C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

89 Digital Dash Lights (Bulbs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:00 PM
revets00
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 89 Digital Dash Lights (Bulbs)

This is concerning an 89 digital cluster lights. I had some bulbs out so I decided to replace them today. I read one article where all you can find to replace the factory ones are Stanley 7073 bulbs. No auto parts here have them. That bulb crossed over to a 882 bulb whick comes with the twist in base. They are over nine dollars each at O' Reilly's.
I only bought one and after I took the cluster apart I seen I needed more than one bulb. Seems like there may be about 5 of these larger bulbs and 3 smaller ones for the turn signals and high beam. Not sure what will work on them. I didn't replace them. When I went back to the auto parts I found some 194 Sylvania bulbs that worked in the twist in bases. Four of those bulbs were about 5 bucks. All of my cluster lights are now working. Guess someone will give reasons not to use these bulbs but so far so good.

You do not have to take the dash pad out to remove the cluster. Just remove the screws on that side you can raise it slightly to pull the cluster out. Before you pull the cluster out place some strips of duct tape on the flat area of your dash just below the cluster and maybe a strip across the steering column. This will keep that metal back on the cluster from scratching that area. Stick the tape to your clothes a few times so it won't be hard to remove. You have to remove the back metal cover on the cluster and then the next circuit panel in order to see the bulbs. Leave the speedodometer wire connected and just lay the panel over to the side after you remove the screws.
Hope this saves someone some time if they have the same problem
You find links to cluster repair sites that show photos of removal.
http://www.corvettedashclusterservic...terinfo89.html

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/1999...ash/dashp1.asp
Old 08-21-2004, 09:44 AM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you not sure what to get, you could always go to the dealer first for part numbers... then buy em somewhere affordable
Old 08-21-2004, 01:30 PM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default bulbs

I got the replacements at the local NAPA store. They were 882's I think. They came with the bulb in the socket; I simply removed the bulb from the socket and making sure the prongs were straight, plugged 'em right into the dash. I used latex gloves to ensure I didn't touch the halogen bulb, as the oils on your hands will cause the bulb to heat up enough to damage the cluster....
Old 08-21-2004, 09:43 PM
proemtpff
Instructor

Default 1986 dash.

I have a 86 and I've noticed that the speedmeter part of the dash is hard to see while the tach looks good. Do you think I need the dash refurbed or you think it just needs ned bulbs? If so who can and will do it cheap? Ecklers has outragous prices. I know I used to work there years ago.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the problem is a dim dash in broad daylight, i would most likely say your cluster needs service. If it is at night, i would blame it on the bulbs.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:20 AM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I pulled the bulbs from dash, they had been replaced with 194's so I used 194's again. Does this indicate that the bases have been changed, or can you plug a 194 into an 882 socket?
Old 08-22-2004, 11:38 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me there was something on the forum about those bulbs creating alot more heat, which in turn can cause problems. But try a search.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:19 AM
krgoodman
3rd Gear

Default 1985 dash is all orange and no numbers

ican't read a thing until i put on polarized sunglasses, then i see very bright orange numbers on a lighter orange background yet the graphs are very pale black and hard to see. do i need lcd's. i sure hope not. i have read other posts before my dash got so bad but no one has mentioned all orange background and numbers. if i could find some polarized static-cling film i would just use that until i got the lcd's if i need them.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 Digital Dash Lights (Bulbs)

Quick Reply: 89 Digital Dash Lights (Bulbs)