Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

!I've been a bad boy! Wrecked it !

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:41 PM
fatphatboy88
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does anybody have any information on who makes cowl induction hoods for my C4 vette and the prices? Which would you advise to put on as the bumper, a fiberglass repro or GM, or a polyurethane repro or gm?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:51 PM
vetteweiser
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'13- '14
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Preacher just got a new hood for his C4. It was cheaper than factory and has a kick *** look to it. You may want to PM him to see where he got it from or just do a search ( ) on his name to see if anything comes up. Are you going to take the insurance route or just bite the bullet and pay out of pocket (personally, i'd go out of pocket, insurance rates will kill you otherwise)
Old 09-20-2004, 12:09 AM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this guy might have all you need http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34204
another stock one here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33646

i dont recall what the raised ones were running but it seems like they were 1200 bucks or so.

vetteweiser raise an excellent point on the insurance.but you may take a hit regardless since you probably got a ticket for rear ending the other car.you should check into it.at your age with an accident you might find yourself uninsurable in a vette.that would be a drag.

Last edited by mitymek; 09-20-2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:38 AM
EPiC Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatphatboy88
So does anybody have any information on who makes cowl induction hoods for my C4 vette and the prices? Which would you advise to put on as the bumper, a fiberglass repro or GM, or a polyurethane repro or gm?
I might be jumping on a soapbox here, but didn't you say in the original post that your brakes probably weren't the best, or something like that? If it were me, I'd be looking at things like improving brakes and sticking with stock replacement items (normal hood, normal bumper, etc.), then looking at a good paint job. Maybe the whole car. JMHO. FWIW.

I've got a polyurethane front bumper and a good paint job. You can tell it's PU 'cause of the "waves" where it lines up with the hood. If you're looking. If a person's looking at my car that doesn't really know 'vettes, they can't tell 'cause I also have a pretty good paint job.

All's I'm saying is... cowl hoods are cool, air dams are cool, and if you have enough money & time to do it right, cool! But whaddya gonna end up with? A Total Package? Or a spliced-together hand-me-down car that's 3 different colors of black (or red, or blue, or whatever) that's got a cool hood and marginal brakes?

Okay, I'm putting the soapbox away!

Rock On!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Getzen88
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SilverBeast
Not necessarily 500K miles, but at least 20 years old and able to compose a sentence properly. Sure was hard to read that with NO caps and little punctuation.
i bought my vette when i was 18 and right out of basic training. i resent that 20 year old comment.

Mike
Old 09-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with earlier posts about replacing body parts with stock OE items. I would strongly discourage getting aftermarket body crap.

When I was 16, I didn't have the $$ to even own a car, no less a corvette.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:42 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only other nicer car in hte parkin lot then mine was a 2000 monte carlo that had over 15k put in it for body kit, system, exhaust, dvd, neons, strobes, 20" rims , custom paint job and even more. but i was number 2 at school, now im nothing!
Sounds to me like you had a nicer car, a monte carlo with 20's and neons sounds pretty ghey to me, a 2000 monte with over 15k in after market put into it is ghey.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:56 PM
fatphatboy88
Cruising

Well guys, I got the quote from the same body shop that fixed the vette when my sister wrecked it. He couldnt find any hoods on the eastcoast that were in good condition for a reasonable price. So he gave me a quote for brand new everything which came out to be $5068! He told me that if the cost of the repairs goes over 7500 then he is required by the insurance company to total the vette. We dont know if anything is messed up under the hood cause we couldnt get it open. It was pushed back a good half an inch or an inch. So if there is more then 2500 dollars of damage done under the hood then the vette is totaled but i doubt there is any serious damage under the hood. Thanks for all the help yall have been.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:25 AM
JCD
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Getzen88
i bought my vette when i was 18 and right out of basic training. i resent that 20 year old comment.

Mike
He was making a generalization. It's a fact that younger drivers get in more accidents. Older drivers view that statistic as a lack of respect for the reponsibility of driving.

You owned a vette when you were a teenager, you didn't get in a wreck, that means you are exempt from the generalization (and that you are more responsible). That does not change the fact that more corvettes are totaled by teenagers than any other age group.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:44 AM
EPiC Vette
Drifting

... He told me that if the cost of the repairs goes over 7500 then he is required by the insurance company to total the vette. ...but i doubt there is any serious damage under the hood. Thanks for all the help yall have been.
For all my ranting before, I REALLY hope they don't total it.

Man... Ida KILLED for a 'vette in High School!!!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:42 PM
fatphatboy88
Cruising

Well guys I was lucky not to get a ticket but since the vette had 5k of damage, I get to be the proud owner of 3 insurance points now! I was registered on my v6 1990 Camaro which was $1800 a year just for liability wihtout collision, now with my 3 new points, it is at least 2800 a year for liability and no collision on the same car. Thats triple what the Camaro is worth for insurance every year. I have learned my lesson the hard way, trust me! i got to pay all that too! I want to sell my Camaro and get me an old beater import 4cyl 2 wheel drive. So my insurance will go down. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my dad is kicking me off his insurance policy and I have to get my own insurance.

And I am kinda glad I dont have to drive the vette anymore to tell the truth, because I always worried about people keyying it or kicking it or other mishaps in the parking lot. My school has had ALOT of keyyings and kicking of doors and breaking of windows on the nicer cars because people just get jealous and the school offers no protection at all, even though we pay 45 bucks just to be able to park in it.

Last edited by fatphatboy88; 09-21-2004 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: !I've been a bad boy! Wrecked it !