C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

i want loud, loud, loud.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 10:00 PM
nhs2004
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i want loud, loud, loud.

i have a 1996 LT-1 and i'd like it as loud as possible. at the moment i have two flowmaster 40 series two chamber mufflers welded onto the stock pipes. i would like to take the catalyc conveters off but then i couldn't pass emissions. are there any suggestions to making my car as loud as possible and still be emissions legal?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:06 PM
RadPolo96
Drifting

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (nhs2004)

I just had Hooker Longtubes put on as well as high flow cats. I have no mufflers or resonator. It is just about as loud as one can take. A nice rumble at idle and 2000rpm to WOT sounds like a nascar. Oh and I have 3" piping all the way back. Trust me you dont want it any louder than that...its quite deafening.
:thumbs:
Old 10-26-2003, 11:47 PM
VetteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (RadPolo96)

I just had Hooker Longtubes put on as well as high flow cats. I have no mufflers or resonator. It is just about as loud as one can take. A nice rumble at idle and 2000rpm to WOT sounds like a nascar. Oh and I have 3" piping all the way back. Trust me you dont want it any louder than that...its quite deafening.
:thumbs:
:iagree:
mines not that agressive, but i did do away with the muffs and resonator. sounds awesome and can hear me coming from quite a ways away. good good stuff
Old 10-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Clemson Vette
Pro

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (VetteLT4)

I know just the thing for you. buy some mccord power plates and install them just before your cats pointing straight down. it's crazy. just close em and you'll have your stock exhaust workin. open them and it's about as loud as it gets. scare sidewalk runners and set off car alarms stuff. beware, cops DONT like these. and flames will fly. :smash: :crazy: theres a few pics of how i did mine here. http://people.clemson.edu/~wsmille/i...vettemods.html
Old 10-27-2003, 10:03 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have muffler eliminator pipes on my '85 with the single cat. It's definetely loud enough! :D
Old 10-27-2003, 11:18 AM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put on LT headers and scrap those flowmasters. Put on Sweet Thunder 3" chambered pipes with the LT headers and you'll have loud,deep, and throaty. Add a hot cam too.

With everything I have done step-by-step modding this year, my exhaust has gotten louder and deeper sounding. Until it's almost too much for me. I can't stop doing burnouts. Just can't help myself

Ask any one who was standing around at Brookside when I burned out on Saturday. An LT4 owner chased me down at the next rest stop to ask what I have. Someone else says it sounds like a race engine.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:52 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (H P Bushrod)

I have muffler eliminator pipes on my '85 with the single cat. It's definetely loud enough! :D
I have been runnin around all summer with muffler elims on my 87 vert with the top down. It has a sound sumthin like a big block with side pipes. Now that cooler weather is here I do find some annoying resonance with the top up. But I do love the sound when I get on it! :) :) :)
Old 10-27-2003, 12:53 PM
JJ 86
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

add some long tubes and possible a cam.

40series flows+long tubes= loud: add to that no cats and a cam= very loud!! :smash:
Old 10-27-2003, 04:55 PM
Blighty Vette
Advanced

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (JJ 86)

I've just purchased an 85 (pick it up this sunday) with a straight through Borla system , no cats(not a legal requirement in this country), no silencers, no mufflers. Its legal but boy is it loud!!! V loud!!!
I'll probably run it for a while like this but for the sake of cabin noise (trust me, you can't hear anything other than exhaust) I'll soon put a couple of rear boxes on.

:steering: sleepless nights until Sunday :sleep:
Old 10-27-2003, 05:03 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go:
Keep your cats and your emissions stuff. For a loud, nice, throaty exhaust, get the chambered exhaust system offered in Mid America & Ecklers. You get the entire cat back set up for around $550. It mounts just like factory, increases the pipes to 3", and sounds just like a mid 60's Corvette with side exhaust. They way it does this is the resonator is replaced by two chambered exhaust sections (basically side pipe guts). At idle, it is a low rumble. Lay into the gas and it opens up. I will put it this way...the old people that couldn't vote here in Palm Beach County hear me coming!!
:D
:cheers:
Old 10-27-2003, 07:13 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want it "loud loud loud". Just take off everything including the headers!
Its really loud....though the fire siren might drown you out. . . . :jester

