Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to buy a Vette (C4)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:12 PM
DarkRed95
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to buy a Vette (Darcane)

Here is the place for the RPO Codes:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...o/8496rpo.html
Old 10-29-2003, 03:51 PM
1996man
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (DarkRed95)

i dont think i will make it to the track tongiht i am a youngin' in college and i have a test at 8am!... i usually try to go the first friday of each month though. traction is my main problem. my car feels pretty strong but i cant seem to get a good launch my best so far is 13.5 at 108. with that kind of trap speed its capable of a lot more
Old 10-29-2003, 05:20 PM
jtb
Instructor

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (1996man)

1996man: thanks for the reply. Give me a wave if you see me on the street. There are a couple polo greens in G-ville, but I am the one with the 40th year badges on the side. I am sure I will see you (I am always on the lookout for 'vettes)

Darcane: It is hard to find an LT1 for under $10,000 that is in good shape. If the car feels solid, I would go for it. Give them 8K for it and maybe plan on replacing the opti and water pump down the road when needed. By the looks of it, no one would ever believe you picked up a nice Corvette for less than ten grand! Do what everyone is saying and make yourself feel good about it: sit on it a few days, do extensive web searches for vettes for sale, maybe have a mechanic look at it and then go pick up that C4 if you want! There is nothing 'vetter!!! :yesnod:
Old 10-29-2003, 08:50 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor

All good advice here......

Keep looking, something will come along that will knock your socks off......

You're on the right track bro, just pay attention to the details.......

:cheers:
Old 10-29-2003, 09:35 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (edsalinas)

http://www.c4vettes.com/
Old 10-29-2003, 11:25 PM
iceman_t1
Pro

Darcane, I sent you email with a long checklist for C4's. Enjoy and good luck!!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:49 AM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

And all of the manual Vettes are on the high end of the price range.
Ah grasshopper, you are beginning to see the light.

A Corvette is a sports car and to many people a sports car means two things:
a. the top comes off, and
b. you shift your own gears. (some radicals would even say if you want a coupe with an automatic, buy a Honda).

Therefore, all else being equal, a convertible will cost more than a coupe and a manual trans will cost more than an automatic. It's also a matter of supply and demand. Every year since 1969 coupes have outsold verts and since 1972 automatics have outsold manuals.

So the real problem is the people who order new Corvettes. They obviously have no regard for those us us who will later be buying these cars in the used car market. :rant:
Old 10-30-2003, 02:41 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (6t9l4t6)

So the real problem is the people who order new Corvettes. They obviously have no regard for those us us who will later be buying these cars in the used car market.
:rofl:
Old 10-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Darcane
Instructor

Default Re: How to buy a Vette (6t9l4t6)

Well, I certainly agree with shifting gears on my own, but I'd much rather have a roof over my head if I'm doing any sort of racing. And roll bars look funny on a vert... Maybe we should start a thread on the C6 boards to convince everyone to buy manual trannys in their cars. :thumbs:

So, verts with a manual were the norm, pre '69? I'll have to tell my dad he's got a generic '67 Vette then. :) He's had it since the early '70's and is the second owner.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:28 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I certainly agree with shifting gears on my own, but I'd much rather have a roof over my head if I'm doing any sort of racing.

So, verts with a manual were the norm, pre '69? I'll have to tell my dad he's got a generic '67 Vette then. :) He's had it since the early '70's and is the second owner.
Don't get me wrong, have nothing against Corvette coupes. (I own a 69 T-Top). It's just a fact that as used cars, all else being equal, a vert will cost more than a coupe. I think the only exception is the 1963 split window coupe.

Anyway, I am in the market for a C4 and since I don't plan on racing it I have not yet decieded whether I want a coupe or a vert. On the one hand nothing like top down driving when the weather is nice but a coupe will allow me to carry more than a toothbrush if I take it on a trip.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:36 AM
Darcane
Instructor

Default Re: How to buy a Vette

Well, I took a look at the '93 today. In the daylight it quickly became apparant that there were issues with this car. The first thing I notice was some overspray on one of the turn signal lenses up front. Then I started looking for overspray elsewhere and noticed it here and there over the entire car. The dealership had no idea why the entire car had been repaited (and badly at that). It was better than most Maaco paint jobs I've seen, but not much.

The seals around the door and roof were all badly deteriorated and the carpeting was damp. The driver's side door hinges were worn out and the top of the window hit the body of the car when the door was shut. The hatch had a bad tint job that was coming off.

The car drove fine for the most part. Mechanically, the only problem I noticed was a front wheel that was out of balance, but it was enough that it could have been a bent wheel. The Opti-spark and water pump had not been replaced as far as I could tell though neither showed signs of failure.

I decided that there were more than enough problems with this one that I didn't want it, even at a low price (I think they would have unloaded it for $7K or so) and left a little disappointed.

So, I decided to call on another car and take it for a test drive. It's a '91 http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/v...r_id=147041886 that seems to be in very nice shape. It was dark when I looked at it, so it's a bit tough to tell, but even so I could tell that the paint was in better shape than the '93. The interior was much nicer (no damp carpets, no broken plastic, good rubber seals around the doors) and the only problems I noticed was a burnt out light in the stereo so you can't tell what station you're on and a speaker that just produced static for several seconds before it started working. It has the FX3 suspension and there was a light on the dash indicating it needed to be "serviced". Any ideas on what this would likely be and how much it would cost? This one also had an aftermarket exhaust by Borla including a high-flow cat which sounds pretty good.

The one thing holding me back on the car is the engine (well, that and I don't have a loan finalized). While it's still adequate, it's noticeably slower than the LT1 in the '93 I had driver earlier. I suppose I could use the money from the difference in price between this car and an LT1 to make them equivilent. I guess what I want to know is if it's really worth it to get the LT1 and just keep looking till I find one.

Quick Reply: How to buy a Vette (C4)