Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

does ASR have any positive or negative impact on performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:55 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

I've a feeling after reading all of this that it really comes down to the quality of your tires. My Pilot Sports are pretty sticky and I have to be really trying pretty hard to get them to break loose in a big way. I'd wager that @MatthewMiller also has good quality tires. I know back when I bought my car it had some old Nexen tires on it and those would easily break loose.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:41 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by gdl2165
I've a feeling after reading all of this that it really comes down to the quality of your tires. My Pilot Sports are pretty sticky and I have to be really trying pretty hard to get them to break loose in a big way. I'd wager that @MatthewMiller also has good quality tires. I know back when I bought my car it had some old Nexen tires on it and those would easily break loose.
I have several sets of tires for different purposes. Some have grip you can't believe until you ride in it. Some...not so much. My really old/low-grip tires are all in tire heaven now. But still, a C4 is just a car. In stock form, it's not even a very powerful one in today's context. So like any car, if you break the tires loose with power, you just have to modulate the throttle a little bit. The power oversteer behavior of these cars is much, much better than any Fox or SN95 Mustang - much easier to control and with higher breakaway limits.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:03 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
I have several sets of tires for different purposes. Some have grip you can't believe until you ride in it. Some...not so much. My really old/low-grip tires are all in tire heaven now. But still, a C4 is just a car. In stock form, it's not even a very powerful one in today's context. So like any car, if you break the tires loose with power, you just have to modulate the throttle a little bit. The power oversteer behavior of these cars is much, much better than any Fox or SN95 Mustang - much easier to control and with higher breakaway limits.
Take Matt's advice; I had the chance to ride with Matt in an auto cross event at a nearby lot; he's a great driver with a great C4 package.

Having said that Matt, I would suppose many on the forum here do not have the seat time you have in these high level driving conditions with the type of power you have. It's a learning curve for some w/o ASR functions. And not all drivers are created equal, so one size doesn't fit all here!

Quick Reply: does ASR have any positive or negative impact on performance?