Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Who has had their Vette stolen???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 01:17 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has had their Vette stolen???

The other day my girlfriend's radio was stolen out of her Honda. :cry Honda's are very easy to break into. They just slim jimmed the door and got what they wanted, and then LOCKED UP afterwards. Go figure. But she asked me if vettes get stolen a lot? I said, "I hope not!!" Who in the forum has had their ride stolen?
Old 01-15-2004, 01:37 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (1nicec4)

knock on wood,,,, NO
Old 01-15-2004, 02:28 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (vinnies87)

knock on wood,,,, NO
:withstupid:
Considering on installing a hidden fuel pump/ignition kill switch though....
:cheers: JRC

[Modified by JrRifleCoach, 11:30 AM 1/15/2004]
Old 01-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (JrRifleCoach)

knock on wood,,,, NO
:withstupid:

:cheers: JRC
That would be devastating.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:31 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Actually, when I was shopping for insurance, my agent told me that Corvettes aren't even in the top 30 cars stolen! Reason being, most people lock them in garages, don't drive them to "normal" places like malls or park on the side of the street downtown.

If a Vette is stolen, it's usually for a "joy ride" and it winds up totalled anyway.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:41 PM
86_RedRider
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '05

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (ShawnZR-1)

Actually, when I was shopping for insurance, my agent told me that Corvettes aren't even in the top 30 cars stolen! Reason being, most people lock them in garages, don't drive them to "normal" places like malls or park on the side of the street downtown.

If a Vette is stolen, it's usually for a "joy ride" and it winds up totalled anyway.
:iagree:

hondas are the most stolen cars because their parts. they fit a variety of years and models. main stream auto theft is for chop shops and not for the car value as a whole, too risky.

edit: by the way, vettes are really easy to break into, i've broken into my car many of times with just a hanger.

[Modified by 86_RedRider, 2:43 PM 1/15/2004]
Old 01-15-2004, 04:00 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (86_RedRider)

Quote:

Every one here has probably seen the police chase video of the stolen C4 with flat tires, losing control and hitting a semi.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:47 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even want to think about it!! And shame on you for asking!! :lol:
Old 01-15-2004, 06:32 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (ShawnZR-1)

I was told the exact same thing. My agent (also a friend of our family), told me "Those things are high up there on the list of cars stolen, I hope it'll be garaged!". So, to date my car has never been to a mall, restaurant or anywhere I have to worry about it!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 07:48 PM
zelement
Melting Slicks

none of mine have ever been stolen...(knock on wood), but I drive it like I stole it!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:03 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (zelement)

I drive my vettes everywhere everyday I have always had a corvette as a daily driver, I have also owned corvettes living abroad, and I must say that you cant worry about your car getting stolen if it does thats what insurance is for, Take the precautions to prevent it, but know this if a thief wants your car they will take it.
All you really need is a flat bead with a winch and you can have any car anywhere any time. stealing a car is not very hard and getting into a vette is even easier.

You know that factory alarm you have, honks the horns right, that can be taken care of with a simple pop of the hood and disconect the plugs from the horns no more noise!

thast just my observation though if you want even more security dont get a alarm get a kill switch!

and vette parts bring a premium as well all parts do.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:31 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I stole it! Does that count?
Old 01-15-2004, 09:10 PM
RutsRup
Instructor

Heh-heh, this reminds me of a story I read on usenet a few years ago, in alt.autos.corvette. This guy claimed that his midyear was stolen from him him in 1967, and then thirty years later he saw the car in a parking lot. Something like that. Anyway, he said he took his keys and went out and got in the car, started it up, and drove it home. It was so LAME. When I asked him why he carried keys to a car that was stolen thirty years earlier, he didn't reply. It's always amusing to see someone shoot off their mouth without thinking, something I've been accused of on more than one occasion. At least I have a degree of credibility.

Anyway, my other story is about this chick who worked with me in SF, she parked her 60s mustang right across the street, with the club on it. I always admired the car, it was sort of an ice-blue color. She went out to feed the meter ten minutes later and it was gone, just gone. Within ten minutes, someone stole the car, I couldn't believe it. They found it a week later in the east bay, stripped. What a shame.

