Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Controlling Cabin noise/ exhaust drone in a C4

Old 07-03-2019, 07:15 AM
jklumpp
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Controlling Cabin noise/ exhaust drone in a C4

My Car (1991 model) is deafening - on the inside!.... and I mean I think it is literally doing damage to my hearing! I often drive the car to meetings, 1-2hrs away.... it sometimes take a few hours for my hearing to come good again!
The engine is modified with Cam & computer (not sure on specs as it was done when I purchased at auction)... It has headers, and a full 2.5" dual exhaust, with 1 into 2 rear mufflers, and the exhaust drone is the main culprit on noise.

My exhaust guy said it's the 1 into 2 mufflers that are the cause - essentially the noise hits the wall where the muffler splits in 2, and bounces the noise back into the cabin, and he has suggested a straight through system will go a long way to improve the problem.
As pretty much all C4's I have seen have dual tip mufflers either side, I'm thinking this is either a common problem - or not the problem at all... Anyone have any experience to offer?

I was also looking today at the AcoustiSHIELD insulation kits being sold by ZIP - are these worthwhile.

I love driving the car, but it would be much more enjoyable if I wasn't deaf when I got out, or if I could actually have a conversation with a passenger in the car!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:22 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

it's the mufflers, most free flowing mufflers drone.

Gibson and Walker are quitter.

The closer to stock the less drone.

I have an 85, insulating the rear compartment did not help much

Last edited by BLUE1972; 07-03-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:36 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I was told plugging one of the outlets on each helps a lot. Maybe try that and if it gets better perhaps invest in different mufflers? IIRC once you go to headers there will be some drone no matter what you do.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Don’t know what mufflers are on currently but the Walker Quiet-Flow are basically a little better flowing stock muffler with two functioning tips
Old 07-03-2019, 02:41 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Corsa
The following users liked this post:
kenmohr (07-06-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:21 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Originally Posted by TA
Corsa
Headers will not give you drone. The mufflers control the drone.

If you really want a quiet ride - go to Turbo mufflers which just flow a little better than stock and will quiet the ride.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:53 PM
L98auto
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Y-bodluvr
Don’t know what mufflers are on currently but the Walker Quiet-Flow are basically a little better flowing stock muffler with two functioning tips
I run Quiet Flows on my '86 with a Dynomax cat-less front Y-pipe and main cat delete and its quite tolerable. There's still some bass to it and the exhaust note has a bit of texture like a stock late sixties C3 but I wouldn't call it loud. I imagine cats, they'd be even quieter. I know where you're coming from. Drone can even be painful depending on how bad it is.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:14 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The resonance you describe is basically coming from your mufflers, how loud it gets depends on everything else in the system. Headers and true duals of whatever diameter will only make it louder. The C4 coupe has that huge resonance chamber right behind the driver that makes it worse too.

Corsa catbacks are probably going to be the best way to cut it down, but typically what I'd recommend is putting in crossover (H/X) pipes to eliminate it. If you did both, you'd see a big reduction. Corsa tends to be very quiet in cruising or idling and only loud when you stand on it.

Blocking up one outlet of the 2 on each muffler with something like a Brilo pad does help a little but is not a long term fix. Adding sound insulation, especially behind you, is not a bad idea but is not a true fix either.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Jackzap
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 85 and the drone was so bad , I didn’t enjoy driving the car. I was going to install Corsa, but decided to try Corvette Centrals ‘no drone’ mufflers. I was very skeptical, but have to say, there is no drone, and my car is enjoyable to drive. I hope this helps
Old 07-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Another good reasonable price solution is to find a pair of stock LT1 mufflers and swap them on. They flow well and don't drone. I have a set
on my car with a cam, headers, and no cats. No drone but they are plenty loud when you lean on it. It may not be as simple as i make it seem
but if you run across a set, its a good option.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:35 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I had several mufflers on my prior '88 and couldn't get rid of drone till the Corsa cat-back.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,383 Likes on 917 Posts

If you need a quick and cheap solution, try plumber's test plugs (steel, not plastic) in the inner outlet of each muffler -- leave the outer outlet open. I did this on the three-inch B&B system that was installed on my car by the previous owner, because the resonance was just unbearably horrible. It made a huge difference. I replaced the wingnuts that came with the plugs, using standard hex nuts instead, and squirted the visible parts flat black which made them nearly invisible. The long term solution, which I eventually went with, was a Corsa cat-back. It doesn't drone.

