C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Pros and cons of auto vs 6spd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 11:07 PM
SeventyGTX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of auto vs 6spd?

I am in the process of looking at C4s. Are the 6 speeds less reliable than the ATs? I mentioned on the Mopar board that I was in the market for a C4 and one guy said he has one with 18K on it..............with a broken flywheel. Not saying all flywheels are going to break, but is this common with the dual mass flywheel? Also, I have seen a couple of cars on the net with relatively low (50k) miles on them, with rebuilt 6spds. Are these isolated instances? I havent read a whole lot about the automatics, so assume they hold up well. I would definetely prefer a manual, but not if its a major PITA. Please advise a noob.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:19 PM
richdwyer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a stick and have had no problems with it. Like any other car, it depends on how well it was maintained and whether or not it was beat. If you are looking for a stick, go with a 1989 or newer. They have a true 6speed transmission. Much more durable than the 4+3 trans that it replaced. Good luck with your search. You may want to check in the c4s for sale section here on the forum. Forum members tend to take good care of their vettes and I'm sure others will chime in on tips to look for.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:21 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My '95 has 108k miles. I have put 70k of that on it. As far as I know it is the original clutch. I think that you really have to beat it to break it. I run mine on road racing tracks and drive in stop and go traffic as a daily driver. I am amazed the clutch has lasted this long. (damn, now that I sais it I am F...d).

If you beat it it will break. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. As far as I know, the autos are bullet proof also. But time and miles will take their toll.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:22 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Mine has 85k on it, replaced the clutch at 75k and I'm pretty sure that's the only tranny service that has ever been done to it. It runs great with no transmission or clutch problems.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:24 PM
belmor
Safety Car

I have had two of each in C4's both are pretty much bulletproof if properly maintained so it is really just a matter of personal preference
Good Luck finding your car!
~B~
Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Glasman66
Drifting

There is no doubt about it, a six speed is the way to go. They are the most fun to drive and not only is the tranny reliable, all six speeds come with a DANA 44 rearend, now those are bullet proof and you can put in 4.10 gears and get a whole lot more out of your car cheap.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:31 PM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

86K on mine with no problems, none that I can tell anyway. The way it feels I'm sure it would go 100K or more no problem. I may replace it this spring though just because I'm ****.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:44 PM
SeventyGTX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glasman66
There is no doubt about it, a six speed is the way to go. They are the most fun to drive and not only is the tranny reliable, all six speeds come with a DANA 44 rearend, now those are bullet proof and you can put in 4.10 gears and get a whole lot more out of your car cheap.
Gawd, I love this board! You guys give nothing but usefull information.........none of the "I heard the 6 speed sucks" type of answers. I didnt realize the manuals came with a beefier rearend, much like the old Mopars..............if it was a big block and a 4 speed, it had a Dana 60.
Looks like its a 6 speed for sure.

BTW richdwyer, I did check out the for sale section of this board, and even put in a WTB ad.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:38 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

123k on the original 700r-Still works. At one point AAmco supposedly replaced the (governor?I can't think-its late) to adjust shift points.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:43 AM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either is good performance wise and all. Me, I perfer the auto with the lower 3.07 gear ratio, much quicker light to light than a manual and ya don't gott dread being stuck in traffic holding in that clutch and drifting bck on hilly areas with people right on your butt.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:12 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Me being old school, I hate automatics. Manual trannies have always been stronger and that is true here.

Unfortunately the businessman has taken over and there were more automatic C4's about 70%+/-

People will chime in that driving a stick in traffic is for the birds, those people need to learn to drive. The only time you push the clutch pedal in is when you are stopping or shifting. I can roll in traffic without ever pushing the clutch pedal in unless I need to come to a stop.

Although I do own an automatic as well as a six speed, the automatic only gets driven on Saturdays 1/4 mile at a time. I do like the way the automatic launches better than the stick, but nothing beats banging gears at WOT.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:51 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Mr. Mojo hit it dead on. There is no comparison to the level of control the manual gives you. This is a Corvette son... not a damn Caddy... it is supposed to feel like a race car... not a luxo-barge. Anyone can pull a gear selector from P to D and step on the gas... not everyone can shift like Mr. Mojo. I'd like to think I can slam some gears too... but not quite that good.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:52 AM
mitymek
Melting Slicks

