C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Won’t turn over! Won’t shift!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 PM
Herdy Perpden
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won’t turn over! Won’t shift!

Hello to the mighty corvette community. I have never really worked on a car let alone a corvette. Anyways, when I turn the key over and try to start it all I get is a brake light and a check engine light that my Haynes manual says will shut off after it starts. I’ve assumed it was the e-brake being difficult and nothing worked in that department. The other problem is that when I go under the car to get at the shift linkage I can’t seem to move the “fittings” the cables go into. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What year Vette; what tranny??

If you plan on doing some work yourself you really need a copy of the official GM Corvette Service Manual for your year Vette.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Herdy Perpden
3rd Gear

It’s an 85 4+3. I also have these
Old 07-17-2019, 12:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Ah, you have part of the FSM set then? I would advise you not to use the Haynes for toilet paper. Paper is too hard and will scratch. Seriously, see if you have an electrical schematic section. Mine has a thick book and a think section, about the size of the TP book. Next thing you need is a scanner to read live data and NOT a code reader.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:31 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Yes,

The 90 & the 95 Vettes I've had FSM's for were specific to those model years and were 3-volume sets in 3-ring binders, spanning about 7 or maybe 8 inches, including an engine supliment. Compared to a Haynes multi-year manual, there is no comparison. (I know...i also have a Haynes manual for my wife's C3. It leaves A LOT of information - the real model year specifics - missed, or not germane to her particular (1969) Vette.

Do yourself a favor and get a copy of the REAL "Factory Service Manual" for starters.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Herdy Perpden
3rd Gear

So I’ve looked at the wiring diagrams in the shop manual.. I’ve found out that my wiring isn’t the issue. It seems to be that it’s locked in park and the e brake won’t fully release.

Get notified of new replies

To Won’t turn over! Won’t shift!

Quick Reply: Won’t turn over! Won’t shift!