Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Drive you Vette! Don't let it sit!...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Cal Vette
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Drive you Vette! Don't let it sit!...

....Or the seals will dry out!

My 19,374 mile vette is at the dealer right now getting the entire power steering rack replaced, along with a brake fluid flush and inspection ( over $900 if I don't need brakes too!) Needless to say come summer, I will no longer boast about a LOW MILE vert!!
This baby will see some road!
Old 01-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Kwikerthanu
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I drive mine at least once a week, weather permitting, just to keep everything working. It seems it does more harm than good to let them sit too long.

When the weather warms up, I will be driving it more often. My first Summer with a Corvette. Should be enjoyable.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:17 AM
HeeHaw89
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, but you don't have to put a lot of miles on them...a couple hundred miles a month should keep everything fresh. The key is to limit the length of time it sits w/o being started and driven.
I've owned a few cars over the years with very low miles, but never let them sit too long at a time, usually 2 months or less. Never had any dry seal problems.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:09 AM
White Six Speed
Racer

Default Made to be driven

I bought my Corvette as a daily driver. Corvettes are made to be driven not to sit and only be driven a few miles so the seals do not dry out. Cars are not a good money investment so to not drive it just to keep it low mileage is not the thing to do. Enjoy it and drive it whenever possible. My Corvette is low mileage, but sure isn"t going to stay that way!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:14 AM
HeeHaw89
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by White Six Speed
I bought my Corvette as a daily driver. Corvettes are made to be driven not to sit and only be driven a few miles so the seals do not dry out. Cars are not a good money investment so to not drive it just to keep it low mileage is not the thing to do. Enjoy it and drive it whenever possible. My Corvette is low mileage, but sure isn"t going to stay that way!
Yes they are made to be driven...
I'm not saying to just drive them enough to keep the seals from drying only, but if he chooses to keep the miles down he needs to at least put a few miles on it at reasonable intervals. The only reason I have vehicles that sit more than being driven is because I have many and can't drive them all at the same time. SO I make an effort to drive the few that sit a lot at least a few times a month.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:36 AM
proemtpff
Instructor

I bought my '86 6-8 months ago from my father. He's had the car since new but ONLY put 5800 miles on it. Anyway, the first thing that needed replacement was the power steering rack. I bought a referb for $225 but I got $100 for the returned core. Then a mechanic I know put it in and did a front alignment for $125. So, for a total of $250 I have a new power steering rack. I now have 8,000 miles on the car and no further repairs other than doing a tune-up "oil change, plugs, wires, cap and rotor".
Old 01-14-2005, 10:57 AM
beachcat
Safety Car

166,035 as of today on my 87 coupe. I bought it in 94 with less than 70k on it. Mine is a daily driver cause it is my only driver. What makes things worse is the upkeep on the engine. I try to keep it clean, for other reasons, but once in awhile I will still enter a Vette show. Clean up prior to a show is a pain, but I still do it. Keep on Driving.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:22 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easier said than done if you consider that most of the repsonses have been from guys in Florida and California. I last drove my car in early December when the first snow fell and the salt and cinders were plastered on the roads.
I know some (Mojo) will say drive it no matter what, but I refuse to drive it on salt and cinder covered roads. If it isn't the salt eating away at the frame and underside of the car, it's the cinders sandblasting the sides of the car. Heck, I would prefer the salt. At least I can wash that off, but the cinders they coat my road in destroy the rocker area. I can't wait until Spring when I can get out and drive her again.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:05 PM
beachcat
Safety Car

I've have no problem with not driving on salted roads( I did that with my truck in Michigan and lost my muffler ) or snow covered roads. But, I do drive mine, rain or shine or even hurricane(if its not too close). Even on sunny days, you have no idea what you may run into ie... retread tire pieces that spider your windshield upon impact(happened), contruction trucks throwing off debris(happened), painter trucks that for some reason are spewing mists of paint(happened). Not to mention the snowbirds and thier inability to see low cars. If I lived up North, I would have another car for the salt and snow, but I'd drive the hell out of the vette any other time.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:38 PM
NotMyVette
Instructor

I agree, it drives me nuts when you get people that say there's only 500 miles on their 1991. I just can't imagine letting all that power and speed sit in a garage. Take that beast out and light'er up!!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Considering most C4s will not become collectors items until most of us are pushing up daisies, Drive it like you stole it!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Rich & Lisa_84
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Vette averaged 5,000 mile per year, Until i got it . It saw over 25,000 miles the first year that I owned it. Lisa will probably only put 4 - 5,000 per year on hers. She does not drive as often as I do. I feel it is a waste to have such beautiful cars and keep them hidden the in garage.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:46 PM
cash
8th Gear

Default to sit or not to sit

I'd wanted a corvette badly. When I did get the job I wanted (1hr commute) I was close to buy a Saturn. But then I saw my 93 on a web site.

That was my chance.

Yes I do enjoy driving as much as I can. But Also give the car a break.
Got another 3 cars (van and sedan) so all of them take turns.

But mostly I prefer to enjoy my drive in the car I wanted to drive.
But as some of you already point, I do live in California. See your point.

Fact is, as I see it; you got your car with your money. You got the right to do whatever you want.
It's a cool car, evet to look at it on you garage.

Remember guys at work critizicing a cooworker whom spent more than 60k on his mercedes (or BMW).
Whent one of them approach me with his comments all I have to say was " He did not asked me for Money" so i dont care what he does with it.

Hey, enjoy life.

Question: My car is a 40th C4.
How often does the leafspring need to be replaced?
My C4 sits low, and juast noticed some parts rubbing each other doe to car sitting lower than what it's supposed to be at.

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Z06ZR166c
Racer

My ZR1 sat staright not even turned on for 4 years.... secondary injectors were shot as well as the starter... bought it OCT 1st 04 with 17,900 and by nov 5th it had 19,800.

The car has been in my family since 98 when we bought it with 8,000.

Next summer im going to assume it will have around 25-27k.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

it was -18 degres in minneapolis wind chill-50 to day the roads are white with salt no way not my baby
Old 01-14-2005, 03:07 PM
tm1995c4-LT1
Racer

Drive it like you stole it!!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Drive your Vette, don't let it sit!"

OK, its Friday, sun is out, sky is blue, leaving my desk now.

Get notified of new replies

To Drive you Vette! Don't let it sit!...

Old 01-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

This post was meant as a warning to those that don't drive their cars much...I feel it's the owners right to do what he wants with his car...not my business....when I got my 93 I drove the heck out of it for 3 years and averaged over 100 pases a year at the drag strip...now I use it primarily for drag racing but do cruise around some to the tune of about 500 miles a month...to each his own...
Old 01-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986pacecar
Easier said than done if you consider that most of the repsonses have been from guys in Florida and California. I last drove my car in early December when the first snow fell and the salt and cinders were plastered on the roads.
I know some (Mojo) will say drive it no matter what, but I refuse to drive it on salt and cinder covered roads. If it isn't the salt eating away at the frame and underside of the car, it's the cinders sandblasting the sides of the car. Heck, I would prefer the salt. At least I can wash that off, but the cinders they coat my road in destroy the rocker area. I can't wait until Spring when I can get out and drive her again.
Salt + our aluminum under pinnings = corrosion.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tm1995c4-LT1
Drive it like you stole it!!
Too extreme.

Instead, drive it like you are only exerting unauthorized control over it.

Quick Reply: Drive you Vette! Don't let it sit!...