Orlando area Corvette Masters

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Orlando area Corvette Masters

Anyone in the Orlando area ever use Corvette Masters for service?

I'm just wondering how these folks are compared to some of the local dealers.
Thanks.

PS sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I looked in the regional area and didn't see any types of post like it.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette Masters

I purchased a 92 vert with 14,600 miles on it .The car had been sitting
for around 2 years would not start I had the car towed to Corvette Masters and they replaced fuel pump ,battery, flushed radiator ,replaced
headlight motors changed the oil and filter Checked the car out completely . Great job no problems and it has been 6 months.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I'll setup an appointment with them to have them give me an estimate on my oil leak that just started. I'm kind of getting tired of the dealer where they do a half-a.. job and then you have to go back again and again to get it right.

Again thanks.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:11 PM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well.. I took my car to them right after I moved to Orlando over 3 years ago. My brother-in-law did all the head/cam work on mine but I had to move before he had a chance to dial it in. It was running real rough when I took it to Robbie.

They got it dialed in but it cost me another $2k. I was happy with the work they did, but disappointed with the price and the fact they didn't really run anything by me prior to doing the work.

Mike

Edit: I always used Chris Petris after that at the Corvette Clinic, but he is only doing Corvette Fever projects at the moment.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:50 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Lani, it might be overkill but what about Mike Norris Motorsports? He's known for performance work but I thought I read somewhere a while back that he's also now doing routine stuff. He's only about 10-15 miles from you as the crow flies. He's had great reviews from a number of members here (Fuzzy Dice and vstella come to mind):

http://www.norris-motorsports.com/index.html
Old 08-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks John I'll give them a call and see what they would charge to estimate where the leak is and how much to repair. Took me a bit to figure out where they were, but that's not too far from the house.

Not sure if you saw my post in Tech about the oil leak. What is totally weird, I cleaned it up Sunday and then drove it around the block, then drove down to Kissimmee and back about 80 miles high speed. Checked it when I got back, checked it yesterday and again tonight and I don't see any more oil. I'm pretty much watching it everyday. I need to get it back up on the ramps to look and feel up toward the front edge of the pan (as best I can stupid brace is in the way).
I had it jacked up with the hydraulic jack about ten minutes ago and reached under and felt the forward part of the pan my fingers were dry.

Is it possible that driving just local for the last 4-6 weeks all 35-45 with no real running of the engine could cause this? Mechanically that just makes no sense. I'm perplexed by it.

I'm also wondering if I switch the oil weight from the 5-30W Mobil 1 to something a little heavier might help???? Still that makes no sense.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:12 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=93JetJocky]Thanks John I'll give them a call and see what they would charge to estimate where the leak is and how much to repair.

Could be intake manifold gasket, oil pan or your front seal.

I know a great mechanic over in Tampa Area. He sometimes travels to Orlando. You would probably have to drive over to his shop but he could save you $$ and he is one of the best mechanics out there.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks James but that is a little too far to drive. Whatever it ends up being it will probably be required to stay in the shop overnight at least and I would need to rent a car. So that must be considered. Of the folks who have responded, most have been mentioning the intake manifold. It would be nice to know if there is some kind of test to determine that. When you say front seal can you be more specific? Are you talking a bearing seal or a pan cover I'm not clear on that. From what I've been able to see I don't think its the oil pan but I could be wrong. I need to get it back up on the ramp to inspect it again to see what the state is after I wiped it all down and have driven it a bit now.
Thanks.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:05 AM
XQIZT
Drifting

i have heard that there is a dye that you can put in the oil and it glows under black light (or something ) that should pinpoint your problem and then you can be a bit more informed when u bring it in for service. i think on your year the oil pan gasket it multiple parts too. and its really not TOO hard to change any of the gaskets/seals you mentioned (with enough patience).
Old 08-25-2004, 11:54 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

I'm thinking its your intake manifold - they are notorius for leaking. You should be able to see where it is leaking by looking at the manifold. Could however also be timing cover or bearing - neither are cheap, if its not bad and its not affecting your OPTI you just may want to leave it unless you want to whip out some greenbacks.

Yes, if you do the intake manifold you want to use the new improved glue and you want the car to dry for 24 hours. That is the biggest mistake people make. My mechanic did mine on my 92 and I never heard from it again in about 60,000 miles and then I sold the car. It can be done in your garage and its a pretty easy job. I can check with my mechanic and see if he is interested if you want me too. He comes to Orlando from time to time and he could knock it out one afternoon if its the intake manifold - the others would really require a lift.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 08-25-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 AM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 93JetJocky
Thanks John I'll give them a call and see what they would charge to estimate where the leak is and how much to repair...
I just checked the web site and it looks like they can fix that oil leak for about $12K but they also throw in a 383 stroker as part of the deal...
Old 08-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Leave it to John, you playing any local comedy clubs????

On the Vin P engine this year its a one piece gasket for the oil pan. It just doesn't appear to be coming from there though. I did find a lot of greasy dirt that I wiped down the best I could reaching up there more around the front end of the engine. But with any fluid like this it can travel from above and not be obvious at first.

I'd be interested in that additive that shows up under black light. Suppose I could try a search here to see if I can find info on that. Do you have to cycle the oil afterwards?

Depending on the weather this evening I may try to get it back up on the ramps and take another look to see what has developed since Sunday. So far I can't see any but its such low clearance and a flashlight is rather limiting.

I read through the procedure to change the intake manifold gasket but gee whiz talk about a lot of disassembly. I'm fairly confident I could do it, just that if something screws up then I'm out transportation. If I pay someone, I can most likely get a rental car while its in for service. I sent Corvette Masters an email but haven't heard back yet. Tonight I'm also going to re-check the torque on the valve covers just to be sure. I wish I could get a good look at the timing cover plate. I wonder how a shop can determine what would be leaking if I can't see in there?

I don't want to get ripped off in this process so I'm proceeding cautiously. I'd rather be more informed. This is definitely becoming quite depressing, as much money as I continue to sink into the car it seems to never end. Worst than a boat. Its probably all my fault, I said in an email to my sister the other day my list was getting short... that must have done it.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

sent you an email
Old 08-26-2004, 01:16 PM
BlackBeast2
Pro

I have the same oil leak situation. It has made me frusterated enough lately to make me want to trade the vette. It has ruined the clutch and now she will barely pull away from a stoplight. I'm looking at a lot of money and a lot of work. I am having to shop for a second car while this thing will have to sit on stands in my garage as I further pursue becoming a self taught LT1 fixer. I can only imagine the bill a repair shop would charge to fix both the oil leaks, replace the clutch, resurface the flywheel, and oh, while we're in there might as well replace the oil soaked opti and change to an electric water pump cause those will be going out soon too.

If your oil leak hasn't started killing your clutch yet, it will, so fix them soon.

BTW: I used Corvette Masters when my radiator crapped out on vacation. They came through in a pinch and the service was great.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the heads up. Mine is an automatic, and the leak is minor right now. Which is making it difficult to chase. I will keep you posted what happens and what we find out. I'm also working with James (xlr8nflorida) off forum to see what we can do.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Holy 12 year old thread Batman!!!

Do you think the OP got his oil leak fixed?

Last edited by Raidmagic; 05-12-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Orlando area Corvette Masters

Quick Reply: Orlando area Corvette Masters