C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help me find solutions for a water leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:50 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help me find solutions for a water leak

I have a 95 coupe that has just had the windshield replaced along with the over the top windshield weather-strip. the drivers side is sealed tight but the passenger side I has a leak near the bottom of the door near your feet. there was a leak about half way up the door glass but replacing the window guide solved that. any suggestions or process to follow to find and fix what is leaking is appreciated
Old 07-07-2019, 06:39 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by jgalfo
I have a 95 coupe that has just had the windshield replaced along with the over the top windshield weather-strip. the drivers side is sealed tight but the passenger side I has a leak near the bottom of the door near your feet. there was a leak about half way up the door glass but replacing the window guide solved that. any suggestions or process to follow to find and fix what is leaking is appreciated
I'd take it back to the installer and tell them to fix it
Old 07-07-2019, 09:37 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

the company replaced the weather strip that goes over the windshield and said nothing they did replacing the windshield
made this leak and refused to do more. now I just need to find it and fix it myself. has anyone else had to do this, if so can you give me some pointers
Old 07-07-2019, 11:16 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

here's a long shot but worth a try....clean the 3 udders under the cowl. To get to the passenger side one you need to remove the fender panel between the door the tire (same panel to access the battery on drivers side).

Even if this doesn't help, its well worth the O.P. and others to do, especially the passenger side, you wouldn't believe what accumulate over 20 years
The following users liked this post:
jgalfo (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

We just had the windshield replaced on our 95 Coupe as well as the weather stripping around the windshield. It leaked on the passenger side about halfway down the passenger side window. After removal of the interior trim around the windshield and spraying water around it (on the outside), it turns out the problem was a small and un-noticeable gap at the top of the windshield next to the metal trim around it. (The inside trim around the windshield is like a "gutter" allowing the water to wind its way to another location before it can be seen.) I bought black GE silicone, put it in my calulking gun and inserted a ribbon of the silicone under that gap running it across the whole width of the weather stripping. . Waited a couple of hours, repeated the water test and it was gone.
Tracking down a water leak on the C4 is one of the more frustrating projects. Like any leak it usually starts in an area that is not where you see the drips.
If that isn't you problem location, you should try removing the interior trim around the window and start a water test starting from the bottom up and increasing the water pressure.It helps if you have a person on the outside shooting the water while you sit inside (with a towel) to see where the leak is coming from.
Be careful putting the interior trim pieces back - don't over tighten them as the old plastic is prone to cracking.
Good luck!

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 07-08-2019 at 09:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jgalfo (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:37 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

thanks , I will try sealing the windshield GE silicone
Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Suggest you try to pinpoint the location of the intrusion before attempting a fix.

As noted in post #4 above, make sure the cowl plenum drain tubes are flowing freely. If they aren't flowing freely, water will pool in the plenum, and spill over into the footwell. I've been able to access the one on the passenger's side without disassembling anything. I can get my hand down from above and onto the tube -- squeeze and massage until it opens up, then flood the plenum with fresh water to flush out the accumulated gunk and debris. My hands are probably above average in size, so unless yours are huge, you should be able to get your right hand down in there.

Below are photos of the three plenum drain tubes, provided by a CF member Starman62. First one is the one near the center, between the wiper motor and the brake booster:

This one is on the driver's side adjacent to the battery:

And this one is hiding on the passenger's side, just forward of the lower door hinge (shown here with the gill vent panel removed):

Here's a photo of the one on the passenger's side, not installed on a car, to give you a better idea of what it looks like. The "lips" that you see at the right-hand side are what tends to get stuck together with tree sap and other gunk, which prevents the lips from spreading to allow water to exit:

Start by running a controlled amount of water into the cowl vents adjacent to the wipers. If it finds its way into the footwell, the problem isn't a leaking windshield -- it's likely one of these drain tubes is plugged up.

If no leak shows up here, start to work your way slowly upward with controlled amounts of water until you get some intrusion. Take it from there.

Good luck.

Live well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 07-08-2019 at 08:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SJW:
Go Pack go (07-19-2019), jgalfo (07-08-2019), puterami (07-11-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

great suggestion I will try this
Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

where were SJW when I was udderly stumped finding the 3rd(passenger side) one
Old 07-09-2019, 08:06 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
where were SJW when I was udderly stumped finding the 3rd(passenger side) one
Sadly, SJW has a life outside of CF, and he must attend to that with most of his waking hours. He only drops in here from time to time, mostly in lurk mode these days.

Sorry I wasn't around to help out (but I saw whatcha did there: "udderly" ).

A final recommendation when clearing clogged plenum drain "udders": Wear old shoes. When that udder lets go, if the plenum's full of water, you'll have a gusher. And there'll be some ugly stuff surfing on that outbound tide. BTDT.

Live well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 07-09-2019 at 08:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SJW:
jgalfo (07-10-2019), puterami (07-11-2019), vette196 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

thanks a job for this weekend
Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Go Pack go
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

SPOT ON! Thanks for all of the detail and the photos! I never knew that right cowl drain existed and I couldn’t figure out where all the water on the passenger side carpet was coming from. Thanks so much!
Old 07-19-2019, 12:43 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Go Pack go
SPOT ON! Thanks for all of the detail and the photos! I never knew that right cowl drain existed and I couldn’t figure out where all the water on the passenger side carpet was coming from. Thanks so much!
couple of more years of that black goop and it would transform to crude oil...LOL
Old 07-21-2019, 08:42 AM
jgalfo
Instructor

update for me. I had a devil of a time betting to the drains in the middle of the firewall. but I found that they were open and draining. cause of my problem was that the up and over the windshield rubber weather strip was incorrectly installed and the window guide was broken. therefor the window was out of place and the weather strip wasn't in the right place either, thanks to Ecklers being only an hour away I was able to get both parts and except for an occasional drip, problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me find solutions for a water leak

Quick Reply: Help me find solutions for a water leak