Really though...I would say just straight pipe it....it ain't legal...(most places)...but this is your track car right? :yesnod:
Old 10-27-2003, 09:14 PM
nhs2004
Heel & Toe

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (USAsOnlyWay)

actually it's not a track car, it's my everyday street car that i drive everywhere. is there any way to pass emissions without the cats being on the car. are there any types of bypass options i have to still keep it emissions legal?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:19 PM
nhs2004
Heel & Toe

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (Clemson Vette)

is there a website that i can look at these mccord power plates? and how do they operate from stock exhaust to open exhaust and does it work efficiently?
Old 10-27-2003, 11:48 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

There was a GP on them a while back...you can search for it and find that...but if you really want to stay legal.

I would suggest LongTube (or LT as we say it...incase you were wondering what that meant above) headers, and ditching everything excpet the main cat. That or a new exhaust system with dual cats. Either way...to be emissions legal you will most likely need a cat. But just a cat should be really really loud. So it should be what you are looking for. Plus LTs will boost power a bit...

But just know...there also are sound restrictions...you might want to see if you have one if you are really worried about being legal. . .
Good luck!
Old 10-28-2003, 12:18 AM
RippieC4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 1996 LT-1 and i'd like it as loud as possible. at the moment i have two flowmaster 40 series two chamber mufflers welded onto the stock pipes. i would like to take the catalyc conveters off but then i couldn't pass emissions. are there any suggestions to making my car as loud as possible and still be emissions legal?
Yea, you'll enjoy the loudness untill you begin to lose the high frequency range of your hearing (permanent), and that's not the worse part. The worse part is when that ringing you hear after the rock concert comes and stays for the rest of your freakin life! And it will. And after Zoloft and six months of therapy with your psychiatrist who tries to help you adjust to this 700 pound gorilla in your head who won't leave you alone, you'll say wtf was I thinking about! Why didn't I wear some hearing protection. Too late for me, it started Nov of 2000; had it now for three years, just beginning to learn to live with it. Doc's say it's all from drag racing, LOUD pipes, rock music, and flying jets in the Air Force. Better think about it guys. Use to love it, still do, but would never, ever listen without some protection. :banghead:
Old 10-28-2003, 11:15 AM
1996man
Melting Slicks

VetteLT4: I have an LT4 as well. Right now I am just running 2.75 inch pipe where my mufflers were. It is ok but i like a little more of a mean tone myself! You say you took your resonator off? Did you still run pipe back to the tips? does it make it that much louder than if you just had muffler elims like me? How much resonance do you have? I have a tiny bit at about 2600 but it doesnt bother me at all.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:05 PM
nhs2004
Heel & Toe

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (1996man)

i have 2.50 inch pipes (just the stock ones) and i have had the resonator removed and i have two flowmaster 40 series mufflers mounted in place of the stock mufflers. i ran the flowmasters leaving the center mounted resonator on for a few months and once i got that removed it made a very noticable tone difference. i actually have never heard it with no mufflers on it so i 'm not sure how loud it would be by just putting turndowns on the back side of the catalyc converters which i may try in the near future. I have a good bit of interior resonance around 2500-3000 RPMs but like you said it doesn't bother me at all, I love it.

Get notified of new replies

To i want loud, loud, loud.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:08 PM
nhs2004
Heel & Toe

Default Re: i want loud, loud, loud. (RadPolo96)

I would love for the car to sound like a nascar car. when you have the hooker longtubes put on did you have to do any modifications to the placement of the catalyc converters. And it may be different but if i had done to my car what you had done to yours about what price range am i looking at? and do you have turndowns after the cats or does it rear exit or side exit?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:11 PM
nhs2004
Heel & Toe

i have heard people talking about how edelbrock headers were better than hooker headers and others say the exact opposite. Have you had any probs with the hooker headers? do you think there would be any bad effects of putting turn downs on the car?
Old 10-30-2003, 01:23 AM
CLoNE
Racer

I'm glad I'm not your neighbor, keep in mind if you have some you will most likely **** them off. Pissed off neighbor's is not a good thing.My .02

Aren't glass packs loud,and purple glass packs even louder?

Quick Reply: i want loud, loud, loud.