you seem like a 6spd type to me.its still gonna feel caddy like compared to a 70 gtx.and the d44 is a definate plus if your gonna run on it much.plus-the 6 spd cars get better highway mpg (a4 o.d is close to 5th gear in the 6pd).
these cars all get over 20 mpg btw.
i like how every time this stick vs auto debate comes out theres this insinuation that gear banging is some kind of art form or something.
my wife can do it and still chew gum.
whats hard about stomping the right foot to the floor and then stabbing the left foot while simultaneously tugging a lever?
easy with cars as it is with street bikes,wide open,slap the clutch,click the shifter.
theres good reasons why the higher percentage of cars sold are autos.
more people prefer them.its not that they are all uncoordinated.
then there many like me that were simply on the fence with the issue and happened to find a nice car that happened to have the auto in it.
these autos arent like your average car btw.very intuitive,shifting is crisp and predictable and keeps the rpms in the powerband.
im not sorry i have the auto,but i wish i had the 6 spd.....
they are both cool.
my next c4 will be the 6spd.the d44 puts me on that side of the fence
Old 12-31-2004, 09:33 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

SeventyGTX, another ZF-6 speed man here, all the way Factory 3.33 gears w/Dana 44. 70k miles, no problems with tranny. Clutch was replaced 2k miles ago, the dual mass FW had some "hot spots" and simply decided to replace the entire package.

I don't drag race, so the choice was simple: manual transmission. ALOT of fun day-to-day driving. INHO the auto kills the real joy of driving. if you're into racing in a straight line for dollars then the auto is your answer, but for most who want to enjoy the driving experience then manual is your answer. I wouldn't own a corvette if it wasn't a manual.
You'll find there are many folks out there who have autos but in truth yearn for the stick. Thanks to GM only mfg. about 20% manuals (due to expected demand from all the yuppies with more money than brains or guts at the time), its a much sought-after option.......so if you see one and its a nice C4, don't let it pass you by without a good inspection, they're alot harder to find!!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:39 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I would have loved to have had a 6 spd in mine, but they're next to impossible to find out here. I just bought this one as a cruiser anyway.
Got a 6 spd in the other one though. Bangin' gears is a blast!
Old 12-31-2004, 10:09 AM
bdvdvh7
Burning Brakes

i love my six speed... and i have spend some time in traffic and had no problems. my 95 has nice clean and easy shifting.. go for it
Old 12-31-2004, 12:39 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
I am in the process of looking at C4s. Are the 6 speeds less reliable than the ATs? I mentioned on the Mopar board that I was in the market for a C4 and one guy said he has one with 18K on it..............with a broken flywheel. Not saying all flywheels are going to break, but is this common with the dual mass flywheel? Also, I have seen a couple of cars on the net with relatively low (50k) miles on them, with rebuilt 6spds. Are these isolated instances? I havent read a whole lot about the automatics, so assume they hold up well. I would definetely prefer a manual, but not if its a major PITA. Please advise a noob.
6spd vs Auto:
A guy looked into my 93 and with a strange look on his face he blurted "Its an automatic"?

He couldn't believe that a Corvette would have an automatic?
Should a true sportscar have a stick? But then would a real sportscar have a cd player and air conditioning?

I prefer the auto cuz I'm lazy and with all those choices I get confused.
But a stick is really fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros and cons of auto vs 6spd?

Old 01-01-2005, 01:20 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
Me being old school, I hate automatics. Manual trannies have always been stronger and that is true here.

Unfortunately the businessman has taken over and there were more automatic C4's about 70%+/-

People will chime in that driving a stick in traffic is for the birds, those people need to learn to drive. The only time you push the clutch pedal in is when you are stopping or shifting. I can roll in traffic without ever pushing the clutch pedal in unless I need to come to a stop.

Although I do own an automatic as well as a six speed, the automatic only gets driven on Saturdays 1/4 mile at a time. I do like the way the automatic launches better than the stick, but nothing beats banging gears at WOT.
Hmmm I drive a " stick " for a living ( eighteen wheeler ), I also have a stick in my daily driver ( S-10 ), So, I really enjoy the A-4 in my `87. Its just a matter of personal preference.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:25 AM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will say this too....a 6sp is more fun but ONLY when going through the gears at WOT..... the rest of the time gimme a auto!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:53 AM
SeventyGTX
Advanced

This thread got a bit off topic. I was asking mainly about durability of the 6 speed and flywheel.
I've seen plenty of stick vs auto threads on my old Mopar boards.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of auto vs 6spd?