Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Can burnouts fix unevenly worn tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can burnouts fix unevenly worn tires?

Sounds like common sense to me. If tires are cupped, etc from poor alignment, can a good long burnout round the tire again?
Old 07-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some tire shop can fix them if they are not to bad. They have something that will cut the tires down.

Last edited by Mr Mojo; 07-18-2004 at 10:02 AM. Reason: sig pic too large
Old 07-17-2004, 11:41 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes indeed it worked for me. My front tires began to show some cupping so I swapped em onto the rears and shortly they were fine.

I got the idea from my experience while working on tire uniformity machines at Akron Standard for a few years. These machines would spin a tire and, upon detecting non-uniformity, grind center or edges of the tire to improve uniformity.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Rich & Lisa_84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I done this after having flat spots on mine from an emergency stop ( BIG DEER ) It took some time and alot of burning, but it did seem to help. Boy I really miss those tires now.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:13 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter 94
Sounds like common sense to me. If tires are cupped, etc from poor alignment, can a good long burnout round the tire again?
Sounds pretty extreme to me.
As stated above, some shops have tire shavers that will true a tire up, but you lose a lot of rubber in the process.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 07-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Scooter 94
Drifting

I've heard they don't like to shave tires that have been on the road, due to the little bits of rock, etc the tires pick up could dull or ruin the shaving equipment.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:30 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It wouldnt make sense to true A new tire, so I suspect they mostly true used tires. We had the tires on our Sedan Deville Balanced, rotated and trued...the next day we found a massive bulge and had to get new good years.....bummer.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:18 AM
Powerdrive
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhhhhh...dude dont you know..Burnouts fix evrything...Now go shred your tires and buy new ones
Old 07-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Scooter 94
Drifting

Originally Posted by Powerdrive
Uhhhhh...dude dont you know..Burnouts fix evrything...Now go shred your tires and buy new ones
Now that's the answer I was looking for!

I think it was an SCCA article I read about shaving new tires. Road racers have it done to minimize heat. Even DOT-legal racing tires have tons of excess rubber (or they did back when I was into that).

As for truing, my '94 vette video mentions something about the plant "checking tires for uniformity." Don't know if that involves any shaving or not.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Midnite 88
Drifting

Doing a burnout will NOT fix a flat spotted tire.

I don't want to get in to the physics of it but, suffice it to say the suspension and the flex of the rubber will allow the pavement to grind the same amount of rubber off of the flat spot as the rest of the tire.

Mike.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:07 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but it is fun.....
Old 07-20-2004, 12:56 AM
LT4fun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51
It wouldnt make sense to true A new tire, so I suspect they mostly true used tires. We had the tires on our Sedan Deville Balanced, rotated and trued...the next day we found a massive bulge and had to get new good years.....bummer.
A little late with my reply; but when I worked at a Yokohama Tire manufacturing plant, they had TUO machines(Tire Uniformity Optimizer machines) as well.

Some new tires are ground by the TUO. The TUO inflates the tire to above normal pressures(I'm thinking at least 60 psi or so, maybe more) and puts a load on the tire as well and measures the uniformity. If the tire isn't within the uniformity spec., some rubber will be ground off of the tire by the TUO.

How much rubber ground off of the tire depended on how far off the tire is if it's off at all. Not all tires will have rubber ground off of them, only the ones that are off.

Different brands of tires made by the same manufacturer also have different specifications as to how much rubber is allowed to be ground off. Yokohama also makes Mohawk tires. More rubber was allowed to be removed from a Mohawk tire than a Yokohama tire and still be considered a "first" or non-blem tire.

Also, a Mohawk tire can be labled as a "blem" tire if the uniformity readings are way off and cannot be brought to within spec. without taking too much rubber off. A Yokohama tire on the other hand would never be sold as a "blem". If the tire could not be brought into specification without removing too much rubber, the tire was scrapped.

Also, not all blem tires are uniformity blems. Some are appearance blems, like when someone loads a whitewall tire in the tire curing machine upside down.

Anyway, that's they way it was when I worked at Yokohama 10 years ago. Knowing what I learned at Yokohama, I always inspect any tires I buy from any manufacturer for heavy grinds and any other possible defects as well.

Randall
Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 AM
fastd
Instructor

Do 20 donuts and call us in the morning!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 02:02 PM
90 Convertible
Pro

Originally Posted by comp
but it is fun.....
I'd have to agree
Old 07-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scooter 94
Yes it can help. But only to the extent that you'll need new (round) ones sooner! The more burnouts you do, the sooner you'll have new rubber.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
PSO3120
Pro

QUOTE=rocco16]Sounds pretty extreme to me.
As stated above, some shops have tire shavers that will true a tire up, but you lose a lot of rubber in the process.

Larry
code5coupe
[/QUOTE]

Sens them to me. I'll shave them

Get notified of new replies

To Can burnouts fix unevenly worn tires?

Quick Reply: Can burnouts fix unevenly worn tires?