Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Can you remove the Resonator/Middle Muffler, are there any effects?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:10 AM
JJ77
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you remove the Resonator/Middle Muffler, are there any effects?

I have a 1996 Vette and I have after market Chambered Elimintaor pipes on my Corvette.

I'm thinking about removing the middle muffler/resonator to make it louder and was wonder what the effects would be in sound, interior noise, performance and computer issues, O2 sensor , if I remove the resonator?

If I remove the resonator do I replace it with a stright pipe, X pipe or what?

Last edited by JJ77; 11-02-2004 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:25 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JJ77,

Been there - Done that, Way to loud!! I have a 94 vert and I did the x-pipe in place of the resonator along with muffler elims and the sound and resonance was way to much for me. I had to put the resonator back on. If you decide you want to try it let me know, I still have the x-pipe. Pics avaliable if interested. $50 bucks plus shipping!

Later Zane
Old 11-02-2004, 10:32 PM
JJ77
Instructor

Zane,

How loud is your vette with the resonator and muffler elims on?

I have the Chambered Elims and the resenator on and it's not very loud and I have no interior noise.

I would really like a louder deeper sound but don't want the interior noise to be so much the that you can't talk over it.

With the resonator off did you have interior noise at all speeds and RPM's.

I wonder how much difference there is between muffler eliminators and Chamberered Eliminators when it comes to interior sound?

Thanks,
JJ
Old 11-02-2004, 10:37 PM
94Polo6Speed
Burning Brakes

You won't get deeper if you remove the resonator. Just louder. Deeper sound involves mufflers.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:49 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Forget about tinkering with the stock system....get yourself the chambered cat-back system. The source: www.sweet-thunder.com

This has the deep tone ( a nice amount of base to it) that you are after. No resonator and no mufflers.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 94redrag
JJ77,

Been there - Done that, Way to loud!! I have a 94 vert and I did the x-pipe in place of the resonator along with muffler elims and the sound and resonance was way to much for me. I had to put the resonator back on. If you decide you want to try it let me know, I still have the x-pipe. Pics avaliable if interested. $50 bucks plus shipping!

Later Zane
Redrag
Don't want to hyjack the thread but can I ask a few questions on your x pipe

Is the pipe stainless and what size pipe is it made out of?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:55 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JJ77
Zane,

How loud is your vette with the resonator and muffler elims on?

I have the Chambered Elims and the resenator on and it's not very loud and I have no interior noise.

I would really like a louder deeper sound but don't want the interior noise to be so much the that you can't talk over it.

With the resonator off did you have interior noise at all speeds and RPM's.

I wonder how much difference there is between muffler eliminators and Chamberered Eliminators when it comes to interior sound?

Thanks,
JJ
JJ,
My muffler elims are just basically straight pipe, not chambered at all. I have a vert so I get some interior noise with the resonator and the elims, but not to loud that you can't talk to the other half or listen to the radio. Of course at WOT, thats a different story. I've had several people, when I'm passing them or their following me, say that my car sounds great. As has been said before, it all depends on what you want and what your taste are. Hope this helps, Later Zane
Old 11-03-2004, 05:58 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ruby6spd
Redrag
Don't want to hyjack the thread but can I ask a few questions on your x pipe

Is the pipe stainless and what size pipe is it made out of?
Ruby, Not sure what it was made out of, but its 2 1/4 dia. pipe.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:04 PM
JJ77
Instructor

Originally Posted by 94redrag
JJ,
I have a vert so I get some interior noise with the resonator and the elims, but not to loud that you can't talk to the other half or listen to the radio. Later Zane

Zane, is a vert, a convertible? If so, I would have assumed a person would get less interior noise with a convertible not more?

JJ
Old 11-03-2004, 06:10 PM
JJ77
Instructor

[QUOTE=rubyred93]Forget about tinkering with the stock system....get yourself the chambered cat-back system. The source: www.sweet-thunder.com

I just put on the Chambered Eliminator pipes that are made by Allens Corvette Exhaust on Monday.

http://www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com/

I probably should have put on a cat back system, but I didn't. The sound of Allens Chambered Elims is very good, but not very loud and I would like it louder.

I left my resonator on and I'm now thinking about taking it off. But, I'm wondering if I take off the resonator will I have a lot of interior noise or will it be just louder all around?

Last edited by JJ77; 11-03-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:15 PM
JJ77
Instructor

What does a resonator do?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:35 PM
FX GS
Pro

What does a resonator do?
Adds un-needed weight to your car.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:51 PM
94redrag
Burning Brakes

Zane, is a vert, a convertible? If so, I would have assumed a person would get less interior noise with a convertible not more?

JJ
JJ,

Yes, a vert is a convertible. I've ridden in coupes and convertibles and the verts seem to have more interior noise. I'm guessing its the same noise confined into an even smaller space. Just speaking from personal experience. Zane
Old 12-14-2015, 05:45 AM
j88vert
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
Thanks.
Pardon the ignorance, but which is the resonator?
I thought the middle muffler was the catalytic converter.
Any pictures so I know what I'm looking for?
So maybe I'm loud because my resonator is shot too?
Any opinions on the No-Drone Muffler from Corvette Central?
thanks.
Jay.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:58 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by j88vert
Hi guys,
Thanks.
thanks.
Jay.
It is the long, oval section positioned at the centerline of the car. It is about 1.5-2 feet long, and has two inlets and two outlets.

