C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:05 AM
DHUNT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT

I HAVE A 95 CONBERTIBLE WITH A DELCO BOSE GOLD SERIES STEREO.
THE BACKLIGHT FOR THE DISPLAY IS BURNED OUT HOW HARD IS IT TO
REPLACE, THE CAR WILL BE PUT AWAY FOR THE WINTER SHORTLY. I WOULD
LIKE TO FIX THIS MYSELF IF POSSIBLE..ANY THOUGHTS????
Old 10-22-2003, 06:48 PM
Vette73
LS/MFT
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT (DHUNT)

The bulbs are soldered in place and are not "user serviceable parts". But would make a fun winter project :lol:
Old 10-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Alchemist
Race Director

NC Events Coordinator

Check the archived threads. About a year (or so) ago i downloaded screw-by-screw instructions for changing that bulb, complete with the Radio Shack part number for the bulb. I KNOW i have it at work..but not here at home. If you can't find it in the archives, i'll load it on a disk, bring it home and repost it...i just wish i could remember to whom to give the credit!

:)
Old 10-22-2003, 11:01 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Re: DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT (Alchemist)

Have the same problem and tried the archives with no success (other than seeing an old post of mine asking for advice on this)
Can you help us guys out, Alchemist?

Larry
code5coupe...the Assassin
:seeya
Old 10-23-2003, 01:26 AM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

http://doctordons.com

Its what I would do. :yesnod:
Old 10-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT (Southern Comfort)

SC, thanks for the lead on Dr Don's.

Cya!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:53 AM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Re: DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT (Beautiful Beast)

Crap - my light just burned out last week. I, too, am hoping that the fix will get posted here. Texas is a little far to drive just to fix a light bulb. :smash:
Old 10-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT (MTVette)

I have the same thing happening in my bose display screen...awaiting a part # for the bulbs....anyone?
Old 10-24-2003, 10:04 PM
DHUNT
7th Gear

Default Re: DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT (Vette73)

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate any information on the difficulty of removing
the head of the unit. Also I understand that in order ro reinstall the head unit there is a
code that must be entered somehow to make it work again.....help.... and thanks !!!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 10:08 PM
DHUNT
7th Gear

Thanks for the information I'm hoping for some intense information on the actual
procedure for removing the head unit so I don't screw it up !!Any help would be
very much appreciated...Doug
Old 10-26-2003, 05:39 AM
Alchemist
Race Director

NC Events Coordinator

Ok Guys! You asked for it...you got it. Here's the text from the tech tip on replacing that lit'l PITA Delco bulb! I just wish i could remember who originally posted this to give credit where credit is due!

Steps for Removal Of the Delco-Bose Radio for light bulb replacement

Before doing anything, take a good look at your unit at night and determine where the dark areas are. This will help you understand which bulbs require replacement once you get the radio apart.

Parts Required
Radio Shack
12 volt, Bi-Pin, 50 milliamp bulbs - P/N 272-1154 ($1.39 each) 1 per package

Pulling the Head Unit
With car sitting on a level surface, apply emergency brake and select neutral with shifter.

Turn ignition switch to off.

Pry shifter button out of shift **** by inserting a thin blade screwdrivers on each side of button.

Use a pair of straight nose snap ring pliers to remove spring clip on shifter ****.

Pull shifter **** off of shift lever.

Remove shifter trim plate by first removing two 7 mm screws inside console.

Pull corners of carpet up to reveal screws.

Remove the one 7 mm screw that is found inside cup holder.

Gently lift up trim plate until you can unplug shift indicator light. Rotate light socket to disengage from plate.

Unplug cigarette lighter socket by prying the two tabs and slide socket off of lighter receptacle.

Leave rear deck release wiring attached to button, and swing trim plate to the passenger seat.

Lower steering wheel by tilting to the lowest position.

Remove two cross head screws in A/C duct, and remove grill

Remove radio trim plate by first removing two screws at bottom of plate and one at top right. Be careful when removing trim plate because there is a spring clip on left side. Pull straight out to disengage clip.

