Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Best mod for my use? Any help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:28 AM
I_am_Gert
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best mod for my use? Any help appreciated!

First of all I would like to say that I am new to this forum so If this is in the wrong place, my apologies. Have been a long time user in the sense that I came here for lots of GREAT info and how-to's but first time posting. I have read some other threads that talk about these things but have either gotten mixed responses or not the answer I was looking for. So i just bought my first decent C4 and am planning to keep and love her for a long time so here is my info and questions:
It's a 94. Automatic. 125xxx miles. base model.
Questions:
-What is the best exhaust to buy for my application. I enjoy the metallic raspiness sound ( i have read that many people dont) but with a good grumble and would like it a bit louder from stock exhaust. I also want to switch to the newer ZR-1 tips such as these.

-Switch to 3.54 or 3.73 gears? I read in the thread listed alot of good info but had alot of mixed answers. Basically I know upgrading to a dana 44 is the way to go for the lower gearing but for my application I am going to have to stick with the dana 36 for now. If I go to a 3.73 in the dana 36 am I going to grenade it? I dont drag race at all. Just a cruiser and at most I might give it a little punch off the line when I want to feel some g's. Also any pointers on how easy that is yourself or if its worth having a shop do it ( I would like the speedo working correctly too), would be appreciated. (Other Thread)

-Rear half-shaft u-joints are clicking under hard acceleration. Any tips on replacing and any info on other things to replace while im down there and have it torn apart?

-Any other obvious and somewhat cheaper mods I should know about that would fit my need?

Again if this is misplaced or has been answered correctly before, sorry.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:49 AM
Blackcorvette_85
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your in the exact right place to ask. The problem with the exhaust question and why the answers are so mixed,is its a lot of it is personal preference for how it sounds. Im guessing a bit, but probably most of the name brand after market mufflers have similar performance. Probably best if you can just hear some different vettes. Is there a local vet club around you? Why do you need to stick with a dana 36? Pulling the rear ends arent terrible on these cars, but changing the gears takes some skill and advanced tools. Not something Id want to do, but swapping rear ends I would not be scared of at all. Would have to pretty much pull it to swap gears anyway. Dana 44s pop up fairly regularly in decent shape for around 1-1.5k with around the gearing your looking for. Im guessing you would spend close to that much on gears and probably more having someone else do it. As for 3.54 to 3.73, there decently close. Id prefer the 3.54 if it was me. The higher the gears, the more low end and less high end your going to get, kind of just another personal preference question. If your pulling everything apart, might as well change all your bushings while your at it. I dont think the 36 would blow up changing gears by any means, I think they are a pretty strong rear end by the own rights, but if you plan to keep building more power over time a dana 44 is the way to go. Best of luck and welcome to owning a vette and the forum
Old 06-06-2019, 04:47 AM
Steves LS6
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

If you are not drag racing and this car is mostly going to be a cruiser I would find out how high the rpm’s are going to be on the highway with each gear. If you have a loud exhaust and it drones it might be uncomfortable at highway speeds with a steep gear and the 4 speed auto. Just my opinion.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 PM
I_am_Gert
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info. I will definitely look into just getting a dana 44 when I go to do the swap. Honestly don't have a ton of experience with gearing so I'm just trying to get as much helpful info as possible before I dive into and regret my decisions. I originally said I had to stick with the dana 36 because money is a bit tight right now but sounds like ill just wait for a dana 44 to show up on the market. Thank you for the quick reply.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:33 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

If it was me, I would look for a dana 44 with 3.45 gears. They are common and can be purchased already set up. But ideally I would rather have 3.73 on a stock motor if money was not an issue. Also, if emissions are not important, I would keep the stock exhaust, but put on long tube headers. It will be louder and has the rasp sound from the headers.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

How big is your wallet? THAT will dictate how much of your goal you can possibly achieve.

Lets fix the more important stuff first. The clicking should be taken care of first before trying other stuff. You don't need any more variables.

Last edited by aklim; 06-06-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Welcome to the world of C4. 94 is a great year.

If you prefer the "raspy sound" then the BEST exhaust for your application is the CORSA cat back exhaust. It will give you the sound that you are looking for. The added bonus is that along with the stock dual exhaust the corsa system is the only other exhaust that does not produce the dreaded drone at HW cruising rpm. It looks really nice ............. got $1,500.00? to get that sound you want??

Those chrome tips you show are nice looking. Just realize they will add nothing to the performance or the sound of the exhaust.

The clicking sound does need to be resolved first as it may end up being a safety issue. You do not want a u-joint letting go.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:14 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If the op is not going to drag race the car, the Dana 36 should do just fine. Why throw an extra grand or more into the mix? He could spend that somewhere else. He's not going to blow a 36 with street tires and an automatic.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:21 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

my exhaust is not corsa and there is no droning at all. BUT, I do have headers, true duals and an X crossover, no cats. If you do go after a D44, be sure to get the driveshaft as well as the sbeam between the tranny and pumpkin.I have all that laying on my garage floor, just havent done a changeover yet and have the 354 gears next to it. Not sure if I will do it. For me, its only my opinion, you gotta have the header sound too.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 383vett
If the op is not going to drag race the car, the Dana 36 should do just fine. Why throw an extra grand or more into the mix? He could spend that somewhere else. He's not going to blow a 36 with street tires and an automatic.

I would agree with you most the time, but, when mine was stock, I purchased a 3.54 dana 36 through ZIP. I had a 3000 stall yank converter, but only ran michelin pilot tires. I cracked one of the bearing caps.
In his case, my only thought was a D44 with a 3.45 gear would get him close to a 3.54 or 3.73 for about the same price as having someone put the gears in his existing d36. Then if the bug bites and he wants more power, he would be better set for it.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:46 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
my exhaust is not corsa and there is no droning at all. BUT, I do have headers, true duals and an X crossover, no cats. If you do go after a D44, be sure to get the driveshaft as well as the sbeam between the tranny and pumpkin.I have all that laying on my garage floor, just havent done a changeover yet and have the 354 gears next to it. Not sure if I will do it. For me, its only my opinion, you gotta have the header sound too.

I agree, I have Long tube headers, no cats, stock resonator and magnaflow mufflers. Mine does not drone, but its a Vert, and that may make a difference.
Currently I am running the factory exhaust with mufflers, no cats and headers. I did this to quieten it down some
The bonus to this is, there is power to be had with the long tubes. There is little if any with an aftermarket exhaust

Get notified of new replies

To Best mod for my use? Any help appreciated!

Quick Reply: Best mod for my use? Any help appreciated!