Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hood handle hard to open

Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM
jmgtp
CF Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Hood handle hard to open

Iíve noticed that the handle to pop the hood on my 94 is taking way more effort this spring compared to the last decade that Iíve owned this car.

It always does pop, but the effort needed has me worried that Iím going to break the plastic lever or one of the cables.

Iíve also noticed that the passenger side sometimes doesnít pop up like the drivers side, but it does always unlatch. Iím always able to open from the drivers side.

Are these symptoms indicative that this a matter of something dirty? Dried up grease? Pin or latch problem?

Iíve long had emergency cables installed but hoping to solve this issue before I ever have to use them.

The only maintenance Iíve ever done in this area was to clean out the drains which were completely clogged and holding water. That was 10 years ago. It still drains fine today.

Any advice or pics are appreciated.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 AM
JETS C3-C4
CF Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try cleaning the latch mechanisms and hood pins and lubricating them with lithium grease.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
RalfKramden (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 AM
drcook
CF Senior Member

Received 290 Likes on 261 Posts

have you been jacking the car up on the side without popping the hood? my buddy's 1990 exhibited this exact same issue. he jacked up the car on one side with the hood closed. this allowed the front end to droop (frame flex) but since the hood was closed, it pulled the hood hinges back towards the cockpit as the latching mechanisms don't move . then when you put the car back down, the mechanisms don't want to easily let go. as the locking pins are forced against the backside of the mechanism

he had to put a 2x4 against the hood hinges and give them a whack to put them back, then the hood opened and closed just fine.

there are those on here who will say it doesn't happen, however I saw it happen twice to that particular 1990. now the hood opens and closes just fine and he now cracks the hood and doors whenever he jacks up the car (there are those on here who say you don't need to) however.....

take a look at the hinges, if they are pulled you might be able to tell by tell tale signs, ie: fresher paint, a dust line, etc.

another way you can tell if the hood has moved is put a jack under the side that gives the most problem (at the pinch weld jacking point) and just lift the car up some, then try to open the hood. if it is easier to open, then you know what has happened.

Last edited by drcook; 06-10-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Received 676 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by JETS C3-C4 View Post
Try cleaning the latch mechanisms and hood pins and lubricating them with lithium grease.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
This. Lube the hood latches and you can pop the hood w/your pinky. No one ever does this little piece of maintenance....yet everyone should.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:32 PM
stabac
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What's your opinion on using garage ramps?

there are those on here who will say it doesn't happen, however I saw it happen twice to that particular 1990. now the hood opens and closes just fine and he now cracks the hood and doors whenever he jacks up the car (there are those on here who say you don't need to) however.....
d.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-10-2019, 12:41 PM
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member

Received 302 Likes on 269 Posts

Use Lock Ease - graphite spray on the cable and work it into the cable. I also lube the mechanism with lock ease / graphite spray.

The white lithium grease will eventually attract dirt and make it harder to open.

Always use a quality product / protect the surrounding areas from overspray and drippage.

Lock Ease will also make the door key and other items work easier - without attracting dirt.

I do not use it on keys that have a chip. For example a steering column with chip.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM
drcook
CF Senior Member

Received 290 Likes on 261 Posts

What's your opinion on using garage ramps?
What do you mean ? I use ramps all the time.

The majority of people have no issues with jacking a car on the side. The point I was making is if it happened to one, it can happen to another, and is one possible solution.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:53 PM
kael
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have emergency openers for the hood? If not, get in place first.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590844620

Since this popped up suddenly, take a look at the release mounting. Did a screw come loose or disappeared?
Mine did this once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood handle hard to open

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: