C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Installing new door ajar switches

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 04:55 PM
qdawg41
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new door ajar switches

I need to install new door ajar switches on my 91 vert. Door I need to remove the door trim panels to do this?
Old 07-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not absolutely sure about your vert but to put in new switches in my 85 coupe it was an inside job. Panels had to come off.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:03 PM
arrow322
Drifting

I just did the door ajar switch on the drivers door and yes you do have to remove the door panel. Very easy though just watch out for a few things
1- the metal that the door ajar screws go into inside the door is loose so don't drop it inside the door
2- make sure you put the door panel screws back in the right places ( I was tired when I did mine and used a long screw by the door handle rolled up my window but couldn't get it back down. realized I used the wrong screw put a short one one like I should have and all ok
this took me all of 30 minutes to change and I'm not a mechanic by any means
good luck
Frank
Old 07-25-2004, 09:55 PM
qdawg41
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arrow322
I just did the door ajar switch on the drivers door and yes you do have to remove the door panel. Very easy though just watch out for a few things
1- the metal that the door ajar screws go into inside the door is loose so don't drop it inside the door
2- make sure you put the door panel screws back in the right places ( I was tired when I did mine and used a long screw by the door handle rolled up my window but couldn't get it back down. realized I used the wrong screw put a short one one like I should have and all ok
this took me all of 30 minutes to change and I'm not a mechanic by any means
good luck
Frank
Hey Frank,

Thanks for the advice...I removed all my screws from the door trim panel and panel would not come off. It appeared that the door handle was still attached, but I wasn't sure how to remove it...any additional advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:42 PM
arrow322
Drifting

Yeah there 3 screws in the door handle if I remember right. Remove the light by using a screw driver on the top and carefully prying it down then it pulls out there is a screw under there and for the sliding lock just pry it off also then there is a screw under it. If I remember right the 3rd screw is clearly visible
Frank
Old 07-26-2004, 10:55 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Originally Posted by arrow322
Yeah there 3 screws in the door handle if I remember right. Remove the light by using a screw driver on the top and carefully prying it down then it pulls out there is a screw under there and for the sliding lock just pry it off also then there is a screw under it. If I remember right the 3rd screw is clearly visible
Frank
Yep, the driver's side has 3 screws, one under the lamp assy, one visible by the handle and one that needs the slide lock mechanism cover removed first. The passenger side however doesn't have the screw under the slide lock but needs 2 screws removed in the base of the handle that you place your hand to pull the door shut.

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Installing new door ajar switches

Quick Reply: Installing new door ajar switches