Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Purchase advice on a '94 6 speed

Old 07-11-2019, 07:55 PM
sedgwick24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purchase advice on a '94 6 speed

Good evening ladies and gents, looking to see if I can use the hive mind here to get a little advice on a 94 6 speed I am interested in (link to ad below). He has had it listed so I think that I could potentially offer him less, I am just concerned at the odometer being at close to 160k. Anything in particular that I need to watch out for as I try to look at it? Should I hold out for a lower mileage car at this price range? Thanks in advance for the help.

https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5723534?ad_cid=1
Old 07-11-2019, 08:18 PM
darrensls1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where to begin? That's high miles for a Corvette. If it were me I would look for a nice one in the 50-80K mile range. Plenty of those out there for under 10K. But if you really like the car then here is a few things I would look for.

1). Check out the tires carefully. Not just how much tread is left but how old they are. I bought my 95 Corvette with lots of tire tread but then found out they were 10 years old and had to replace all four as they were causing a rough ride as well as high risk for a blow out.

2). Check out the condition of the weather stripping. Replacing is expensive. Mine was going bad when I bought it and It caused my targa top to leak bad enough that I can't run my car through a car wash.

3). Take it for a long test drive to see if there are any dummy lights that come on, does it overheat after 15 minutes, ect.

4). Ask for any maintenance records. I would want to know if the clutch and optispark have been replaced and if so when? They are both a major pain and expense so if one or both are still stock originals then they would likely be ticking time bombs.

5). Look for spots on the ground where the car is parked. A lot of these cars leak oil. A little leak is ok but if you have to drop in a quart a week then there may be a more serious issue.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head other then once you get one you need to drive it like you stole it!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 PM
darrensls1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One more thing I thought of. When you get in the drivers seat try to wiggle the steering wheel up and down and then side to side. Reason being is that getting out of these cars is difficult and a lot of people will grab the steering wheel and use it as leverage to get out. The steering column was not meant to hold our weight so if a previous owner did this enough times over enough years it tends to warp or break a bolt in there somewhere. Mine is fine but I saw a youtube video where a mechanic pointed this out on someone's car and when I saw how much play was in his steering wheel I immediately stopped pushing off of mine when I got out of my car.

So when you try and wiggle the steering wheel if you feel a good amount of movement and play then that is why. If it's nice and firm then don't use the steering wheel to push off of when you get out and it will stay that way.

Last edited by darrensls1; 07-11-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Fiberbundle
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

As darrensls1 mentioned that is a lot of miles that will have cause wear in a lot of components if they have not been repaced. $5500 or less may seem like a small price to pay but you could easily double that with repair costs.

In addition to the opti and clutch there are suspension components, bushings, engine rebuild, transmission issues, differential, etc, that are nearing the the end of their life expectancy. If these have not been replaced or rebuilt you may be in for a large cash outlay. Be aware and there are a lot of high mileage cars out there that stay for sale for a LONG time. I recently picked up a 1990 with 147,000 miles that had a new engine installed 3000 miles ago with lots of documentation on the build done by a reputable machine shop in the area. Obviously needed other things replaced but after watching it for 4 months for sale at $5,000 I offed $2200 and he took it since I was the only call he had. I only had to add about $800 and it is a strong running backup to my other C4.

$5,000 to $6,000 should get you a nice, well taken care of, car in your area with a lot less miles.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Fiberbundle
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Good point on the steering wheel. This was an item I knew I needed to address when I bought my 1990. It was $130 for a new knuckle but it does require a lot of work to rebuild the steering column. Not hard but a real PITA.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Received 560 Likes on 461 Posts

From my perspective, of it's made it that far, it's probably had regular upkeep.

Ot all depends on budget. If you can spend double for lower miles, go for it. If not, probably not a bad option.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Mayor111
CF Senior Member

Received 700 Likes on 408 Posts

First - I was just in SLC UT - I was in Draper for about week. Drove up a mountain to 8700 ft elevation - was amazing to see snow on the ground when its 75 degrees at the base of the mountain.

Now as for the C4 - a few things I noticed from the pictures:

1) Those are not original seats - they are aftermarket - and maybe not even leather. They look like cheap look-a-likes...you may not care, but I want you to be aware.

2) That is not a stock exhaust in the rear...it actually looks like an older C4 exhaust - from the mid-to late 80s.

3) Those wheels are C5 z06 aftermarket wheels. Not a problem, but just want you to be aware those are not C4 wheels.

According to Corvette DNA - that car in DRIVER condition, with 75,000 miles is worth $6,000 - so with almost 90,000 more miles - that car is worth about $4,000 (or less).

My advice would be to walk away and get a Vette with 50k miles (+/-) and spend a few grand more. You will be glad you did...trust me. You won't enjoy a C4 if its a constant mechanical headache.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:23 PM
mtwoolford
CF Senior Member

Received 134 Likes on 128 Posts

That's an one year LT4 (all L98s and LT1s want grow up to be an LT4), so if your hearts set on that particular engine (330 hp, versus 300 for an LT1 and significantly less for an L98) and drive train (stock ZF 6 speed transmission, stock heavy duty rear end, Dana 44 with 3.45 : 1 gears, lowest available, J55 big brake package), go for it. That's a giveaway price, but that doesn't mean the seller wouldn't take less. I own one, but expect to work on it, like any 160,000 mile vette. My car had less, but not a lot less miles, and I've put a lot of parts and work into it. When you start getting into the LT4 specific parts, expect to pay a premium, over and above the usual "Corvette tax".
Old 07-12-2019, 06:23 AM
Eljay
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

MTWoolford LT4 is 96 only not 94.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:25 AM
cadmaniac
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

I would save my money and get a 1996 with OBD2 and lower miles. If that tranny is worn, you could spend a lot of $$ rebuilding it or replacing it. Unless they can show its been meticulously taken care of and it drives really nice, itll be a money pit.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 AM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Received 560 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by cadmaniac View Post
I would save my money and get a 1996 with OBD2 and lower miles. If that tranny is worn, you could spend a lot of $$ rebuilding it or replacing it. Unless they can show its been meticulously taken care of and it drives really nice, itll be a money pit.
I dont think "will" be a money pit is fair. It could be, but there are plenty of people with money pit cars that have half or less that mileage .

At the end of the day, the cars are robust and can do 400k miles easy. But they do need maintenance. I wouldnt shy away from high miles of that's what your budget allows and it's been kept up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchase advice on a '94 6 speed

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: