C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

CD 92 "door ajar" light keeps flashing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 09:08 AM
rolinger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CD 92 "door ajar" light keeps flashing

My door ajar light inconsistently flashes while driving. The interior lights come too indicating the car thinks one of the doors is not fully shut. However, the doors are solidly shut. It even happens when the car is turned off. If I lock and shut the doors...within 10-15 seconds the car alarm starts honking because it thinks the door was opened while locked.

Also, I just finished refurbishing the entire stereo system - I removed the carpets sills, the front speakers, the main stereo unit and the CDM receiver, and after being returned to me, I then reinstalled everything. I also took the time to replace the carpets on the sill fiberglass shells before reinstall them.

What could possibly be causing the car to think the doors aren't fully shut when in fact they are? I am thinking I didn't re-install something properly that is causing the issue - possibly some sensor that is being interfered with or not plugged back in fully.

Last edited by rolinger; 06-06-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:54 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

common problem, the 'plunger' on the door that lets it know the door is open is worn out. you can add a small spacer and it will add some life to it in my experience. something like a self stick clear spacer that would be used on glass tables, etc. The correct fix is a new door plunger but they are somewhat of a pain to change because the inside door panel has to come off.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:00 AM
rolinger
Advanced

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
common problem, the 'plunger' on the door that lets it know the door is open is worn out. you can add a small spacer and it will add some life to it in my experience. something like a self stick clear spacer that would be used on glass tables, etc. The correct fix is a new door plunger but they are somewhat of a pain to change because the inside door panel has to come off.
Wow, 27 year old Vette and its the first time its ever happened. So for me...not so common. But I think I was blessed with my 92...only thing I have ever had to replace on the car was the water pump, a dried out radiator feed hose and the antenna.

I have been looking at door sensor videos and threads....seems easy enough to fix. This little trick seems to alleviate having to take the door panel off:

Thanks. Going to check it out. Based on other threads my guess is that its the driver side causing the issue. As others have said the car alarm goes off when the drivers side fails but not the passenger side. Going to start there first.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:30 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Before you replace the switch, the plungers are adjustable. There's a small head on the end of the plunger that contacts the body, pry it out slightly with a small screwdriver. The first time you close the door it will push it back in to the correct length.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 AM
rolinger
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Before you replace the switch, the plungers are adjustable. There's a small head on the end of the plunger that contacts the body, pry it out slightly with a small screwdriver. The first time you close the door it will push it back in to the correct length.
Thanks. I was thinking about doing something like this too. I was reading on other threads where some are advising to add a small washer or something to or behind the plunger pin but they weren't too specific as to how or where to add it. You have any insight on that?
Old 06-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Eilias
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's simple to describe and simple to do.

The "plunger" should be extended when you slip a small rubber o-ring behind it. The o-ring will compress to keep anything from breaking, but prevent the plunger from completely retracting into the housing.

For a "temporary" fix I stuffed some paper behind my door ajar switch plunger about 2 years ago, and it's still working fine. When I go to sell it i'll probably get an o-ring and do it properly.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:28 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

See:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-from-scp.html

Get notified of new replies

To CD 92 "door ajar" light keeps flashing

Quick Reply: CD 92 "door ajar" light keeps flashing