Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What is the best C4 manual for repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:47 PM
ermedic
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best C4 manual for repair?

I am looking to do some basic repair to my 1996. Does anyone have any suggestions to what the best manual would be?

Years ago when I was in High School, we lived by Chilton's. I don't even know if those things are still in print.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ermedic
I am looking to do some basic repair to my 1996. Does anyone have any suggestions to what the best manual would be?

Years ago when I was in High School, we lived by Chilton's. I don't even know if those things are still in print.
You will find (almost unanimously) that the GM Factory Service Manuals are *the* definitive source for diagnostics and repair. They are 2-book sets, and they're year specific. You will find them least expensively on eBay, but be prepared to bid because the demand for them is high. There's a shop near me that sells them new for around $150ish, so that should give you an idea of what kind of deal you may or may not be getting on eBay. Oh, and in your search, you may see a single GM service manual with a white cover - avoid it like the plague... Just pony up and get the red ones...

As for Chilton's/Haynes Manuals, yeah, they're still around - a lot of folks have 'em as well, but they can come nowhere near the detail thoroughness of the GM Manuals...

Best of luck!
Old 09-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The red cover factory manuals put out by Helms are the best ones. They are thick and very detailed. YOu an order them online at www.helminc.com, usually cheaper then buying them from a third party.

If you can find them on Ebay - even better.

The Helms manuals are the dealer service manuals.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:19 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Get the Helm
Old 09-21-2004, 04:49 PM
VFR750
Advanced

Originally Posted by Perfusion
Oh, and in your search, you may see a single GM service manual with a white cover - avoid it like the plague... Just pony up and get the red ones...
What's the matter with the white ones?

Charlie
Old 09-21-2004, 04:58 PM
tempest
Burning Brakes

Helm + Corvetteforum = best maintenance/repair information
Old 09-21-2004, 05:39 PM
ermedic
Cruising

Originally Posted by VFR750
What's the matter with the white ones?

Charlie

Charlie, I have gotten quite a bit of info since I posted this. Turns out the white ones were preliminary releases and full of mistakes that were later corrected by the official release.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:03 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Note: the manuals sold by Helm are the official GM Service Manuals. I remember paying about $125 for the set directly from Helm, Inc.
They are worth the money.
Not only are they a service manual par excelance', but they contain a wealth of reference material as well, with things like the options codes, GM part numbers for fluids, the best tire balancing machines to use, the best disc resurfacing machines to look for, etc.

Larry
Old 09-21-2004, 06:44 PM
greenvette95
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by code5coupe
Note: the manuals sold by Helm are the official GM Service Manuals. I remember paying about $125 for the set directly from Helm, Inc.
They are worth the money.
Not only are they a service manual par excelance', but they contain a wealth of reference material as well, with things like the options codes, GM part numbers for fluids, the best tire balancing machines to use, the best disc resurfacing machines to look for, etc.

Larry
Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Charlie, I have gotten quite a bit of info since I posted this. Turns out the white ones were preliminary releases and full of mistakes that were later corrected by the official release.
They were suppliments to the previous year manuals containing the new model year changes until the full versions were released. They are therefore very incomplete as well, unless you also have the previous year's manuals. The Helms books are obviously as good as you'll get. That being said, once I've done a procedure per the factory manual, I often figure out that they wasted a bunch of my time removing unnecessary parts, etc. and can figure an easier way to do it the next time. The antenna replacement comes immediately to mind.....

Let me add, I've seen better factory manuals than GM's but, I've seen a hell of a lot worse too.

Last edited by Corvette Kid; 09-21-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:54 PM
ermedic
Cruising

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC

Let me add, I've seen better factory manuals than GM's but, I've seen a hell of a lot worse too.
So if you have seen better....what do you recommend?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:22 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Turns out the white ones were preliminary releases and full of mistakes that were later corrected by the official release.
Not that there aren't some whoopers in the final version.

I spent at least 15 mins looking for that 2nd coolant bleed screw on my 96...Ha, ha.

I have the FSM and the cheapy Haynes manual from AutoZone. I find there's lot's of streetwise info in the Haynes manual, the FSM calls for big $$ tools when the Haynes manual shows how to do it on the cheap.

Eric
Old 09-21-2004, 09:34 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Get the helms!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:13 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Perfusion
You will find (almost unanimously) that the GM Factory Service Manuals are *the* definitive source for diagnostics and repair. They are 2-book sets, and they're year specific. You will find them least expensively on eBay, but be prepared to bid because the demand for them is high. There's a shop near me that sells them new for around $150ish, so that should give you an idea of what kind of deal you may or may not be getting on eBay. Oh, and in your search, you may see a single GM service manual with a white cover - avoid it like the plague... Just pony up and get the red ones...

As for Chilton's/Haynes Manuals, yeah, they're still around - a lot of folks have 'em as well, but they can come nowhere near the detail thoroughness of the GM Manuals...

Best of luck!
Yeah: I got the white cover one and its . I get more info from the Chiltons manual than that one
Old 09-21-2004, 10:45 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

So if you have seen better....what do you recommend?
For clarification, I was speaking of manuals in general. The Helms are as good as it gets for Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best C4 manual for repair?

Quick Reply: What is the best C4 manual for repair?