C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 02:46 PM
james holley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD?

anybody ever try nu finish? ive seen this stuff advertised on tv as the best polish/wax ever. (i take all this stuff with a grain of salt because over the years ive written and produced hundreds and hundreds of radio and tv spots) does this stuff work at all? (is it :bs )
Old 04-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Bodhi
Pro

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (james holley)

Head over to the Car Care Products section of the forum.....you will see tons of discussions on waxes, polishes, tire products, leather products, etc.

As a former Meguire's user I can say I have seen the light and have joined the church of Zaino (http://www.zainobros.com/)

Old 04-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (Bodhi)

Nu Finish is okay for my wife's Trailblazer. I believe it's advertised as "The once a year car polish!" It last's a long time, though not as long as some of the pastes out there. The results (finish) are mediocre at best.

In short, I wouldn't let that stuff near the vette. :seeya
Old 04-15-2003, 03:35 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (Hurricane_777)

I pretty much agree with hurricane. The stuff lasts a LONG time, so for a car that you're not going to wax on regular intervals, the stuff is great. My grandfather waxes his car with it and it lasts him all year.

But, like hurricane said, you can get a better shine from almost any other brand, and as long as you're the type to wax it often, you might as well get something with a better shine.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:44 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (Jim85IROC)

Not good for shine.

Best thing you can do is wash it, use Mothers Clay bar, some swirl remover/cleaner, then a coat of #7 Meguiars, then follow up with at least 1 coat of #26 or Gold Class.

Or the Zaino route, if you have it, similar steps.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:04 PM
james holley
Pro

so it would be ok for a dump truck right? (not that i have one but if i ever get one i'll buy some nu finish)
Old 04-15-2003, 08:27 PM
CorvetteKid1983
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nu Finish is not a polish or a paint enhancing wax.

It is a polymer compound that is designed specifically to seal new paint and provide supreme protection. It is not meant to bring luster back to old paint, enhance depth, create shine, or anything cleaner waxes or pure waxes accomplish. If you have paint older than 3-5 years old, depending on condition, Nu Finish is not for you.

Many auto paint shops will recommend Nu Finish on new paint (after the 6 month curing period) to help protect the shine and luster. New paint does not need purifying (removing the deteriorated top layers) older paints require. Using a cleaner wax or harsh pre-wax cleaner can actually damage and place imperfections in your paint. That's why Nu Finish strictly applies a protective, long lasting, seal over the paint. It will do very little if anything, concerning appearance, for older paint except seal and protect.

If you are looking for something to clean, polish, and protect your paint, look for products including, Mother's, Mequires, Zaino, etc. Use Nu Finish for brand new paint that strictly requires protection.

Take Care :flag
The following users liked this post:
gbwright (10-01-2015)
Old 04-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (CorvetteKid1983)

Nu Finish is excellent. I've been using it for at least 10 years. I do use it like a "wax" about once every 6 weeks in the warmer weather and it wears fine through the winter. It is not a paint "restorer". It is an excellent maintainer.

I even got my brother to switch from his "specialty" waxes on his "show car only" Factory Five 427 Cobra. It's so easy to use... slap it on, you can't go wrong... do it in direct sunlight and leave it all day... come back and it'll buff right off with a terrific shine.

Don't get me wrong... I still use the clay bar and have to sometimes use some compound on scrapes from road use... but Nu Finish is just too easy to use. I highly recommend it.

Here's a sample.. (click for larger image)

[Modified by Dan Parker '96, 10:41 PM 4/18/2003]
Old 04-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (CorvetteKid1983)

Nu Finish is not a polish or a paint enhancing wax.
Just curious, why do you think they call it "The Once a Year Car Polish?"

From their website:

Nu Finish Car Polish

Rated #1 by six leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value.
Only car polish that makes the claim, "The Once-A-Year Car Polish."
No rubbing-No buffing.
Can be applied in direct sunlight.
Only product in its category that contains no wax.
Largest TV advertiser in the product category.
Available in liquid or soft paste.
http://www.nufinish.com
Old 04-18-2003, 08:21 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I used it about 10 years ago on an '64 Chevy, I tried to get to shine up....it worked on that old paint...but believe me not good for todays finishes...
Stay away from it...bye the bye...haven't found anything to compare to "ZANIO"....
Just my thoughts...
tony
:eek: :flag :eek:

[Modified by oldace84, 8:22 PM 4/18/2003]
Old 04-18-2003, 08:40 PM
BLACKFLY86
Instructor

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (oldace84)

I was looking in Autozone for Zaino last week, mistakenly grabbed a product call Zymol, (Supposedly all natural cleaner/wax, it wasn't cheap) It put a great shine on my Black. Anyone else use Zymol?, what did you think?
Old 04-19-2003, 02:47 AM
linkschamp
Pro

Perhaps when you reference someone's website, you should read it first and you would have answered your own question!