Anyone who has ever had their car stolen certainly has my sympathies, except for that tall-tale blowhard on usenet.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Oly
Safety Car

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (phrogs)

I drive my vettes everywhere everyday I have always had a corvette as a daily driver, I have also owned corvettes living abroad, and I must say that you cant worry about your car getting stolen if it does thats what insurance is for, Take the precautions to prevent it, but know this if a thief wants your car they will take it.
All you really need is a flat bead with a winch and you can have any car anywhere any time. stealing a car is not very hard and getting into a vette is even easier.

You know that factory alarm you have, honks the horns right, that can be taken care of with a simple pop of the hood and disconect the plugs from the horns no more noise!

thast just my observation though if you want even more security dont get a alarm get a kill switch!

and vette parts bring a premium as well all parts do.
I agree although I did have an aftermarket alarm installed. I didn't buy the car to be afraid to drive it, it's pretty much my daily driver unless the fog's too thick (less than 150' visability).

:thumbs:
Old 01-15-2004, 10:08 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (dizwiz24)

Quote:

Every one here has probably seen the police chase video of the stolen C4 with flat tires, losing control and hitting a semi.
:eek: And the guy flew out of the car and tried to get away :eek:
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Zeek
CF Superior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07, '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20,'21-'22-'23-'24
Official Sponsor of the 60 Day VacatioNN
10,000 poster in the "thread" Part II

Back around 1975 I had a 67 vert w/hardtop, nothing spectacular but a nice black on black 327 4 speed with flared wheel wells and 10" Mickey's on back and 4" on front...(very :cool: in those days). It was my every day driver. I worked nights in Miami and came out every night to eat lunch in the vette and listen to some tunes....what a crappy feeling to come out and see and empty spot where my baby was..!!!! :eek: :eek: Turns out they broke the hinge on the vent window..and took it... :mad But....It all turned out ok in the long run...believe it or not the local pd found it three days later and the only thing missing was one rear wheel, the glove box door, and the floor shift console chrome....!!! didnt even take the hardtop...!! we figured some one must have scared them away before they could get too serious...obviously not professionals....the worst damage was done by the wrecker that hooked her from the rear and cracked the area out around the bumpers.....Best part was I had good insurance on it and friends in the paint and body and interior business.... :thumbs: When she was all finished being repaired she took best street machine in the world of wheels that year. :yesnod: :yesnod: After that I was too paranoid to drive it anywhere so I sold her to a guy who had been pestering me on a weekly basis to buy it....(Whew...didnt mean for this to be so long winded...!!!) :flag
Old 01-15-2004, 10:54 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (AGENT 86)

Quote:

:eek: And the guy flew out of the car and tried to get away :eek:

the tires wernt flat.
Ive seen that video a hundred times the first time was on scariest police videos, I didnt see the tires flat and he was crusin just fine, the truckers stop ahead of him and he got into a oversteer problem slide sidways and hit the butt of the truck, when he floped out of the car he just laid down watch that video again truly funny if you ask me and he is lucky to have lived, even though I would guess he was doing maybe 40 when he hit the truck.

anyway I like the part where the anouncer says corvettes are built for one thing SPEED :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Who has had their Vette stolen???

Old 01-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

:eek: The thought sends cold chills down my back! The things nightmares are made of.......
Old 01-16-2004, 02:29 AM
JSA 007
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Who has had their Vette stolen??? (Corvette Kid NC)

Hell, mine's never sat outdoors (in one place) for more than 2 hours :crazy:

If it gets stolen out of the the garage or storage, I'll let you know :lol:

:cheers:
Old 01-16-2004, 03:36 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm always the least paranoid about my 'vette getting stolen. Everytime I pay a friend or relative a visit, I'm badgered to park it in back, out of sight, or box it in behind other cars.

I figure if car theives are half as smart as hot blondes, they know what it's worth (not much) and they'll take their time and risk to something pricier.

I've often left my vette unattended with the top off, but I do lock up the stereo and V1 in the center compartment or rear. I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid.

My only fear is that if it gets totalled, insurance may not put me in an equivalent vette. But as far as damages goes, with full coverage and a $100 deductible, and an inkling for a new paint job, I don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Who has had their Vette stolen???