C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

wet floor 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 02:28 PM
sixxpack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wet floor 2

I posted a thread on 12/05/04 about a wet floor on a 96 CE. I had 49 veiws and NO REPLIES. I think something was wrong with the thread, because EVERYONE on here seems very freindly and helpful. So that said I will re ask my oqestion. After washing my baby, I noticed water accumulated on the right hood catch and hood bracket. also a lot of water on the right floor. Water dripping frpm the r fender. I think a drain is plugged, but I can't locate it. Please help! Thanks.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:35 PM
MinnesotaWhite
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sixxpack
I posted a thread on 12/05/04 about a wet floor on a 96 CE. I had 49 veiws and NO REPLIES. I think something was wrong with the thread, because EVERYONE on here seems very freindly and helpful. So that said I will re ask my oqestion. After washing my baby, I noticed water accumulated on the right hood catch and hood bracket. also a lot of water on the right floor. Water dripping frpm the r fender. I think a drain is plugged, but I can't locate it. Please help! Thanks.
I know the hood latch drain hole is tiny...and can be plugged really easily. Feel around the bottom of the latch and find the hole and stick a piece of wire up there or blast out the latch with a pressure washer (then re-grease it of course).

As far as an interior leak...most likely it's dripping from the roof. Stick a person inside the car and wash it...see where it's dripping...C4's leak...it's that simple. If your weather stripping is in bad shape, it may pour in there...
Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Its hard to say about water leaks. Keep searching you will find it. Do you hand wash or power car wash. Check your weather stripping. Good Luck. I hardly ever drive mine in the rain.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:42 PM
jrp
Le Mans Master

The 49 viewers probably didn't know the answer. I don't either, but can brainstorm:

There are aftermarket drain kits that can be installed in the hood latch area, so water collecting there is normal (*) and probably not the source of your leak.

Maybe check out the weatherstripping at the front edge of your door and windshield. Is the carpet on the doorsills also wet, or is it only on the floor? I'm not knowledgeable enough to think of any entry points under or behind the dash, so hopefully others will chime in for you.

You may want to clarify what you meant by "Water dripping from the r fender."

(*) After reading MinnesotaWhite's reply, "very common" may be better words to use than "normal". I did not know that there was a drain hole to begin with.

Last edited by jrp; 12-07-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:55 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sixpack, just from my experience with water leaks. Most common, and mine still leaks here, is from the windshield gasket. Another place mine did leak is from the windshield at the metal frame. I used a small line of silicone to seal both sides and that stoped one lesk. On both sumps at the base of the windshield, there are drains. ( mine is an 88 and I guess yours is the same ) On the drivers side, look behind the battery and you can see a rubber hose leading to the ground. Just pour water in the sump on that side and you should see water running out. If not, just pull up on the hose and clean it our. THe end is what they call a duck bill, just a slit in the hose at the end. On the passenger side, you can't see the drain. There is one, and it drains out just behind the gill panel. Dump some water in the sump and see if it drains. If this is stopped up, try a good strong stream from a hose into the sump, it may flush out the stoppage. Or, as someone said, get into the car with a good flash light and have someone hose down the car and see if the leak shows. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:04 PM
redvtt
Team Owner

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just found a big leak on the passenger side up near the roof/windshield area while at the carwash. There was a river pouring out of the seal and down the windshield post trim (between the trim & post I could see thru a crack the soapy water running in a stream). From there it dripped/roared down the door panel and into my R.F. speaker.
I then understood why it sounded so fuzzy lately. The entire passenger floor area was soaked.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:11 PM
jrp
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redvtt
I just found a big leak on the passenger side up near the roof/windshield area while at the carwash. There was a river pouring out of the seal and down the windshield post trim (between the trim & post I could see thru a crack the soapy water running in a stream). From there it dripped/roared down the door panel and into my R.F. speaker.
I then understood why it sounded so fuzzy lately. The entire passenger floor area was soaked.
This is why I'm afraid to take my top off. I have no leaks (knock on wood), and suspect that doing so would move the weatherstrip around enough to start one. Good thing I prefer the cozy feeling of a roof over my head.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:06 PM
sixxpack
Intermediate

Default wet floor 2

thanks everone for the info. it may be comming from the roof. carpet was SOAKED with approx. 1/2" of H2o. it just started to leak. have not had any other problems. I notice 2 small cracks on the gasket at the right corner of the roof. maybe it's the problem. I knew you all were a bunch of great people!!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:59 AM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leaks can come from anywhere and the only way to find them is to have someone spray a garden hose on the car while you inspect it. The water under the hood latch is a seperate issue then your interior leak. half inch of water seems like an offal lot to be coming from weather stripping without you seeing and knowing. If i were you id first check the drain hoses. if the drain hoses get clogged, the water overflows into the vents and into the passenger side carpet.

Drain hoses are located:
1: under the hood between the battery and the firewall.
2&3: past the speakers, towards under the dash, on either side of the car

If you cant find em, let me know and ill take a picture tomorrow of where the drain hoses are.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way I have found to find leaks is with soapy water. When you get ready to wash the car, agitate a bucket of soapy water until it's good and foamy. Turn the ignition on (don't have to start it) and put the fan on high, roll up the windows and close the doors (make sure they are unlocked). Use a small cup to pour the wash water around the windshield and side windows. It should start to bubble were the air is getting out (were the water is getting in). Spray glass cleaner works good as well.

Get notified of new replies

To wet floor 2

Quick Reply: wet floor 2