Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

91 ZR-1 Engine Oil Cooler Lines

Old 06-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Boneyard
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 ZR-1 Engine Oil Cooler Lines

I need to replace my oil cooler lines that run between engine and cooler. Im trying to find stock or as close to as possible. The car is original as of now with 14,200 miles. They currently have a very slow leak. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 PM
1971 Judge
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

This is what you need - and it works perfect, worth every penny.

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/hose-se...ck-90-95-10c2/
Old 11-07-2017, 02:16 PM
apehair
Cruising

Default How complicated is removing and replacing these lines?

Originally Posted by 1971 Judge
This is what you need - and it works perfect, worth every penny.

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/hose-se...ck-90-95-10c2/
Judge, is replacing the lines something a shade-tree mechanic can do? I'm comfortable doing just about anything on my motorcycles (Harley, Ducati, BMW), but haven't worked on Corvettes much.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 11-07-2017, 02:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

another option is sending (any)your lines to Orme Bros in northridge Ca they will make one up just like yours...lots of choices in types/brands, too. They do some decent work and no vette tax.
The following users liked this post:
apehair (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 02:30 PM
1971 Judge
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by apehair
Judge, is replacing the lines something a shade-tree mechanic can do? I'm comfortable doing just about anything on my motorcycles (Harley, Ducati, BMW), but haven't worked on Corvettes much.

Thanks,

Rick
Rick,

Yes, you could easily do the oil lines yourself; especially since you are a veteran of working on motorcycles. You'll be fine.
apehair (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 03:15 PM
apehair
Cruising

Originally Posted by 1971 Judge
Rick,

Yes, you could easily do the oil lines yourself; especially since you are a veteran of working on motorcycles. You'll be fine.
Thanks, Judge. The dealership was quoting me two hours.

Rick
Old 11-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks, Judge. The dealership was quoting me two hours.

Rick
Its easy enough to do but its a real mess. You will need some rather large Wrenches 1-1/4th , 1-1/8th immediately come to my memory. I suggest doing an oil change at the same time since you are going to be in there.

Its sounds like you trying to stay original however a lot of us have upgraded to stainless braided oil cooler lines for this reason as the compression areas of the fittings are the major weak point.

GC

Last edited by Goldcylon; 11-07-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:04 PM
apehair
Cruising

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Its easy enough to do but its a real mess. You will need some rather large Wrenches 1-1/4th , 1-1/8th immediately come to my memory. I suggest doing an oil change at the same time since you are going to be in there.

Its sounds like you trying to stay original however a lot of us have upgraded to stainless braided oil cooler lines for this reason as the compression areas of the fittings are the major weak point.

GC
Good tips. Thanks. I do have larger wrenches and boy can I make a mess when I do an oil change. It's the holy grail for me: change the oil without spilling a drop. The one time I finally managed it, I was about to jump for joy when I stepped on the edge of the full oil pan and flipped it over.

Not trying to stay original, by the way. I got the stainless braided lines from Jerry's gaskets, as Judge recommended earlier in this post. What other lines would you recommend I upgrade to stainless steel?

Thanks again,

Rick
Old 11-09-2017, 05:39 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

What other lines would you recommend I upgrade to stainless steel?
Brake Lines.

Nitrous Lines.
:-)
apehair (11-22-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 95ZR1
Brake Lines.

Nitrous Lines.
:-)
good thoughts here Ted.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:03 PM
apehair
Cruising

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
good thoughts here Ted.
I finally got around to making the swap. Had no problems removing the stock assembly. When I had to remove the stock whichamacallits that are threaded into the engine case, holy moly! Wouldn't budge. I removed the oil filter to have a little more room, but I still had a hard time getting the wrench around them. I tried a socket, but couldn't get it all the way around the nut, so when I yanked hard, I stripped the nut.

Not wanting to make things worse, I had it towed to my local mechanic. He said it took a thin-walled socket and 3-foot breaker bar to loosen the nuts. While he was in there, he installed the steel-braided lines from J&J gaskets for me.

Nitrous, LOL. I'll do the brake lines, next, and see how that goes. :-)

Again, thanks for the help and encouragement.

ape
Old 11-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

I finally got around to making the swap. Had no problems removing the stock assembly. When I had to remove the stock whichamacallits that are threaded into the engine case, holy moly! Wouldn't budge. I removed the oil filter to have a little more room, but I still had a hard time getting the wrench around them. I tried a socket, but couldn't get it all the way around the nut, so when I yanked hard, I stripped the nut.

Not wanting to make things worse, I had it towed to my local mechanic. He said it took a thin-walled socket and 3-foot breaker bar to loosen the nuts. While he was in there, he installed the steel-braided lines from J&J gaskets for me.

Nitrous, LOL. I'll do the brake lines, next, and see how that goes. :-)

Again, thanks for the help and encouragement.

ape

Congrats

Get notified of new replies

To 91 ZR-1 Engine Oil Cooler Lines

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 91 ZR-1 Engine Oil Cooler Lines