C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

good price for a '90?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 01:44 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default good price for a '90?

Found a red '90 coupe on autotrader not far from my house. I haven't looked at it yet but it seems like it might be a good deal. This guy wants 8950 for it. I'm thinking that he might take 8K. It's a 6 speed with 96K on it. He says the interior and paint are in great condition with a couple of minor flaws. The car has new mufflers, radiator tank, injectors, steering rack, computer and chip. It also has 2 new tires . What do you guys think? Is the mileage a problem?

Thanks, Kim :chevy
Old 10-08-2003, 03:02 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Default Re: good price for a '90? (ragged claws)

Depending on your area of the country $8000 sounds about right for one in good condition, especially with the 6 speed. I have seen them a little cheaper, but not by much, and these were internet ads so no telling what the condition really was. Good luck with the purchase.

Old 10-08-2003, 03:21 PM
eddieL98
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE] What do you guys think? Is the mileage a problem?[QUOTE]
it doesn't sound bad. mileage shouldn't be a problem, mine is at 105k and the only major problem i had was 3rd gear in mt auto tranny. which you won't have that problem...lol
check what kind of chip was put in. I put in a hypertech and didn't see much improvment.
other than that I wish ya luck :thumbs:
Old 10-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Kim, sounds like you found your vette! :D With those replacement items, and assuming the general condition of the car inside & out is in fact excellent, AND its a 6 speed, that price is in the ballpark. If you can get between 8k and 9k GO FOR IT! :thumbs: :chevy
Old 10-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Huckzilla
Drifting

Default Re: good price for a '90? (bradvette)

Kim, sounds like you found your vette! :D With those replacement items, and assuming the general condition of the car inside & out is in fact excellent, AND its a 6 speed, that price is in the ballpark. If you can get between 8k and 9k GO FOR IT! :thumbs: :chevy
:iagree:
Old 10-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Ron84Vette
Advanced

Default Re: good price for a '90? (fast90)

that sounds about right for that year? :bs Thats down right cheap. I just did a search on autotrader for the same year 300 miles each way from my place and they dont get any cheaper than that.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:03 PM
ckgunn
Pro

Default Re: good price for a '90? (Ron84Vette)

that sounds about right for that year? :bs Thats down right cheap. I just did a search on autotrader for the same year 300 miles each way from my place and they dont get any cheaper than that.
:iagree:

:skep: I'd make sure you know what your getting :smash:

Otherwise, you have found a good deal. Don't pass it up :cheers:
Old 10-08-2003, 06:13 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

I think it is a good price if it is in good condition. :yesnod:
Old 10-08-2003, 06:57 PM
dbwade36
Drifting

Yea, sounds like a decent price to me. Check the usual. Brakes, shocks, oil leaks, eletrical problems, etc. A 13 yr old car is bound to have some issues, unless very well maintained. Ask if he has his maintanence records. That is always a great help. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:18 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Default Re: good price for a '90? (dbwade36)

Yea the add says he has complete maintenance records and no oil leaks. Seems like you all think it's a decent price. I'll call the guy and try to go see it.
Just curious; how long do clutches hold up in these cars and about how much would it cost to replace?

Thanks, Kim :cheers:
Old 10-08-2003, 07:21 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE] Found a red '90 coupe on autotrader not far from my house. I haven't looked at it yet but it seems like it might be a good deal. This guy wants 8950 for it. I'm thinking that he might take 8K. It's a 6 speed with 96K on it. He says the interior and paint are in great condition with a couple of minor flaws. The car has new mufflers, radiator tank, injectors, steering rack, computer and chip. It also has 2 new tires . What do you guys think? Is the mileage a problem?

I would keep looking and see if you can find a lower mileage car.
Have you thought about a 92 with LT1. I picked up a 93 with 34,000 miles about 6 months ago for $11,900. There are LT1's in the 10,000-13,000 range.
If you don't want to spend alot of $ then the 90 is a good bet. I would offer him $7,500.

Ask about weatherstrips, Clutch replacement if ever and other maintenance.
The $$$ adds up quickly.

That is why I suggest the early LT1's. You can get an LT1 that somebody has depreciated heavily already but maybe didn't drive it much. In reality the seller gets alittle more $$$ for low mileage but not as much as they think hence a good deal for the buyer.

While the 90 will be reliable, you will be putting some $$$ into it such as clutch, hubs, possibly A/C, probably new weatherstrips.

Add this onto your base price of $8900 and you may be at $12,900 where you can get an LT1 and not pour $ into the car.

Of course this is a mute point if you want the L98 and you are afraid of the opti on the 92+ cars.

I just think the best bang for the buck right now is LT1 cars in the $10-15k range. You can get a pristine example out of the box like new and have to put very little $$$ into the car.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:03 PM
ragged claws
Pro

Default Re: good price for a '90? (xlr8nflorida)

Unfortunately the extra 2 or 3K initial outlay for an Lt1 would stress my finances right now. I just checked autotrader.com for '92s within 100 mi. of my house and they all had more miles than the '90 I am considering. I will check the weather stripping and other stuff before I make an offer though. I expect to have to cough up some money for worn out parts as time goes by, but if I can get a good looking and good driving car for 8K or so and spend some money over time I just might do the L98 thing.

