Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Trouble getting it into reverse in new (for me) '93.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:38 AM
Alpherjo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble getting it into reverse in new (for me) '93.

Hi all!

Just looking for a little help here, I recently acquired from a late family member a 1993 6-speed Corvette. I don't know much about Corvettes, or 6-speeds, so I'm not sure if something's wrong or not.

Basically, I just can't get the car into reverse. I've been told by some that you have to push the stick down first, by others you have to push the stick way up first, but am having no luck. I've tried over and over to get it into reverse, and only one time was I able to slip it into reverse.

So I'm hoping that there isn't anything wrong with the transmission, and that I just need to know how to do it. If anyone can shed some light on the subject it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

btw - I really want to keep it, but my girlfriend really wants to sell it, and unfortunately I think she's going to win this one. It's a black with red leather interior 40th anniversary model, and has around 120,000 miles, if anyone is interested or wants to share what they think it may be worth that'd be cool too. We're located in San Diego.

Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:01 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (for me) '93. (Alpherjo)

Hey and welcome to the forum!

Mine is an auto but the standard I drove had a "collar" that you had to lift up on to put it in reverse. i guess so you can't accidentally go in it while shifting. Oh, and it took me a while to figure it out!!! But that's another story! :seeya
Old 03-11-2004, 01:06 AM
CRVETTE92
Instructor

Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (vetterlatethannever)

I have a 92 6-speed and right under the **** on the stick shift is a "colar". Place your hand on the stick like your going to shift and reach down with your fingers and pull up the "colar" then shift into reverse. I love that safety feature.

:flag :seeya
Old 03-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Q1KSLVR
Drifting

Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (CRVETTE92)

I'm glad they stopped that before '96, I hate that stupid lock-out! :thumbs:
Old 03-11-2004, 03:22 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi and welcome to the best place for Vettes. Glad you could join us. Wave at other C4's when ya see one driving around. We need pics of your baby!
OK, you have what's called the ZF6 transmission AKA as option code MN6. German made.
Sometimes they can break right here see red circle

That is part of the tranny's body. Made of aluminum. The goldish looking rectangleyellow arrow goes over this opening and secured with 4 acorn nuts. However it will not keep the break together when you shift into reverse. You will have the break TIG welded.
But first check your hydraulic fluid level in the master and check the line and slave for it's condition. Let us know if can be of further help. Ask in the tech section.
Sorry to hear your loosing your Vette. Maybe the G/F will have a change of heart or you will have a change of G/F :D :jester Just kidding

*edited out erroneous info(thanx Andy...I was thinking of the T56)

[Modified by 89 Paul in Cal, 6:53 PM 3/11/2004]
Old 03-11-2004, 05:26 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

It's a black with red leather interior 40th anniversary model
If it's Black, then it's not a 40th Anniversary. 93 40th Anniversary's were ALL Ruby Red. However, ALL 93's got special embroidery on the seat headrests that say "40th Anniversary". Trust me, this confused me at one time also.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:42 PM
lspalding
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (89 Paul in Cal)

Sorry to hear your loosing your Vette. Maybe the G/F will have a change of heart or you will have a change of G/F :D :jester Just kidding
:iagree: Keep the car. Dump the girl. Not kidding :steering:
Old 03-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ON 6-speeds you definety pull on on the small collar below the shifter to get into 6th. You might want the check the colar out. There is a very small (1-1.5mm) grub screw that goes thru the plactic colar and makes contact with the revese lockout rod that runs thru the shifer. I've had them go loose and they will not move the reverse lockout rod - never allowing the car to get into reverse.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:09 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (89 Paul in Cal)

Hi and welcome to the best place for Vettes. Glad you could join us. Wave at other C4's when ya see one driving around. We need pics of your baby!
OK, you have what's called the ZF6 transmission AKA as option code MN6. German made.
Sometimes they can break right here see red circle

That is part of the tranny's body. Made of aluminum. The goldish looking rectangleyellow arrow goes over this opening and secured with 4 acorn nuts. However it will not keep the break together when you shift into reverse. You will have the break TIG welded.
There are 2 versions of the ZF6 for our cars. The first (stronger)version started in 1989 and went to 1993(I think-someone correct me if I am wrong) and reverse was located next to 6th gear. After 93(???) reverse is located next to 5th gear. So, it's possible the break is on the same side as the above pictured but on the bottom and not the top. Because it is oppsosite of where you are trying to push the shifter.
But first check your hydraulic fluid level in the master and check the line and slave for it's condition. Let us know if can be of further help. Ask in the tech section.

[Modified by 89 Paul in Cal, 12:24 AM 3/11/2004]
All ZFs have reverse next to 6th gear.

I would check the clutch fluid, and change the transmission oil.

Clutch fluid: it is below the ECU, under the hood, drivers side on the firewall.

You can use brake fluid to fill it if required. I recommend Valvoline Synpower. Good stuff.

ZF oil: GM recommends a 30 weight synthetic. However, we here have found that BMW recommends 10-60 Castrol TWS synthetic. They use it in their version of the ZF6 (as used in the 850/840 and I think the M5). You can get the oil only at your local BMW dealership. Its about 7.00 a litre.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Drewdog
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (lspalding)

:iagree: Keep the car. Dump the girl. Not kidding :steering:
:iagree:
Old 03-12-2004, 01:27 AM
Q1KSLVR
Drifting

Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (bogus)

There are 2 versions of the ZF6 for our cars. The first (stronger)version started in 1989 and went to 1993(I think-someone correct me if I am wrong) and reverse was located next to 6th gear. After 93(???) reverse is located next to 5th gear.
:nonod: Yup you're wrong.... The reverse next to 5th is the Borg Warner. (Camaro, T/A, C-5) :nonod:

The ZF is a far superior transmission. Too bad they stopped using it. :sad:

That's another thing the makes the C-4 so much more attractive!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:16 AM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (Q1KSLVR)

The ZF is a far superior transmission. Too bad they stopped using it. :sad:

That's another thing the makes the C-4 so much more attractive!
The ZF may be superior but the repair costs certainly aren't attractive! :cry Make sure to take good care of it.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Alpherjo
2nd Gear

Default Re: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (JasonL)

Thanks for all the help, I found the collar and it slips into reverse no problem!

Thanks too for the info about it not being a 40th anniversary edition.

Just wanted to let you all know too that I did end up leaving my lady so I can spend some REAL quality time with the 'Vette. So far our relationship is going great!

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2017, 02:29 PM
imk1968
5th Gear

I have the same problem with my 89 6 speed ... same transmission. Unfortunately parts can be a real problem.

I read the info you received ... nothing there was of any value to me.

Seems the partsd can break in normal use...

Get notified of new replies

To Trouble getting it into reverse in new (for me) '93.

Quick Reply: Trouble getting it into reverse in new (for me) '93.