Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

FS: Performance 4L60 transmission and auto conversion pieces

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FS: Performance 4L60 transmission and auto conversion pieces

93 model 4L60 transmission with 30-spline input shaft and performance upgrades.

This transimission is not the electric solenoid operated transmission like the 4L60E that came out in 94, but rather a newer and updated version of the 700R4. This particualr model has a 5 wire round plug for the ECM signals and lock-up torque converter operation. The extra wires are for discrete signals to the ECM for second and third gear. Earlier models only provide an input to the ECM for 4th gear, which this does as well. I can provide a wiring diagram with the operation of each wire. This transmission also has a temperature switch inside which prevents the converter lockup from engaging until the transmission reaches a certain temp. Nice. And being a '93 transmission it has the LT1 governor which has higher shift points than the 700R4s that came behind the L98s. I am running an Accel Gen VII DFI unit in my 85 and used a relay triggered by the ECM to activate the lockup converter.

I originally bought the transmission from a Corvette salvage yard, rebuilt it and put it in my '85 in January 2007. The only problem with
it when I rebuilt it was a broken accumulator spring, which I replaced, and also added a number of performance parts listed below. I
removed it from my Vette in January 2009 to re-install my 6-speed and had clocked right at 6650 miles on the automatic transmission during that time. The transmission operation has been flawless. It has a good positive shift feel to it from just the Red Eagle performance friction and steels, which in addition to being a bit more aggressive, have about 20% more friction area than factory. I was happy enough with the firmness of the shifts (positive, but far from harsh) that I did not install the rest of the TransGo kit, but the rest of the kit goes with the transmission so that you can beef it up as you like. The only thing I used from the TransGO kit during the rebuild was the Hi rev spring kit which reduces 3/4 clutch burnup caused by crossleaks and slow kickdown release. The rest of the Transgo kit can be installed without removing the transmission from the vehicle. The TransGo kit also includes the option for converting to a fully manual valve body, and of course other features to increae line pressure and firm up shifts.

New parts at time of rebuild:
TransGo Reprogramming kit part # 700-2&3
The Beast sun gear shell
5 pinion planetary gear sets front and back
Red Eagle performance friction with Kolene performance steels and 3/4 PowerPak
Red Eagle Power Band
New rings, lip seals, gaskets and o-rings throughout
New tailshaft bushing, pump bushing
Spicer yoke
New dipstick tube
New TV cable
Flexplate, neutral balance for 2 piece rear seal crank
B&M 2400 stall speed converter
5-wire round pigtail harness for the case plug
Inverted flare to -6AN male adapters for cooling lines at the transmission case
Earl's high pressure high temp hose with -6AN female ends

Other stuff:
Brake pedal
Shifter
Both ****er cables
Shifter switch
Shifter switch pigtail harness

Not included:
Oil cooler
console shifter plate
anything else I didn't think of...

Last edited by danno85; 03-15-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: No longer available
Old 02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed it, what kind of converter?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cwyates4
Maybe I missed it, what kind of converter?
Yep, It's a B&M 2400 stall speed converter w/lockup clutch.

Thanks for looking!
Dan
Old 02-18-2009, 11:44 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very interesting. My 700r4 has developed a grind on the 3-2 downshift. Ya' think this thing can handle 500 hp and drag radials?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 AM
bill925
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the chances that it will match right up to a 1995 automatic? i know that mine has the 4 speed with odrive which makes it a 4l60e correct? i need to know if all i will have to do is bolt it right up and it will work perfectly. if so i will take it and i need to know how much shipping would be to 32404 and how would you like your money taken care of?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 AM
danno85
Burning Brakes

very interesting. My 700r4 has developed a grind on the 3-2 downshift. Ya' think this thing can handle 500 hp and drag radials?

Thanks for the interest. I am not going to make claims about how much horespower or abuse the transmission will take, but I'll be happy to discuss things with you. I was making about 340 rwhp, only made a couple passes down the drag strip while I had the auto in, mostly just spirited street driving for me. I don't run drag radials and I don't launch hard. I'm always more intereted in trap speeds.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by danno85; 02-19-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: wrong quote :)
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 AM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bill925
what are the chances that it will match right up to a 1995 automatic? i know that mine has the 4 speed with odrive which makes it a 4l60e correct? i need to know if all i will have to do is bolt it right up and it will work perfectly. if so i will take it and i need to know how much shipping would be to 32404 and how would you like your money taken care of?
Hello, The 700R4, 4L60 and 4L60e are all 4-speed autos with overdrive. This difference in yours (the 4L60e) is that electric solenoids inside the transmission are used by the ECM to control shift points, rather than line pressure and throttle opening as with the earlier autos, so this one is not a plug and play for you. Thanks for your interest though!

Dan
Old 02-21-2009, 07:24 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

ttt
Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

ttt

Get notified of new replies