Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Water Leak Drivers Side Door Lower A Pillar area...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:43 PM
89ToyVette
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Leak Drivers Side Door Lower A Pillar area...

Any words of wisdom would be helpful, rain drips down between the drivers door and the side of the dash onto the very front of the still plate area curves up to vertical. It seems to come into the car at the lower A pillar/door area, right were the door weatherstrip meets the A pillar weatherstrip but I see not obvious entry path. Both weatherstrips are in excellent shape and no visible tears. Could it be leaking under the weatherstripping frame that attaches to the windshield frame? I hate to tear out a perfectly good weatherstripping to find it did not fix the leak.

1989 C4

Last edited by 89ToyVette; 06-07-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:23 PM
novaks47
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

It could be coming in from the upper corner where the roof meets the pillar(under the dog ear), and draining down. It could also be coming in from where the edge of the weatherstripping hangs over/meets the door window.

What I've been doing to trace leaks, is to grab a bottle of water, and starting pouring on the suspected area, waiting a minute or so, and watching what the water does, then opening the door to see it's path. If I know there's a leak, and pouring doesn't work, I splash the area a few times and see if that does it. I'll also pour water over any part of the car or weatherstripping that water could travel across to reach the suspect area, as sometimes it's not obvious what route the water is taking to create the leak.

Last edited by novaks47; 06-07-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:10 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

most do it.

mostly because of the windshield trim and/ or the weatherstrip retainer trim.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:19 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

My 84 was leaking in this same spot. Weatherstrip was in great shape as well. Took the windshield trim off and resealed between it and the a- pillar and leak is gone. Hope this works for you as well.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 AM
89ToyVette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by zachaeous
My 84 was leaking in this same spot. Weatherstrip was in great shape as well. Took the windshield trim off and resealed between it and the a- pillar and leak is gone. Hope this works for you as well.
When you state windshield trim, is that the trim around the edge of the windshield or the metal strip that the weather strip mounts in?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:13 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 89ToyVette
When you state windshield trim, is that the trim around the edge of the windshield or the metal strip that the weather strip mounts in?
I took all the trim down to the bare A-Pillar out. Safe-lite had replaced the W/S and really did not do a good job at all. It was leaking as stated above and also had a leak on the inside that was running down the center of the windshield behind the rear view mirror.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM
89ToyVette
Heel & Toe

Thanks, I guess I need to remove the trim and see what is under there first.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 89ToyVette
Thanks, I guess I need to remove the trim and see what is under there first.
The original sealing strips were badly deteriorated. Looked like a flat rubber strip with adhesive on it that was disturbed when the windshield was replaced. I used a can of permatex black gasket maker. It was a pressurized can and worked out really well.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Here's an idea (I did it yesterday)...make sure the targa top is tightened down. Not sure if this will fix it but a thought
Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 PM
89ToyVette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vette196
Here's an idea (I did it yesterday)...make sure the targa top is tightened down. Not sure if this will fix it but a thought
One of the first things I checked.

After some water testing, it appears to start leaking about half way up the A pillar, so the leak is somewhere at or below that point. Right now, my guess would be a bad seal between the windshield trim and the weather strip retainer, either way, I will need to remove the weather strip and trim to reseal.

Seems like the designers made it hard to replace a windshield if you have to replace the weather strip also.

Last edited by 89ToyVette; 06-13-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

If your windshield has ever been replaced they usually do not reseal the metal windshield trim to the windshield. The trim uses a rubber gasket from the factory but I have had my windshield replaced twice and each time I ask them to leave the trim off so I can seal it myself. If they do it (safelite, autoglass, etc...) they will usually leak and have wind some noise. Black RTV or Black adhesive sealant works very well just clean up excess.

Last edited by TorchTarga94; 06-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
89ToyVette (06-12-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Water Leak Drivers Side Door Lower A Pillar area...

Quick Reply: Water Leak Drivers Side Door Lower A Pillar area...