Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:36 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc?

So I've got my Backyard Buddy and have been using it a lot BUT what is the best way to jack up the Vette once it is on the lift for brake work, etc.

My car is WAAAAY low so I can't use a bottle jack on the front crossmember and the low profile air compressed ramps wouldn't work either. The rear I could probably use a jack-a-vette with a bottle jack. It's the front I'm mainly concerned with. I have a jack bridge so I could probably use a bottle jack on either side of the car and raise it that way.

Just looking to see if anybody has any clever solutions. I'm considering just lowering my lift to the point where I can get under it and then using a floor jack with a high lift to do this but the jack would need like a 36" range to really get the car up high so that I could put jackstands under it and I don't even know if they make jacks that go that high?
Old 02-14-2004, 10:27 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc? (RUKWKR)

Since mine is lowered, I have to drive up on a 2x6. I then use a air pancake jack to lift the car. I have 2 of the sliding jack pads that I use with short jackstands. I suport the car at 4 corners and pull the wheels.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:17 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc? (RichS)

Hmm. . . hadn't thought about that, might be able to get a pancake jack under there if I drove up on a board.

Do you use a jack-a-vette adapter on the diff?

Thanks

[Modified by RUKWKR, 10:24 AM 2/14/2004]
Old 02-14-2004, 01:09 PM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc? (RUKWKR)

I do this one of two ways. The first is to use a jack specifically designed for the lift, like a scissor jack that spans the two sides of the lift, with wooden blocks as cushions.

The second is to raise the lift, then put a builders Acrow prop under the car, and lower the lift to raise the car.

You may not call it that in the States, but it is like a telescopic scaffold pole.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:18 PM
ductape
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

On the inside of the treads or runners of my lift, there is a curled up lip that runs the full length on both. I have cut 6" channel to set on the lip and go from side to side. Also cut short pieces to "stack"on each other to raise the level of the chanel. Also have a lenght of 4" channel to lay on top of the 6". Between those and blocks of wood, I can get 2 bottle jacks, one on each side, and lift that puppy. This is how I did the brake turned wheel bearing turned e-brake turned u-joint job. :D

I also got some scrap metal about .25" that was 24" wide and goes from side to side, to hold my pan for oil changes. :cool:
Old 02-14-2004, 03:20 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Default Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc? (britvette)

yep, i know exactly what you are talking about, hadn't even thought of bringing the car down! That may be a winner.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Grizzly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Buddy with their own rolling jack. It is a little hard to explain, but if you think of it a rolling jackstand with a sissors jack as wide as the car built in you have some Idea. It runs off the main powerpack. Make changing tires a snap. A little pricey $1500, but well worth it. Check their web site
Old 02-18-2004, 10:58 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc? (Grizzly)

Yeah, it's not worth 1500 to me, I'll probably just go with one of the tripod stands and lower the car onto them.

thanks!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:53 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

When I first saw that setup I was like "I have to have that" Then he told me the price :eek: I ended up getting the second sliding jack pad :D There is no way it's worth that much.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Grizzly
Intermediate

Default Re: Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc? (RichS)

I admit it is a bit expensive, but by the time you get one jackstand under I will have all four wheels off the ground and be working. Probably the one thing I don't have a lot of is time. The other thing is the safety issue.

I still highly recomend it.............
Old 02-20-2004, 01:09 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

What I really want to find but have not been able to for a decent price is a device that is basically a bottle jack but it's like 6 feet tall. They are out there but the place that had em' wanted $400 and it still only supported like 1500 pounds.

It had a foot pump where you could just jack it, that's really all I need!

Maybe I could figure out a way to make my own.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:55 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

My car is lower than yours and i have a simple solution. piece of wood. just slide it behind or in front of the wheel (depending on what ur jacking- front or rear).. and drive on it. Voila the jack slides under enough to jack it. :seeya

[Modified by DieL, 5:56 AM 2/20/2004]
Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc?

I'm planning to add this lift jack to my lift soon. Manual sells for $650, air powered for $800: https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=39

[Modified by Flareside, 9:34 AM 2/20/2004]
Old 02-26-2004, 11:12 PM
GS Ragtop
Race Director

Location: Michigan in the summer, Florida the rest of the time
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11

I had a similar problem in that I wanted to pull off all four wheels at the same time. Wound up with a very simple, inexpensive solution. Here's the steps:

- Obtain 2 sets of stationary jack stands and four short pieces of 2x6 lumber
- Raise the car up on the ramps of the 4-post lift like you normally do
- Put one set of jack stands, extended to their highest setting, just inside the ramps
- Slide the wood under the jack stands to give even more height
- Drop the car down until it rests on the extended-height jack stands
- Continue to lower hoist until the ramp is completely lowered
- Place the other 4 jackstands on top of the ramp at a good lifting point under the car
- Raise the hoist, lifting the car onto the stands on the ramp

For the front end, I ended up using a single 3-foot piece of 2x4 on top of the inside jack stands because I couldn't find a good place to support the car. The rears worked fine with the 2x6 under the jack stands as described above.

Lowering the car back onto the tires is just the reverse of the steps. Works like a champ and is a very cheap, safe solution! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc?

Quick Reply: Guys with 4 post lifts check in here . . . how to lift the car up for brake work,etc?