Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Zombie thread alert LOL... now I get it

I have the exact same symptoms (no play at 12 and 6, noticeable play at 3 and 9), thus my interest in this thread. I'm thinking outer tie rod ends but need to investigate further - I don't want to just throw parts at it, I want to actually see where the looseness is before ordering anything. The alignment is correct and the car drives OK but sometimes it wanders more than I think it should, seems like another symptom of loose tie rods.
A bump in the road leads to excessive oscillations at the steering wheel on my '96. My '95 stays rock solid on the same ride. It's either the tie rods or the lower ball joints from what I read. Hoping it's tie rods.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:04 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

I would be replacing the parts needed on the 96 ASAP, the more this happens causes more components to be stressed and wear faster, also not very safe. Tie rod ends are easy, even inners with the tool,anti-seeze on threads.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
I would be replacing the parts needed on the 96 ASAP, the more this happens causes more components to be stressed and wear faster, also not very safe. Tie rod ends are easy, even inners with the tool,anti-seeze on threads.
Copy that. Thanks! Lucy is parked until this is sorted. Polo Loco is my temp DD. I may just place an order for the outers with RockAuto just in case. My next chance to work on it is Wednesday.

The '95 (polo) only needs a u-joint and A/C and...

Old 06-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

If you have an alignment done, make sure that the shop torques the rear camber adjuster to 166 pounds, factory spec. Most shops are not aware of that and will either tighten them with wrenches or an impact. That will not work very well and your rear camber rods will eventually loosen up.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Looks like all the play is on the inner set. Don't see any movement on the outers.

I'll order the complete set for both sides.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Mission accomplished. Inner and outer both sides done and fresh alignment.

It was a bit of a sweat, but overall a pretty easy job even without a lift. I took my time, and had to return to the Autozone to get a second sized wrench end for the loaner tool. About four hours total, including beer breaks, for me.

Rock Auto parts ran about $60. Alignment was $50.

Only surprise was the nylon damper that wraps the inner T.R. I wasn't expecting it, but it was easy to deal with.

The car now tracks solid through the bumps at all speeds.

As an aside, I was shocked at the torque the tire shop in Laurens had put on the front lugs. It took my bouncing body weight on a breaker bar to loosen them. These were the same folks who installed the wheels backwards for the dealer, put the wrong size on the rear, and helpfully tore the exposed corners out of my rear hatch weather strip. Beware of "Superior Auto" in Laurens.

Quick Reply: Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks?