Buying C4 maybe...give me a good listen please have a fee questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:16 PM
surfbug
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Buying C4 maybe...give me a good listen please have a fee questions

OOOPS! I mean have FEW questions.....

And thanks so far for the info! All stuff sounds doable not a major deterrent to make a purchase.

It's a 1994 conv C4. That's the LT1 and the R700 4 speed auto trans...correct?

How much is the headlight fix? They are not flipping into position smoothly.

How much is it to replace the clear protective tape on the deck lid for the conv top. Its unsightly and yellowed

And has a trans leak....can that be the trans pan? Or the output shaft seal? Any other things going on with these automatics and leaks?

And the windshield might need replacing. Expensive? How much..

Is there an AC button...or is it just with the temp control.....the vents move slowly but do move. How much to fix?

Thanks for the info...I can give more details as I decide if I'm gonna pull the trigger.

I know it's an old car and it won't be perfect. And that I will have to fix this stuff. I can work on it myself with and friend who is a tech.

Can you folks who know these C4s chime in? Thanks in advance for the info...

And I'm excited! So my typing is brief!

Thanks! Big Al

Last edited by surfbug; 07-21-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:29 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the engine is a LT-1 (350ci-300hp) with a electronic 700R4

Headlight repair is a afternoon job. many many write ups and articles/ videos on how to repair

the clear tape is purely a aftermarket item. if you can still buy it; it can't be that much to replace it

the trans leak could be many of things. it could be a 1 dollar "O" ring on the speed sensor, pan gasket, or output seal. don't know until you look at it

windshield call your local windshield shop and ask. your insurance might replace it for your deductible

the AC button could be many of things.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Tourmax
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by surfbug
1994 conv C4. That's the LT1 and the R700 4 speed auto trans...correct?

How much is the headlight fix? They are not flipping into position smoothly.

How much is it to replace the clear protective tape on the deck lid for the conv top. Its unsightly and yellowed

And has a trans leak....can that be the trans pan? Or the output shaft seal? Any other things going on with these automatics and leaks?

And the windshield might need replacing. Expensive? How much..

Is there an AC button...or is it just with the temp control.....the vents move slowly but do move. How much to fix?

Thanks for the info...I can give more details as I decide if I'm gonna pull the trigger.

I know it's an old car and it won't be perfect. And that I will have to fix this stuff. I can work on it myself with and friend who is a tech.

Can you folks who know these C4s chime in? Thanks in advance for the info...

And I'm excited! So my typing is brief!

Thanks! Big Al

If the nylon bushings are all that's gone in the headlight motors, you're looking at somewhere around 10 bucks a side. If the gear is also gone (stripped, broke, etc), you're looking at around 20 bucks a piece. I bought two sets off ebay (bushings and gears) for around 30 bucks, shipped. Only the right side of mine is "winking", but I'm just going to replace both and be done with it. If one side is gone, the other side is probably not far behind.

All this is assuming you can do your own work repairing the motor drives.....the price goes up pretty quickly if you have to pay someone else to do it.

Last edited by Tourmax; 07-21-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM
surfbug
Advanced

Ok thank you. Things dont sound too bad.

The AC does work.....but the buttons are slow...not sticky. But the flaps aka arir directional items are slow to respond

And...I cant find an actual AC button.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Big Al

And I checked thru the RPO codes....just a base model conv vette with Bose stereo

All checks out!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by surfbug
Ok thank you. Things dont sound too bad.

The AC does work.....but the buttons are slow...not sticky. But the flaps aka arir directional items are slow to respond

And...I cant find an actual AC button.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Big Al

And I checked thru the RPO codes....just a base model conv vette with Bose stereo

All checks out!
for the AC vent/blend doors there is a very cheap vacumn check valve under the passenger side fuel rail cover that will go bad.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:05 PM
surfbug
Advanced

Ok look into the vac check valve. So that is not too bad.

Thank you!

I found this out....

Re: How to turn on the AC
Push the button that says "AUTO" then set the temp (use the down arrow) to 65 degrees or lower. The compressor should start to cycle on and off.

So that is a weird way to turn on the air conditioner compressor...but if you say so! Lol. Sound familiar?

Old 07-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Does the car have the optional electronic selector or the base manual slide control. If you don’t have a owners manual I would suggest you buy one and read it
Old 07-21-2019, 04:24 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The point that you are missing is that the way the system was designed you set the temp that you want to maintain and they system will maintain it "automatically". If the system "decides" that the AC compressor should come on to assist in the maintenance of the temp .... then it comes on.

TWO exceptions:
If you select the windshield defrost then the AC will come on regardless of ambient temp to blow "dry" air on the inside of the windshield.
If you sent the temp control down to it's lowest setting which I think is 60 degrees then the AC will also kick on automatically.

You are correct in there is no dedicated AC button.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:33 PM
marines
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My 1993 Coupe had a problem with the buttons not functioning on the climate control. There is a video on how to repair them but I tried, successfully, to use a spray (CRC Electronic Cleaner from Autozone) It comes with a straw so you can spray behind the buttons and this, along with my air compressor blowing the cleaner even further) worked fine. Cost about $12.00. Good luck on your car. You will love it!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:59 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,288 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
the clear tape is purely a aftermarket item. if you can still buy it; it can't be that much to replace it
The clear tape is not aftermarket. It was put on at the factory to keep the convertible top from marring the paint. There might be a vendor who sells the reproduction, of not you can go to a local clear bra installer and have them duplicate it,
Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM
KurtK
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Owners Manual

go to: https://www.chevrolet.com and select 'Owners Manuals", then select the year, make, and model. Then you should see an active link for the owners manual.
There is a lot of older content available in the C4 section- just do a search. A lot of the newer questions were issues years ago.

Good luck with your new Corvette.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:02 PM
surfbug
Advanced

Originally Posted by KurtK
go to: https://www.chevrolet.com and select 'Owners Manuals", then select the year, make, and model. Then you should see an active link for the owners manual.
There is a lot of older content available in the C4 section- just do a search. A lot of the newer questions were issues years ago.

Good luck with your new Corvette.
Thank you and thanks to everyone for your answers!
Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 PM
surfbug
Advanced

Ok. Just picked it up.

I love it! Just cant describe how ya melt into this thing and become one with the car

Everything is ok.....the car ran cooler than I remember when first seeing it on Sunday

But I do have an burning oil smell coming from an oil leak.

Where do these things leak from?

Valve cover? Some sensor or other gaskets in the engine?

But yes...I'm gonna keep it all stock...maybe some roller rockers...and drive drive drive

Gonna have a little trouble sleeping tonite....lol

Thanks! Big Al
Old 07-24-2019, 04:53 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The LTI is notorious for intake oil leaks. Valve covers can too. PS it already has roller rockers
Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
The LTI is notorious for intake oil leaks. Valve covers can too. PS it already has roller rockers
Only LT4 has roller rockers. LT1 has roller lifters. OP enjoy your new toy!
Old 07-25-2019, 11:55 AM
surfbug
Advanced

Ok thank you everyone. Yes it's super fun! Who knew that the c4s were so cool and rode great and yet had performance. Almost afraid to say, almooooost like this better than my c6 I had! (Shhhhhh)

Ok, question. With this board, should I start a "project thread" or just ask individual questions under individual topics?

Example.... i want to know what ratio steering I have, I might need a new rack and pinion.

And my stereo and pass electric seat dont work. What fuses do I check? That is where I would start.

So, do a main project thread or do individual threads. Thanks! Al

Get notified of new replies

To Buying C4 maybe...give me a good listen please have a fee questions

Quick Reply: Buying C4 maybe...give me a good listen please have a fee questions