Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:40 PM
jdog0411
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one?

I have heard the arguments against buying a low mile C-4 and using it as a daily driver (bad seals, dry rot, etc..). But I just can't shake the desire to get a next to new Corvette and using it as a daily driver.

I think a lot of it comes from my desire to buy a "new" C-4 when I was never able to do so back when they were still in production. I know these cars will go for more money because of the condition they are in, and I am not concerned with loss of value from driving the car. Other than replacing the rubber components, seals, etc.....would there be any other appreciable problems with a very low mile car as a daily driver?

I would especially like the opinions of those who have bought very low mile cars and are now driving them regularly.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:45 PM
wildman738
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one? (jdog0411)

my 95 has 32k miles on it and it's hasn't caused any problems from not being a daily driver.

i have a friend that has a 92 with 5k miles on it! he jsut bought it with 5k on it few months back and its a great car so far....
Old 03-10-2004, 11:48 PM
jdog0411
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one? (wildman738)

Thanks for the info...I would probably be looking at cars with between 5,000-10,000 miles, in the 94-96 model year range.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:13 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if all those people who warn against buying very low mileage cars are talking from actual experience.
I bought low mile C1, C2 and C3 ( all in the teens) years ago and never had a problem even after many miles of use (sold the in the 90K area).
I recently bought a 95 with 17k miles and a 88 Z51 with 26k and both cars don't leave so much as a drop of oil (or anything else) when parked for weeks. They truly look, smell and drive like new cars. I did pass up on buying several different low mile cars because I felt they were either abused or neglected. A 96 CE with only 15k miles shouldn't have sludge in the overflow tank unless it was the original anti-freeze-but it did. I also did not want to buy this car, althought the paint looked perfect, because i was afraid maybe the oil was only changed once in 8 years. A well cared for car will be well cared for in all areas. If it is not well cared for in just one area I will pass on it. Be especially careful about any signs of rust on the gas tank fill pipe as there might have been a clogged drain and if water gets into the tank the rust formed will find its way past the filter to the injectors until the tank,fuel pump brackets and gas lines are replaced- a big expense.
A low mile car that is driven every 2 or 3 weeks even for only 20 miles a time will be fine assuming it is also well maintained. I would still replace ALL fluids with any low mile car I bought using Mobil 1 products in tranny, diff, and oil and I also use RedLine PS and G04 anti-freeze for the max. in corossion protection.
Extra low mile Corvettes CAN be the best buys around if you are still very careful. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:34 AM
94RAG
Instructor

In my experience with my own car, pay attention to the all the fluids especially the coolant and brake fluid. Because of the car's low mileage they will look "good" for mileage, but may all be old. Old contaminated brake fluid is dangerous. Get the cooling system serviced at a reputable shop that knows Corvettes. Find out who that is from your local Corvette club. The cooling system service for an LT1-4 is involved and cannot be done properly in 45 min. like the service writer at my local Chevrolet dealer said. Get ALL fluids and filters changed first thing. Inspect the weather striping very closely, and plan on buying new tires, and probably the serpentine belt. I would invest in the shop manuals, for my '94 they are a set of two books, they are the best $85.00 (got mine at Pomona Swap Meet) I've spent since I bought my Vette. After that, go by the good ol' owners manual.

Oh yeah, if you get an automatic, be aware that there is a factory bulletin (but no recall) on the front pump bushing in the 4L60E (?) for '95. Ask owner if it's been replaced already, if not, you may or may not have that problem. About $800.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:59 AM
MrWiggly
Racer

Location: Sunny Seaside Seabrook Texas (a whole 'nother country)

Last year I bot my '92 with 14300 miles on it. So far I've replace only the driver power seat track and the water pump (and of course fluids...). Tires, belt and weatherstripping were replaced in 2002 by former owner.

No problems - great car! Just like a brand new car! :yesnod:
Old 03-11-2004, 07:52 AM
DarkRed95
Racer

I bought a low mileage 95 with 23K on it a few years back. I don't use it as a daily driver and it so it does sit. I haven't had any problem but it was well maintained by the previous owner. I just did a Carfax on it and it came back just like it was suppose to. I took it for an emissions test and it passed with flying colors.
Here is what I think where I live these low mileage cars aren't driven in the winter for the most part. That's 4-5 months. Most likely they aren't driven to work. They usually are well maintained by people who treasure them. As long as they store them well and you go over the car I think you have the right car for what you want.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:15 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

If you don't mind paying the surcharge for the absence of miles, then there is nothing wrong with a lo-mi car.
If you WANT the lo-mi then what's the problem?? While they are not a 'bargain' per se, they have their own special appeal.
I would have a hard time driving a lo-mi Corvette if the low mileage was part of the appeal of the car....because at some point IT WON'T BE A LOW MILEAGE CAR ANY LONGER! :confused:
But if your intent is to DRIVE the sucker anyway, go for it and enjoy each and every minute you spend behind the wheel.

