C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Not quite the same ole: 91 L98 engine Vs 92 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 03:23 PM
merplastic91
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (INaband)

if i diet and lose 100lbs what improvement can i expect in the 1/4 mile ?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 10-24-2003, 03:39 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: (merplastic87)

~1 tenth
Old 10-25-2003, 11:36 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

The stock tuned port manifold should never have seen the underside of a corvette hood in my opinion. It is a great setup for a pick-up, but I personally like the LT-1's. Stock -vs- stock the two are not that far apart, but once you start to mod the car, that TPI will haunt you with poor performance. Driving style must be taken into account, and the L98's aren't cutting it for me. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:15 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Not quite the same ole: 91 L98 engine Vs 92 LT1 (robertpel9)

6 speed lt1 will stomp on a l98. Stock auto lt1 will have trouble on the hole with an L98 until after the 1/8. All things being equal, mod either of the engines its a crap shoot depending on mods applied, if its top end l98 will lose. Just a nickels worth
Old 10-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Rob 93ZR-1
Race Director

Location: Fear causes hesitaiton...and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. Houston TX
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: (merplastic91)

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I rode w/ a buch of guys at CIIV and slowed them all down an average of .3 I weight 275 so that works out about right. You COULD drill out a bunch of lightning hole in the car. :lol:
Old 10-30-2003, 02:08 AM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikez40 is right Rob. All things being equal...the L98 will take an LT-1 off the line, but the LT1 will take it out right about the end of that 1/8th of a mile. This is stock for stock of course. My uncle owns a 92 LT-1 and we even took them for an actual test.......I used another 90 though cuz mine's modified. The 90 was stock as was his except for a K&N on both of em. In the stock 90 I had him, but when we reached about 50 or 60, his acceleration started to pick up better....we were side-to side at 100 or so and his slowly inched ahead of me....both pedal-2-the-medal of course. The difference between the two is not by much, but the L98 superior for off the line while the LT1 will dominate in top end. I think the ride of an LT-1 is typically a smoother ride when its moving, but very jerky at stops. The L98 is less smooth on the ride, but more like a roadster feel and is preferable when it stops and goes with less jerkiness. Personally I like the L98 cuz its more comfortable at around town speeds and the engine is alot cheaper to maintain without any opti issues to worry about. Plus if you ever have to drive in the rain, it's a lot less weight on your shoulders when you've got an L98 as opposed to an LT1 if you go over a big puddle. I am biased though seeing how I have an L98 daily driver. You cant eliminate this. There's no way that I can realistically say that I'm not biased. Its subconscious. I dont think LT1 suck in any sense of the word, but I do think that for a more-power geared engine it sure is alot more inneficient for your wallet. such power differences are minor to say the least between the two engines and double the power difference can be added very easily to any modfied vette and with alot more cost efficiency. Practicality-wise I would have to say the L98 is a superior engine to own because of its low ratio of cost to power considering its relative closeness to power of the LT1 in the first place. If you have the financial ability to wipe yer azz with 100 bills though, all the better to ya.....keep the LT1, but in the end a modified L98 could be just as great if not better than a modified LT1 performance and power wise for less cash and the maintenance would probably be far less $$$. You can judge for yourself. They're both vettes and that's really the whole point in the first place. Its not like were comparing vettes to civics or anything. :rolleyes: LOL
Old 10-30-2003, 02:21 AM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ

Default Re: (scorp508)

All of the L98s are so close in power that they are basically identical with varying weather conditions. A gallon or two of gas or a fat azz driver will throw those extra 10 ponies out the window.
Good point. I've had a fat azz friend in my vette(dunno why the hell I let him talk me into it), dude weighed like 280-300 lbs....lol I almost heard my poor engine cough when we made a turn. Engine performance was definitely lacking. He was like..."floor it DUDE!"....I just started laughing and shook my head as I took him to his destination. I felt like I had a much bigger and fatter Chunk from Goonies in the passenger seat. Lmao. I shouldv'e showed him the manual in the glove compartment and turned to the page where it says "Your Corvette should NEVER be used for towing". Hehehe I'm goin straight to hell..... :lol:
Old 10-30-2003, 08:41 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Re: Not quite the same ole: 91 L98 engine Vs 92 LT1 (MaSTeRofDZaSTeR)

MasterofDzaster..........I definately have to agree with you that an LT1 is ridiculously expensive.....in my eyes....to modify and even maintain. Not to mention a PIA to work on. I have a 92 LT1, and let me tell you...if I had spent some time on this forum before I bought it....I may have chosen to get an L98 myself. With the opti problems, and the torturous tune ups...etc... Don't get me wrong the extra ponies that the LT1 give you is great, but like you said....the L98 can be brought up to snuff with ease!

I still believe that stock for stock the LT1 will take the L98 in the 1/4 mile. The L98 FEELS faster because of its low end tourque "grunt". The LT1 doesn't feel like it is fast....until you look down at your speedo and see how fast you are going!!