Kim :yesnod:
Old 10-08-2003, 08:51 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Autotrader is usually over priced.
Look at http://www.autoshoppernetwork.com Santa Cruz.
Also http://www.centralcoastautoads.com
You might try The San Jose Mercury News.
Good luck with your hunt.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:02 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately the extra 2 or 3K initial outlay for an Lt1 would stress my finances right now. I just checked autotrader.com for '92s within 100 mi. of my house and they all had more miles than the '90 I am considering. I will check the weather stripping and other stuff before I make an offer though. I expect to have to cough up some money for worn out parts as time goes by, but if I can get a good looking and good driving car for 8K or so and spend some money over time I just might do the L98 thing.

I understand your financial situation clearly. Just don't jump at the first car out there. The car you mention does not seem like a steal to me but an ok deal - a fair price. I would look at about 5-10 cars before you buy one unless you are just jonesing for a Vette.

There are cars out there with low mileage, people going through divorce or just people getting rid of their toys ---- deals can be had if you take your time.

You have to be careful when you buy cars with like 100,000 miles. Although there are several of us that have had Corvettes well over 100,000 -- parts do wear and take their toll. This is where the history and the owner can come into play. Can an L98 or LT1 go 200,000 miles sure...... will it go 200,000 after someone beat the hell out of it during its first 100,000 miles? Probably Not!

The key is to be selective. I am sure there are many members on this board that bought a car that they wish they hadn't and after piling a bunch of $$$ into it, it never seems to stop -- they sometimes wish they had bought a later model or a model with less wear and tear.

For other members, they like tearing it apart and will throw all kinds of $$$ at the car without looking back.... It all just depends on the owner and what they are passionate about.

Good Luck in your Search !!

California is a great state to buy a car in. It is where I bought the 90 Z.

California weather just seems to be friendly to cars. Cars last forever out there.

Kim :yesnod:
:cheers:

[Modified by xlr8nflorida, 10:06 PM 10/8/2003]
Old 10-08-2003, 11:15 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go drive it. the 6 spd 90 for that price is gonna be tough to beat.
good luck! if its in decent shape and runs out good,even if you decide you dont like it,you can always resell it at that price.
my .02
Old 10-09-2003, 03:22 PM
lakerat
Instructor

Default Re: good price for a '90? (mitymek)

If your finances are already stressed, buying a specialty car such as a Corvette will not help your situation. Your dream can be realized in its proper time through patience and perseverance. If you buy a 13-year-old car today and are not ready for the maintenance that undoubtedly ensues, your anguish will double as you stare at your broken dream sitting in the driveway while you save for parts.

When the time is right, you’ll know. Then, fixing/improving will be almost as much fun as sitting behind the wheel.
:auto:
Old 10-09-2003, 09:44 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: good price for a '90? (lakerat)

i think if it really is in the condition described its a steal. As i always say everyone on the forum wants to say anything but their own car isn't worth much but if they went to sell theirs there would be a reason it would be work thousands more. If you get a 90 in good shape like that for that price you are ahead of the game. I paid 13,500 for my 91 vert a year and a half ago as you see it in my sig with 80,xxx miles on it and i dont regret one penny. There is always a better deal out there. More important than that is how it was maintained. I say if it is as described then grab it. Don't listen to this it's a little high or even it sounds about right crap. I nice 90 is still worth 9-10 K at least where i live. Hell i went to Simon Chevrolet yesterday and they are sooooo overpriced. They have a 96 with 76,000 miles on it for 21K!! And a 89 with 8,000 miles for 22K!! Now that is overpricing, what youa re descibing is a deal to me. I sold my 84 just last year with 114K for 6 grand. Surely a 90 is worth a few grand more and i sold my 84 in 3 days.

Get notified of new replies

To good price for a '90?

Old 10-09-2003, 09:56 PM
11yellowgscpe
Burning Brakes

Default Re: good price for a '90? (robertpel9)

I bought a 90 about a year ago. 122,000 miles, auto for $6000. Since then, new rack n pinion, EGR, seats, carpet, targa top, brack booster, rotors, shocks, tires, steering column insides, speakers. $8600 worth of inprovement. I probably won't get it back but MAN I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!! :steering: :steering: :auto:
Old 10-09-2003, 11:12 PM
90coupewithlowmiles
Racer

Kim,

Best of luck to you. I agree with your decision to purchase a 90. I have a metallic red coupe and a zr1.

Maybe I will see you on 880...........

Ken
Old 10-10-2003, 11:17 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Default Re: good price for a '90? (90coupewithlowmiles)

Theres a 89 coupe with 56k for $10,000 in San Jose. That car will go for $9000.00

Quick Reply: good price for a '90?