Live well,

SJW
Old 07-04-2019, 06:25 AM
jklumpp
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys, I can see I'm not alone!
Looks like the Corsa setup is the way to go, but only problem I have is that I am down under in Oz, and the cost for freight on heavy/bulky items like mufflers is prohibitive.
But sounds like my exhaust guy is on the right track with his suggestion for the mufflers... and seeing he is only talking about $300-400 to swap them out, it would be a much more cost effective solution. I'll also talk to him about a crossover...
Out of curiosity has anybody installed straight through single pipe mufflers, as my guy has suggested?
Then I'd just need to work something out for the exhaust tips to make it look OK on the back of the 'vette....
Old 07-04-2019, 07:51 AM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Drone is a frequency that's pretty hard to completely get rid of. There are a few products that help with it but require you to remove your interior and permanently apply it to the entire floor of the vehicle. They do help. Depending on how bad and how quiet you want it, we have the Blockit which is an engineered 4 layer sound deadening mat system that takes about 60 seconds to install.
It consists of one large pre cut mat and 2 small mats that go behind your seats. All mats lay on top of the carpet.

Now if your looking for dead quiet, this it not for you. However if you want to quickly take the edge off tire, road and exhaust noise, this is a great 60 sec install.

Click here to check out the Blockit

To take it up a notch we also sell DeadMat. Dampening mats which also help with vibration & drone
Click here to check out the DeadMats
Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 AM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jklumpp
Looks like the Corsa setup is the way to go,
The Corsa only comes as a complete cat back so you won’t be able to use the rear y pipe with your dual set up it’s also around $1300 so that’s up to you if you think that’s worth it just for a pair of mufflers

You didn’t say what mufflers are on the car now causing the drone but I take it they’re not the stock 91’s?

Last edited by Y-bodluvr; 07-04-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:38 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 505 Likes on 311 Posts

Your situation "sounds" dire! If the drone cabin noise irritates you as much as you say, you should install a stock muffler system or mufflers that use baffles instead of "straight through" exhaust flow. Don't waste time and money on "sound deadening" materials.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:10 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
Your situation "sounds" dire! If the drone cabin noise irritates you as much as you say, you should install a stock muffler system or mufflers that use baffles instead of "straight through" exhaust flow. Don't waste time and money on "sound deadening" materials.

Packing the spare tire carrier also helps. It acts like a drum.

They sell wraps for the mufflers - they help somewhat, the exhaust tips must be at least 2" behind the rear panel to help .

Get notified of new replies

To Controlling Cabin noise/ exhaust drone in a C4

Old 07-04-2019, 03:43 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Benny42
Another good reasonable price solution is to find a pair of stock LT1 mufflers and swap them on. They flow well and don't drone. I have a set
on my car with a cam, headers, and no cats. No drone but they are plenty loud when you lean on it. It may not be as simple as i make it seem
but if you run across a set, its a good option.
Benny is correct. Anything else will not get rid of your drone except a full on Corsa system.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:43 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I have long tube headers and Borla cat back complete with resonator(no cats) and it drones pretty good, and not even very loud.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:18 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
Headers will not give you drone. The mufflers control the drone.

If you really want a quiet ride - go to Turbo mufflers which just flow a little better than stock and will quiet the ride.

Not sure how that relates to my Corsa suggestion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Controlling Cabin noise/ exhaust drone in a C4