Radio has 4 screws that hold it into dash. Remove all 4 screws, being careful not to drop any. They are hard to find once you drop them.

Remove radio from dash, by sliding out and at the same time prying the trim away to allow room for the radio attachment ears. If you are not careful, you will scratch the trim work.

When radio is out sufficiently, unplug the two electrical connectors. Don’t worry; they are keyed so you can’t mix them up when plugging back in.

Repairing the Backlight
Take radio to workbench, or table, and lay a soft cloth or cardboard down to protect both the radio and counter top.

Remove the top cover of radio. There are about 13 small screws located on the top, back and sides. With top off, remove the volume, balance, and tone ***** by pulling off. These ***** are specific to each function, so don’t mix them up. If you do, no big deal, you just have to sort it out.

Next, you want to remove the faceplate. This is done by gently prying the tabs that are located on the top and sides. The face will rotate out at the top first. Continue rotating until you can disengage the tabs on the bottom side. Pull the plate out far enough to disconnect the two connectors on the ribbon cables going to the back of the faceplate. Once the cables are disconnected, the plate can be completely removed from the radio.

There are 4 small socket head screws on the circuit board that hold the circuit board to the faceplate. Lay the face plate face down and remove the four screws. Gently lift the board away from the face plate. Be careful and don’t accidentally dump out all your face plate push buttons, cause then you won’t know which button goes where…unless you have a better memory than me. My savior was a picture of the radio in the MidAm Catalog. Need I say more?

Now, where were we? You will see 3 lights around the display, and four lights in the pushbutton area. The 3 lights around the display are identical to the ones you bought at Radio Shack. Unsolder the old ones and replace. The 4 in the pushbutton area are not an exact match in size, but they work, and are easy to solder into the board.

When all lights are replaced in the board, set it aside and look at the two light bulbs by the volume and balance controls. The top light is replaceable, and can be removed by grasping with your fingers and pulling out. Replacement bulbs are available at AutoZone or at the dealer. Don’t ask the dealer to look the part up on his computer, cause he won’t show it. Just show him the bulb. The bottom light is hard soldered and if you must replace it, use one of the bulbs you purchased at Radio Shack. Again, the bulbs won’t be an exact match, but they work just fine.

Re-assembly is pretty straightforward. Be careful, and when re-installing into the dash, slide the unit in far enough to hook the two connectors up, then try the lights prior to final assembly.

Don’t forget to slide the shift indicator slot over the shifter tab when lowering the console plate back into position.

(Edit to correct spellings and make article more readable ;) )

[Modified by Alchemist, 9:26 AM 10/26/2003]
Old 10-26-2003, 08:22 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks, Alchemist! You are a true Corvette brother.
Now, where's that soldering gun....?

Larry
code5coupe
:seeya
Old 10-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Another BIG thanks!! Looks like I have my winter project planned!!!
Old 10-29-2003, 10:58 PM
DHUNT
7th Gear

Default Re: DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT (Eric 96)

I very much appreciate the information contained in the post from Alchemist.
Thanks very much, I'm sure that with your help I'll be able to fix this problem
over the winter while my car is in storage thanks again...
Old 10-29-2003, 11:07 PM
DHUNT
7th Gear

I just gave credit to Alchemist for his or her great indepth help for the repair process
for the Delco Bose backlight problem, however I did neglect to find out the procedure
for reinstalling the head and needing the correct code procedure..this was just a
reminder to me after reading a very recent post and I had forgetten to ask this all
important question!!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Bose Radio Back Light

I can't tell if this is my post from yesterday, my apologies if not.

This is a great thread. I had searched the forum for this info before I posted but could not find anything that really helped.

The posts to this thread are great!!! I took out my radio yesterday and the instructions are spot on.

thanks to all who helped.

Tom
Old 08-03-2021, 02:37 AM
sebvegas
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I know it's a long stretch but I just bought an amazing '95 corvette and of course the light of the Bose radio is out. I tried to find online the bulbs I need to replace but I can't find them. It is for the display.
Any suggestions please ?

Get notified of new replies

To DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT

Quick Reply: DELCO BOSE STEREO BACKLIGHT