"Nu Finish is made up of a series of zinc cross-linking polymer emulsions that help Nu Finish last longer than any other polish on the market. This is why Nu Finish is called "The-Once-A-Year Car Polish."

The word Polish in this advertising context mysteriously has to do with product ingredients - nothing to do with how well it shines, only that it is formulated to last a long time... (hint hint) its not a polish or a wax in the tradional sense - perhaps its just a verb!

Again, its a fine product for what it was designed to do and how it should be used... that's all. I've used it myself on a new car and was pleased with the results - but it doesn't seem to do anything for me on a used vehicle. Individual taste I guess...

[Modified by linkschamp, 7:52 AM 4/19/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 03:03 AM
CanadaVette
Melting Slicks

so it would be ok for a dump truck right? (not that i have one but if i ever get one i'll buy some nu finish)
:iagree:
Old 04-19-2003, 09:17 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (CanadaVette)

Wow I need to get my boots out for some of the responses against the product. Nu Finish is a great product. Reminds of a car show a few years ago when I won best of class. The guy next to me was not happy. He says to me "At least I lost to another Zaino user". I said "Nope, $5.99 bottle of Nu Finish":lol:. He refused to believe me.

Just because you pay more for something doesn't mean it is better!

[Modified by bac22, 9:18 AM 4/19/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 09:31 AM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (bac22)

This is the most non-biased Zaino comparison I could find.. http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/

And like the above poster's response, my brother just told me that the last car show he entered he had 4 other entrants ask him what he used to keep up the finish. They couldn't believe he just used good 'ole NuFinish.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:12 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (Dan Parker '96)

i use good ole turtle wax, at the last car show several people asked me what i used and couldnt believe it was turtle wax. Maybe having a white car makes it different but i have bought Mequires and Zanio and cant justify it. I wax my car once a month and turtle wax serves me just fine, i get compliments all day.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (linkschamp)

Perhaps when you reference someone's website, you should read it first and you would have answered your own question!
I did read it. They call it a polish about 20 times in that FAQ and in other parts of the site. Did you read my quote from their site?

"Rated #1 by six leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value."

I guess I still don't get it.

Get notified of new replies

To IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD?

Old 04-20-2003, 06:35 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the last 15 years, I have only used Nu-Finish on my red 88 and white 96 Corvettes, my fibreglass boat and my fibreglass Motorhome; also I have used it on 2 Cadillacs. The paint has held up very well on all of these vehicles. They all still look like new.

Never tried Zaino as I am happy with the present product. Each vehicle gets 3 coats a year in the spring and the fall. Works for me.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:22 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Default Re: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD? (BLACKFLY86)

Looking in AutoZone for Zaino? There's something , unfortunately, you'll NEVER see. I wish, but it won't happen. Hell, Sal still has no clue what a credit card machine is, never mind chain stores.
But, as for Nu Finish, it's gotta be the worst polish out there for DUST. When your wiping that stuff off, it leaves enough dust to coat 3 cars completely!

I've used it on my buddy's truck, and his bike, but I'd never put it near/on the Vette.

Old 04-23-2003, 07:23 PM
CorvetteKid1983
Advanced

"Rated #1 by six leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value."
The word gloss used here is in appearance. Think of it this way. When you buy two spray paint cans, Flat Black and Gloss Black for example, the Gloss back has agents in it to enhance reflective qualities. Gloss is simple an attribute of paint by mixing or top coating. Paint in natural form is not "shinny" or contain a "polished gloss", seperate chemicals are added to the paint.

In this case, think of it as spraying clear coat or laquor coat over a flat colored paint. The paint will gain a "glossy" finish and reflect more images, shadows, etc. This is what Nu Finish immitates. This is why they state it can be applied in the sun. Any painter knows the first thing you do after painting is let it cure by "baking" it in a professional oven or give it PLENTY of sunlight. This heats the material, alows the paint to breathe and release air bubbles and cure to a brilliant shine. Nu Finish acts the same way. It is like "Clear Coat in a bottle". It in NO WAY removes oxidized paint or contaminents. You MUST wash and clean your paint's surface before applying. This is explained on their web site and on the bottle.

If you still don't believe me, do this simple test. Find a car with older paint, containing oxidation, dirt particles, etc and apply Nu Finish. Your rag will be CLEAN, but the spot will be "glossy" and shinny. If it was a polish, you would be removing contaminants from the surface (like in wheel polish, silver polish, copper polish, the REAL polishes). Now take some Number 7 Paint Polish (the real polish) and go over the paint, you will see the rag become contaminated with impurites, oxidation, and even Nu Finish. The paint will now be polished.

POLISH refers to the apperance after application. Not how it achives it. Same effects as polish, without the elbow grease or risk of damaging your paint. Like I stated before, Nu Finish is for new paint. You need a true polish or cleaner wax to enhance older paints. Plain and Simple.

Quick Reply: IS NU FINISH ANY GOOD?