ago. I finally sold my 89 auto and bought an 89 with the zF6. Much different car. The rear gears have a lot to do with the lame feel of the stock geared autos. BTW, the first fast car I ever rode in was a 5 sped fix body.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:35 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

You could swap to a 4l60e and add paddle shifters.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ion-type/4l60e
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

One thing people will tell you on this site A LOT is to not settle. Wait and buy EXACTLY what you want. I sort of listened in that I got a manual, but I did settle for black interior when I really wanted the red interior. I still love my 95 M6, but in the back of my mind, I always regret not waiting for one with the red interior. I’m looking for a C6 now and will not get one unless it has the red interior. Live and learn.

My two copper coins....look for EXACTLY what you want and buy it. No compromises.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Rich old men too lazy to shift gears.

Viewed it as a fiberglass extension and not a sportscar

Last edited by dizwiz24; 06-03-2019 at 10:28 AM.
pooled (07-12-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by 95LT1ZF
One thing people will tell you on this site A LOT is to not settle. Wait and buy EXACTLY what you want. I sort of listened in that I got a manual, but I did settle for black interior when I really wanted the red interior. I still love my 95 M6, but in the back of my mind, I always regret not waiting for one with the red interior. I’m looking for a C6 now and will not get one unless it has the red interior. Live and learn.

My two copper coins....look for EXACTLY what you want and buy it. No compromises.
Please dont make the mistake of selling your c4 when you get a c6

ive seen that mistake made many times. People sell their c4 for peanuts to get ‘the newer model’
Old 06-03-2019, 09:51 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

bought it as a fiberglass extension and not a sportscar

That has got to be one of the dumbest statements ever issued on this site! Must be a lot of lazy rich old men on this earth then considering autos outnumber sticks by a mile. Your statement makes about as much sense as someone saying YOU became an engineer because you didn't want a real job.
The following 3 users liked this post by arbee:
Crossed Flags Fan (06-07-2019), ctmccloskey (06-04-2019), Mr. Peabody (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Trying to decide whether to put on performance parts prior to a sale attempt is a tough call and also depends on the replacement planned.

Rarely will you get your money back out of modifications when you sell the car. However if the mods make it more enjoyable for you, then it may be worth the expense even if temporary. Depending on mods, can they be used on a replacement? For example some things might be specific to one car vs another like fitment on an L98 vs LT1 or early vs late interiors, wheels, transmissions, etc.

Generally making performance mods to a car you are going to sell is a losing proposition. If you select a replacement car that can use the mods, it could be a better choice to put them on the replacement when you get it.

Good luck with your choices.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:21 AM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Please dont make the mistake of selling your c4 when you get a c6

ive seen that mistake made many times. People sell their c4 for peanuts to get ‘the newer model’
Lol. No. Plan on keeping both.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95LT1ZF:
DaleDawg (06-06-2019), dizwiz24 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

bought it as a fiberglass extension and not a sportscar
Please let me know what town your from so I will stay away, I dont want people to misinterpret my metaphor or if they are just ******** and laugh me out of town.
Start with his town, and the list goes on.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by arbee
That has got to be one of the dumbest statements ever issued on this site! Must be a lot of lazy rich old men on this earth then considering autos outnumber sticks by a mile. Your statement makes about as much sense as someone saying YOU became an engineer because you didn't want a real job.
The OP questioned why so many c4s came with an auto.

thats the answer.

Give me a better one and i will re-consider.
It is odd how high of a percentage of corvettes are automatic.

conversely if you look at rx-7s, 300zx’s , from the same time period you will prob find the ratios flip flopped. Prob 70% manual and 30% auto.

its not meant as an insult to anyone . Auto and manual c4’s are BOTH amazing sportscars. I like BOTH but prefer the manual. If it was my DD or grocery getter, yeah i might want the auto.

the auto is going to win in a drag race, so it has its advantages.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 06-03-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

You could put a wild shift kit in it that would light the tires up on 1-2 & 2-3, snap your neck shifts, and include manual only shifting. Put a 3.73 gear behind it and you'll forget all about a third pedal. Torque converter would only need to be changed if you changed out the cam or blow it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by pacoW:
AgentEran (06-04-2019), dizwiz24 (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 01:56 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

The OP questioned why so many c4s came with an auto.

thats the answer.

Give me a better one and i will re-consider.
It is odd how high of a percentage of corvettes are automatic.

conversely if you look at rx-7s, 300zx’s , from the same time period you will prob find the ratios flip flopped. Prob 70% manual and 30% auto.

its not meant as an insult to anyone . Auto and manual c4’s are BOTH amazing sportscars. I like BOTH but prefer the manual. If it was my DD or grocery getter, yeah i might want the auto.

the auto is going to win in a drag race, so it has its advantages.
Are you for real? You make a statement that insinuates that if you are old and rich then you must be lazy because you prefer an auto over a stick. Then you say "it's not meant as an insult to anyone"! I got news for you Hoss - I am one of those "old and rich" guys but can guarantee you I am not FKN lazy! Your statement is an oxymoron anyways, because any of us "old and rich lazy guys" know that the two don't go hand in hand. It is only the Gen X and Millenials that think money and success falls out of the trees.
The following 4 users liked this post by arbee:
81c3 (06-14-2019), Crossed Flags Fan (06-07-2019), ctmccloskey (06-04-2019), rick 35th edition (06-14-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by arbee
Are you for real? You make a statement that insinuates that if you are old and rich then you must be lazy because you prefer an auto over a stick. Then you say "it's not meant as an insult to anyone"! I got news for you Hoss - I am one of those "old and rich" guys but can guarantee you I am not FKN lazy! Your statement is an oxymoron anyways, because any of us "old and rich lazy guys" know that the two don't go hand in hand. It is only the Gen X and Millenials that think money and success falls out of the trees.
Gen X and Millennials don't think that. They believe it is owed to them. No offense.
The following 2 users liked this post by aklim:
81c3 (06-14-2019), ctmccloskey (06-04-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Depressed w/ my purchase of my c4 auto

Old 06-04-2019, 04:46 AM
Mity2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought AT. I wanted the manual, but as I got older, and having an issue with knees, and fact I could have wife drive when I get tired on highway were all great reason for me to buy an AT.
plus An occasional spirited take off at the traffic light to impress the cute little blond in VW cabriolet when wife isn’t in the car is like all the racing I do these days anyway...

Last edited by Mity2; 06-04-2019 at 04:49 AM.
pooled (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 06:23 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I bought my c4 auto, in 2014, I loved the looks of it and since I had sold mustang 5.0 I built for speed a few years back. I decided to I had to have this, I have no clue why I bought an automatic, I hate them, I just bought a bunch of performance parts for it but so far they are sitting unopened, whats the use, I am into road racing at a speedway we have close by, and I can't use an automatic. It cost way too much to convert it. I paid $5500 for the car. I guess my only options are to sell it and try to find a 5-speed so I can still use the new parts. Keep it as a daily driver put on the perf parts, buy another mustang where all the owners bought a manual trans new and try to make the suspension close to a vette which will be tough. WHY DID ALL THESE NEW VETTE PURCHASERS BUY AUTOMATIC, my thoughts are is because they are all older and enjoy cruising. I think back to that moment i bought it and want to slap myself and run and buy a real road racer vette with the right trans.
Over 75% of new C7 Corvettes are auto trannys, someone obviously likes them
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mity2
plus An occasional spirited take off at the traffic light to impress the cute little blond in VW cabriolet when wife isn’t in the car is like all the racing I do these days anyway...
Pictures or it didn't happen

Quick Reply: Depressed w/ my purchase of my c4 auto