The purpose is to absorb as well as cancel the "drone" frequencies occurring between 1800 to 2200 specifically.

Depending on the year, some of them are a bit restrictive. If possible, I'd recommend the LT4 resonator (1996) as they have minimum restriction.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by j88vert
Hi guys,
Thanks.
thanks.
Jay.
Looking at your "other thread" you understand exactly how your '88 exhaust "if stock" is constructed. You don't have a resonator }if stock".
Old 12-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have a 1996 Vette and I have after market Chambered Elimintaor pipes on my Corvette.

I'm thinking about removing the middle muffler/resonator to make it louder and was wonder what the effects would be in sound, interior noise, performance and computer issues, O2 sensor , if I remove the resonator?

If I remove the resonator do I replace it with a stright pipe, X pipe or what?
Yes that will make it louder (not necessarily better).
The sound effect is that you are going to get is a lot of resonance inside the cabin.
This will offer NO improvement in performance on your 96 C4

Do you want a deeper sound? do you want more torque under the HP curve? ........... then get yourself a set of long tube headers and retain your stock cat back. It will sound fantastic.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you remove the Resonator/Middle Muffler, are there any effects?

Old 12-14-2015, 05:19 PM
wingnut96lt4
Intermediate

Default Replacing the resonator

I I replaced the mufflers with eliminators and left the resonator the sound is just great. Inside is fine my radio adjusts to the noise. I have an LT4 so it sounds different I was thinking of removing it also, changed my mind it is all welded big $$$$$. Leave it.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
The purpose is to absorb as well as cancel the "drone" frequencies occurring between 1800 to 2200 specifically.
My car doesn't have one (LT headers, X-pipe, then cats, then rear mufflers) and it does indeed drone in this speed range. And it's loud. That said, the x-pipe does sound really good in place of the resonators. But if your main purpose is to street drive, I think you'll find it to be pretty loud, and that drone is right where you spend a lot of time driving. I'm actually contemplating building a second center section to my exhaust that would add some sort of resonator back in. So the advice others are giving is good.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:02 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
I'm actually contemplating building a second center section to my exhaust that would add some sort of resonator back in. So the advice others are giving is good.
Always it is the quest for performance (first!) followed by at least mitigating the drone to "tolerable" levels.

No question that the Corsa cat-back eliminates drone: it does. And, there is some debate as to which results in the best peak power on the dyno; the Corsa or the modified Billy Boat (or similar) design?

Cost...isn't the only detractor (for me) when it comes to the Corsa. Although the drone is gone, the sound is..."tinny" (to me).

Two highly respected "gurus" of the ZR-1 community are on opposite sides of the HP debate: Corsa or the 3" 'home-brew' hybrid. Both base their independent tests on dyno "before and after" results, and it may well boil down to different dynos on different days...I dunno.

Because the ultimate performance level of the two system is as yet a matter of debate, clearly there is no debate when it comes to CO$T: the Corsa IS PRICY.

The flip-side is the fabrication route. Removing the resonator and replacing it with the (Stainless Works) "X" pipe and mufflers of choice (the DynaMax 17228s, for example). But, the key to mitigating the drone is installing the exhaust gates system, either from a C6 Z06 (installed on one of the twin muffler outlets), or electric cut-outs prior to the mufflers. This technique has resulted in max HP at WOT (gates open) and w/o the drone (gates closed) while cursing.
Note: Headers (on both systems) is a 'given'.
The sound is distinctly different between the Corsa and the fabricated system (briefly described). Which is "better" is a matter of taste. But, to my ear, I'd summarize the sound this way:

• Corsa:

NO drone. Has a high pitch note in the WOT roar - perhaps the residual after the low frequency notes have been eliminated? Simple, "bolt-on" installation and you're done!

• Fabricated (as described):

Effectively mitigated drone - up to 100% to some ears; perhaps not as good as Corsa's drone mitigation. However, those with the system report that normal conversations are possible with the windows up while cruising at highway speeds. Has those "deep, throaty" V8 notes at idle and above (no "tinny" sound ever) across the rpm range and roars at WOT.

I'm finishing up the fabricated route. I've the DynaMax 17228s and the gates or cut-outs left to do (winter project). I currently am using some Magnaflow mufflers. However, they choke down from the 3" to approx 2-1/2" inlet. This muffler appears to be costing me between 5 to 10 hp at the wheels. (I'm at 432 rwhp now, looking for 440-445 by changing mufflers and opening the stock TB from 58mm to 63mm.)

New stuff comes on the market all the time. (And, it is amazing how incestuous exhaust makers are!) I've read about some muffler variations (Magnaflow, in particular) to the fabrication route, but time slips talk and BS walks, when it comes to performance. Muffler makers, among other manufactures, seldom publish credible "before and after" data - you know what I'm talking about. So, I'm not prepared to discuss the many of them. I'll leave that to those that have actually tried some other 'remedies'.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-17-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: glitch...

Quick Reply: Can you remove the Resonator/Middle Muffler, are there any effects?