C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Spring-clips on rear hatch shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 08:03 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Spring-clips on rear hatch shocks

How in the hell do you get these little SOBs back on?
I changed my hatch weather-stripping, and had to remove lower shocks, but now I cannot put the clips back on.
They are too tight and nothing to catch one side on. I watched a couple videos, and they just kind of pushed them on like they were fairly flexible. I knew it would be difficult, I hate c-clips and spring clips. I tried spreading them some with a tool I had, and lost both of them. One is in the car, and maybe the other, they are so light and small, I didn't get a good look and only one made a slight sound when it hit. Aso, anyone know where to buy these clips? I am planning on replacing the shocks, but not sure if new ones come with the clips.
thanks
The following users liked this post:
Railroadman (09-17-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:33 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
How in the hell do you get these little SOBs back on?
I changed my hatch weather-stripping, and had to remove lower shocks, but now I cannot put the clips back on.
They are too tight and nothing to catch one side on. I watched a couple videos, and they just kind of pushed them on like they were fairly flexible. I knew it would be difficult, I hate c-clips and spring clips. I tried spreading them some with a tool I had, and lost both of them. One is in the car, and maybe the other, they are so light and small, I didn't get a good look and only one made a slight sound when it hit. Aso, anyone know where to buy these clips? I am planning on replacing the shocks, but not sure if new ones come with the clips.
thanks
They just snap back over the ball. A light bump with your hand should do the trick. I get all of my replacement struts from LiftSupportsDepot.com. They have a lifetime warranty that they actually DO honor. Excellent customer service as well. I have the StrongArm line struts on my 86 and also my 2003 Suburban.

These should be what you need ---> 33.62'' Strong Arm 4903-04 Lift Support With Ball Socket | 4903-04-W and the do come with the clips.
snlshow (04-14-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 09:54 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Thanks, I have had the same ones saved on Amazon, just didn't order yet.
New ones will solve my problem, but I think you are saying to pop the shock head off the stud with the clip still attached to the shock?
I have the shock on the stud, but I was trying to put the clip back on with the shock attached, but it is way too tight to press it into the shock head.
Shown here at 5:45 he is putting back on, but I removed mine at the bottom of the shock, so harder to reach. He doesn't show how he got it open enough to slip on and get it started... Another video says some shocks don't have the C clip.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:27 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

You never need to completely remove the clip. To detach the shock, just pry the clip up about an 1/8" and pull. To put it back on the stud, just push it back on with the clip in place. If you have it off, you need to work the clip back on from end and then slide it over the stud. Not sure why the guy in the video is putting the clip back on after it's mounted.

The following 2 users liked this post by jv9999:
Railroadman (09-17-2021), VikingTrad3r (12-13-2022)
Old 04-14-2021, 07:46 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

The Lift Support Depot struts have the clips on both ends. As jv9999 said, when removing the struts, you do not need to remove the clip. There is a slot opposite the ball mount side. (See illustrations below) Simply place a small screwdriver in the slot under the clip and pry up gently, while applying outward pressure. As soon as the clip comes back far enough the mount will slip easily off of the ball. To install, just place the strut up to the ball and bump it lightly with your hand and the clip will slip over the ball and snap into place. One of the easiest jobs on these cars.

These pics are of the struts on my 'burb to illustrate the slot. They are identical for the 'vette.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:48 AM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jv9999
You never need to completely remove the clip. To detach the shock, just pry the clip up about an 1/8" and pull. To put it back on the stud, just push it back on with the clip in place. If you have it off, you need to work the clip back on from end and then slide it over the stud. Not sure why the guy in the video is putting the clip back on after it's mounted.
OK thanks, that makes more sense. I will know next time.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:04 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jv9999
If you have it off, you need to work the clip back on from end and then slide it over the stud.
Wow, OP wrote the post almost word for word what I was going to say if I started my own thread. What a PITA!

jv9999, thanks for the answer to the problem - over the end and work it up. I knew all the good advice about not taking them all the way off, but mine was a bit stubborn and when I tried a little harder, "PING" it came all the way off. After a few minutes of trying all the stuff the OP mentions, I was thinking your way was all that was left but figured to confirm it first.

EDIT: I took a leap of faith, and removed the TOP end as well, being careful not to pry the clip all the way off. Having the whole strut in my hand, it was easy to see how to do it. The clip does not have to be spread to the full diameter to get it started back on, there are 2 little grooves in the plastic where they fit, and you can then work them up (or down) once the strut is replaced over the ball. Here's a pic to help then next one who faces this issue:

Last edited by Railroadman; 09-17-2021 at 01:33 PM.
VikingTrad3r (12-13-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Spring-clips on rear hatch shocks

Quick Reply: Spring-clips on rear hatch shocks