(PS. in my experience, seals do not 'dry out'...rubber ain't wet... nor do they 'rot' from lack of use. Rubber parts deteriorate from either heat cycling...which the lo-mi won't be affected by, or from exposure to UV, ozone, and IR rays....which will harm a car that's being driven or one that sits, more or less the same amount.)

Larry
code5coupe
:seeya
Old 03-11-2004, 11:49 AM
95AquaC4
Le Mans Master

I bought my '95 in 2000, with 18k on it. Runs like a champ.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:26 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one? (rocco16)

If you don't mind paying the surcharge for the absence of miles, then there is nothing wrong with a lo-mi car.
If you WANT the lo-mi then what's the problem?? While they are not a 'bargain' per se, they have their own special appeal.
:seeya
I think they can be a bargain IF you're planning on driving them...mileage doesn't usually cost that much...in my experience, it's usually less than 10cents per unused mile extra...so if a car has 50k miles less than a comparable car, you'd probably have to pay and extra 5k for it...that's pretty cheap mileage in the grand scheme of things...
Old 03-11-2004, 12:54 PM
uralman
Instructor

my 87 has 35000, no leaks, etc.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:50 PM
anjdog2003
Team Owner

Received 700 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'17

No.......I already got one.

:jester
Old 03-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Topless93
Racer

(PS. in my experience, seals do not 'dry out'...rubber ain't wet... nor do they 'rot' from lack of use. Rubber parts deteriorate from either heat cycling...which the lo-mi won't be affected by, or from exposure to UV, ozone, and IR rays....which will harm a car that's being driven or one that sits, more or less the same amount.)

Larry
code5coupe
:iagree:

My 93 has 6300 mi. on the clock and runs like a champ. Anyone who says the deteriorate is more than welcome to see mine and then accept that they ar full of shiznit.

P.S. mine doesnt even drip!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:01 PM
mid life 90
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one? (anjdog2003)

No.......I already got one.

:jester
:iagree: bought the 96 in Oct/03 with 4800 miles. did I pay more because of the low miles, maybe, maybe not. It's hard to find an Lt4 of any milage around here. Any problems, neads a new battery but I kinda expected that. The car still smells new, I think I got a good buy :thumbs: Now if I could only keep my wife from cruzin all over :boxing
Old 03-11-2004, 09:21 PM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Bought my 1990 in may last year with 60k it now has 104k can you sat daily driver
Took allot of maint updates but runs like a dream now.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one? (crash1mac)

I bought my 96 in Dec. with 38k, and (let's not jinx it!) has been bullet-proof. I love this car... Wouldn't trade it for anything. That's not to say I won't get another (more) car(s) in the future, but this one will definitely stay.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Steelevette
Heel & Toe

I would buy one. A used car is a risk no matter what the mileage. Just use your brain and try to put as many things in your favor as possible. Low mileage is only one item of several which you should try to put in your favor. :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one?

Old 03-11-2004, 11:31 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Of course!
:thumbs:
Old 03-11-2004, 11:48 PM
bobcal
Instructor

I DID buy one, in August of 2002. It is a '96 CE convert, LT4, red interior. The car had 6400 miles when I bought it. It now has 9800. I had the coolant drained, flushed, refilled, oil change/filter when I bought it, just as precautions. Replaced the original Delco battery last weekend. The car is used strictly for fun, in nice weather. Car has no issues; fast, tight, pristine in and out, no leaks, everything works,etc. So, in this case, buying the absolute best example I could find of the Corvette I wanted worked out. Yes, I paid more, but not extravagantly. To me, the almost new aspect of the car made it a rewarding investment, which pays me back in spades every time I drive it.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Bodhi
Pro

Default Re: Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one? (bobcal)

Bought my '91 with 27K miles on it. the first 18K were put on in 3 years.....the rest over the course of 9 years. (avg less than 1K a year)

Virtually EVERY seal had to be replace. Oil sending unit, intake, distributor, etc. The car was in the shop at least once a month the first year I owned it.

I will NEVER buy a low mileage 13 yr old car again :smash:

Quick Reply: Ultra Low mile C-4....would you buy one?