After driving both of our cars.....I think that I am going to take Bob (Robertpel9), when we finally get to the track and line em' up. The 6 speed and the 3:42's will prevail! :D

-Rick
Old 10-30-2003, 08:58 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: (MaSTeRofDZaSTeR)

I have to agree with you. I would in a perfect world like an LT-4 Vert. But i'd rather have my L98 otherwise. I like that i have the later body style and interior and that my engine is a snap towork on in comparison and most of the parts are readily accessable and cheaper. I also think it has a better around town feel than the LT-1 (JMHO) i like how it is snappier to me off the line. Although the nice long pull of the LT-1 is nice too. Defferent strokes for different folks. For me in the world of C4's (and i have to have a vert co coupes are excluded) i like

1)LT-4 Vert (MY favorite)
2)1991 L98 Vert (What i own)
3)C5 Vert

To each their own though thats what makes corvettes and C4 in particular great there are so many to choose from. What other generation had so many different models. I really like all C4's i just like mine 2nd best LOL.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:03 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: (robertpel9)

Rick,
I was writing at the same time. I also thing you will take me at the track but for three reasons:

1) You have a lot of experience drag racing a real drag car, i have none
2) Gear Ratio
3)6 speed and you know how to shift it.

I think it will be much closer than you think though. Also if we switch cars i am pretty sure you could take out your own car in my car. It will be fun nonetheless and thats what really counts. Who knows i may get lucky. She is running pretty good these days!!
Old 10-30-2003, 09:11 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Re: (robertpel9)

Who knows i may get lucky. She is running pretty good these days!!
Yeah or I may get unlucky and my rickety, clackity, POS 6 speed might fall right out of the car! :D

-Rick
Old 10-30-2003, 08:50 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Not quite the same ole: 91 L98 engine Vs 92 LT1 (MaSTeRofDZaSTeR)

Master of dzaster---How can you say that the LT-1 is going to cost more to modify and maintain than an L-98? On an L-98 you just about have to buy a completely new manifold if your are going to make any real power and stay N/A. The L-98 heads or 113's won't flow as well as LT-1's can either. As for the dreaded OPTI, I live in Washington and know a fair share about driving in the rain. I have never had any problems with an OPTI due to water of any kind. I currently own both engine styles and I am currently transplanting a LT-1 engine in my L-98 car! As far as either engine/car combo being "jerky", I don't know what you are talking about. Either car should be pretty darn smooth. This isn't intended to be a flame, it is more of a defense for the LT-1.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:14 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Not quite the same ole: 91 L98 engine Vs 92 LT1 (ANTI VENOM)

I've spent a lot of time with both. I think the L98 FEELS faster and the LT-1 IS faster. There is a noticably stronger pull off the line in an L98 in my opinion but no denying the LT-1 wins the footrace.

As for working on it. I'd rather work on a L98 anyday of the week. Whoever designed the LT-1 engine bay should be shot. And i don't think the opti is as problematic as most people make it out to be but it is still moronic to have it where it is. A much of a location issue as a moisture issue. The LT-1 is NOT fun to work on. The L98 is no picnic but is much easier IMO for a backyard mechanic. Just my 2 cents.

[Modified by robertpel9, 6:15 PM 10/31/2003]
Old 10-31-2003, 10:21 PM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 91, 6 spd, all stock, (Have a 99 6 spd now). In the 91, at 5mph, smash the throttle (no clutch), it would fry the tires. My 99 won't do that.
My buddies with the LT-1s would pull me at high RPMs, but down low, the L-98 was faster. GREAT off the line power, ART
Old 11-01-2003, 09:53 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Not quite the same ole: 91 L98 engine Vs 92 LT1 (Arthur6)

I had a 91, 6 spd, all stock, (Have a 99 6 spd now). In the 91, at 5mph, smash the throttle (no clutch), it would fry the tires. My 99 won't do that.
My buddies with the LT-1s would pull me at high RPMs, but down low, the L-98 was faster. GREAT off the line power, ART
This is why I made the conscious decision to buy a later L98. In no way do I disrespect the LT1 - IMO its a superb engine. But I've driven both, and its just my personal preference that the feel of a properly tuned L98 is ***** to the wall great from a dead stop. If I was into racing, then for a C4 I would have started off with an LT1/LT4 and modded it from there. But as a normal daily driver, I'll keep the L98 and buy one time after time. Top end numbers, track times, etc. are totally meaningless to me (being an average goofball :lol:), its the FEEL from a stop light and IMHO thats what its all about.

I must repeat however, that the LT1 is a superb machine :cheers: :grouphug:
Old 11-01-2003, 10:44 PM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

interesting. at 5 mph if i stomp on it mine will fry the tires too.and its an auto.
i havent heard anyone mention partial throttle comparison.
and i think thats where the l98 is better.
once my lt1 hits 3k it snaps to the rev limiter.
ive never drove an l98 but ive seen the curves.
im thinking that the stronger feel you l98 supporters are refering to is pulling from stoplights at,say, mid to 3/4 throttle.
if you compare the charts im betting the l98 actually is putting out more torque than the lt1 at,say,1800 to 2500 rpms.
if this is true then i can see where the l98 would leave the impression that it is stronger offline than the lt1.
sounds like these things or so close its almost up to the driver as far as real world performance.
i would venture to say the lt1 is a fuzzy more "tricky" to drive than the l98.
(remember,ive never drove the l98)
i know one thing,when your getting frisky with an lt1 and 373 gears you need to be on your toes.you want it pointing straight when it hits 2800 rpms at wot cuz stuffs fixing to get interesting :)

Quick Reply: Not quite the same ole: 91 L98 engine Vs 92 LT1