C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Bird in the hand" for 96 CE LT4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 09:27 PM
11sec"L"
Intermediate

11sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Bird in the hand" for 96 CE LT4?

I have noticed several of “96” LT4’s for sale lately.
I have been looking at their values with interest as I have an itch for a used Viper and need the $$$ from my Vette for a down payment.
With that said, I have had my Vette for less than 6 months, bought it from one of the local “Corvette Warehouse” type places.
Since I wanted one in excellent shape and didn’t really want to drive from lot to lot looking for one, I was willing to pay for the “right” car and still wanted a good deal.
I picked mine up somewhere in the $18’s (don’t recall what was car and what was tax/tag/license, ect.) and was please with the deal as I have seen them on this board before I started looking for about $25K-$29K.

Here is my question:
Should I sell my “96” CE LT4 for $15K ??? (take the “bird in the hand")
I have a written offer (hint) for $15K that is good as cash in the hand.
I fear the longer I sit on this car the less it will be worth.
I have put a few hundred $$$’s in it in small things like seat covers and K&N and crap like that, but resisted the temptation to mod it out as shortly after I got the car, I found that it wasn’t really what I wanted for either “race” or “show”.
I really want the Viper as the economy seems to force prices of otherwise “out of the reach” items like the Viper down to levels that may be obtainable with some finesse.

Up to this point (past month), I have just been content to leave it in the garage and “wait” on “the right buyer”, but I have had it listed for almost 1 month at the “wait for the right guy (like me)” to come along who will appreciate the car.($19Kish)
Frankly, I don’t know as it matters if the guy that buys your car is going to appreciate it or rag the crap out of it as long as you get paid…. That’s the point I have reached, the car is not being driven, costs me every month for full coverage insurance, gets garaged and detailed every time driven (since it has been for sale) while keeping me just “eying” Vipers and not “Buying”.
That seems to be the good and bad…keeps prices down for buyers…just sux’s to be a seller.

Is that a fair price given the trend of “slow moving” sales?
I found it odd that someone posted that they had only received a call from someone asking if the car was still for sale out of curiosity. The guy wasn’t interested in buying a car, just if the car had sold.
That too is the only call I have had in almost a month at the $19K mark.
I have the car listed in the local Auto Trader at $19,???. And just changed it for next week to $18.950.

It’s boils down to this for me:
The extra $3950 is worth it if I have to hold out another Two weeks to maybe three.
If I had to hold out a month more, I don’t think it would be worth it to me to keep missing “opportunity’s”
I don’t particularly care for the negotiation part of sales, especially if I am on the selling end..(LOL)
Question again:
Take the bird in the hand” or hold out for the “two in the bush”?
I too hate to “give my car away”, but it doesn’t seem too far out of line($$$ wise) in the current market?
Sorry for being long winded, just wanted to explain delimea :confused:

[Modified by 11sec"L", 8:31 PM 5/8/2004]
Old 05-09-2004, 10:28 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: "Bird in the hand" for 96 CE LT4? (11sec"L")

So is the car for sale here or are you just looking for an opinion?
Old 05-09-2004, 10:53 AM
11sec"L"
Intermediate

11sec

Default Re: "Bird in the hand" for 96 CE LT4? (Mr Mojo)

Just looking for opinions, thought this would be the best place to post it.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

OK, but I'm going to move it to "General", you will get more opinions there since here, nobody is allowed to comment on your asking price or offers.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Gatormaniac
Advanced

15k sounds like a very reasonable price for your LT-4 ( I'm assuming it's a coupe? ) depending on the mileage. I've seen them around the 12-14k range with 90k plus on the clock. If it's a low mileage 'vert, I'd be very, very interested... :cool:

Question; The Viper will sit around as much as the LT-4, no?
Old 05-09-2004, 05:16 PM
11sec"L"
Intermediate

11sec

Default Re: "Bird in the hand" for 96 CE LT4? (Gatormaniac)

Ya, the Viper will sit around as much or more than the Vette does, just will look cooler doing it...LOL
Ya, It is a coupe with 56K on the clock.
I really think their offer is fair...(considering I can just be done with the selling part)
If I don't have any luck from Autotrader here locally in the next few days I am going to give them the thumbs up so I can get moving on my other plans :D
Old 05-09-2004, 06:36 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$15K for an LT-4 Collector Edition in my opinion is way too low. I can understand the bird in the hand mentality, but the way this market is, if you sell yours for $15K, then everybody thinks they can buy one for $15K - that's the unfortunate nature of the collector car market. It works in the other side too, some yahoo spends $150K for a Superbird and all of a sudden everyone thinks theirs is worth that. Of course I am biased, and I am not even trying to hide it.

From what I see for sale and sold, $15K for an LT-4 (non-CE or non-GS) is even on the low side. I would think you should be able to get $19K out of the car if is is good shape - if not a touch more for the right buyer.. Then again, if you have the Viper itch, maybe the few extra grand may not be worth waiting for for you.

Just my $.02.

Get notified of new replies

To "Bird in the hand" for 96 CE LT4?

Quick Reply: "Bird in the hand" for 96 CE LT4?