Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

WTB: Need High Rise Cowl Hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Sgt.Dozer
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need High Rise Cowl Hood

I need a high rise cowl hood to clear big block conversion soon to be efi. Currently have greenwood style hood but once I convert to efi then it will be too low.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:44 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

ACIVette.com sells hirise hoods (formerly done by ToledoPro). This is what I have. If the build quality is the same, it's a good piece and well-worth the money. When ToledoPro made them, they came in a 2 3/4" and 4" center rise.

I pointed this out because it sounds like you might need something fairly substantial in the middle?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Sgt.Dozer
Advanced

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
ACIVette.com sells hirise hoods (formerly done by ToledoPro). This is what I have. If the build quality is the same, it's a good piece and well-worth the money. When ToledoPro made them, they came in a 2 3/4" and 4" center rise.

I pointed this out because it sounds like you might need something fairly substantial in the middle?
Your hood looks very cool. Yes I need more height toward the center I believe to clear multiport type plenum I believe. Their super high rise looks like it will clear but doesn't have the smooth transition your hood has appearing to drop back down from 4" to 2" at the rear. Are you running fuel injection?
Old 01-20-2018, 05:14 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Mine (as most you'll find on this forum) is the 2 3/4" version. I'm essentially running a stock "configuration"....meaning stock height intake.

FWIW, the 4" version is pretty damn tall. Looks a bit more like a strip/track/funny car with one of those installed. I'm sure you could still see OK to drive on the street though.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Sgt.Dozer
Advanced

Mine (as most you'll find on this forum) is the 2 3/4" version. I'm essentially running a stock "configuration"....meaning stock height intake.

FWIW, the 4" version is pretty damn tall. Looks a bit more like a strip/track/funny car with one of those installed. I'm sure you could still see OK to drive on the street though.
Do you have any pics of the hood from the bottom? I am juggling with different intake options and hope i can get away with the 2 3/4" version.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:47 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Let me know if you need more detail or a different view....

Old 01-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Sgt.Dozer
Advanced

Let me know if you need more detail or a different view....

That is a really nice quality production. Do you know how much clearance you have above your throttlebody?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:16 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Yes, they are (were?). My bodyshop specifically stated the work to fit/install this particular aftermarket hood was similar to a stock hood...meaning it was a big compliment! Not a lot of block sanding/prep either.

I would assume the molds are the same -- as purchased by ACI after mine was built by Toledo. ACI has been around for a long time so I assume they do quality glass. I've never asked what THEY charge for the hood nowadays. 10yrs ago, it was about $1150 IIRC. A stock hood was $500 higher back then.

I'll have to figure out a way to measure clearance for you. Something that would "squish" and stay squished would be my first thought. Too bad I don't have any clay/Play Dough. Hmmmmm......
Old 01-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Sgt.Dozer
Advanced

Yes, they are (were?). My bodyshop specifically stated the work to fit/install this particular aftermarket hood was similar to a stock hood...meaning it was a big compliment! Not a lot of block sanding/prep either.

I would assume the molds are the same -- as purchased by ACI after mine was built by Toledo. ACI has been around for a long time so I assume they do quality glass. I've never asked what THEY charge for the hood nowadays. 10yrs ago, it was about $1150 IIRC. A stock hood was $500 higher back then.

I'll have to figure out a way to measure clearance for you. Something that would "squish" and stay squished would be my first thought. Too bad I don't have any clay/Play Dough. Hmmmmm......
Thank you for the willingness to measure but not necessary. I found an efi intake that sits an 1 1/2" lower than my current carb does. That should put me in the clear with room to play. From what I gather the ACI hood is somewhere between 1700-1800 but i could be way wrong. They have a price list on their site but I may be quoting something else on the list....
Old 01-24-2018, 06:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sgt.Dozer
Thank you for the willingness to measure but not necessary. I found an efi intake that sits an 1 1/2" lower than my current carb does. That should put me in the clear with room to play. From what I gather the ACI hood is somewhere between 1700-1800 but i could be way wrong. They have a price list on their site but I may be quoting something else on the list....
Holy high prices Batman! Yeah...I see $1860 listed on their webpage. ACI has always been higher-priced from what I've seen but maybe they are better? IDK. For one thing, they are less willing to have sales (which probably only happens once/yr for Carlisle?)

Toledo Pro actually specialized in something else besides Corvette parts. I think that's one of the reasons they were more flexible on pricing....They were doing Vette parts "on the side".

Anyway....glad you have something that might work out!

Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Sgt.Dozer
Advanced

Holy high prices Batman! Yeah...I see $1860 listed on their webpage. ACI has always been higher-priced from what I've seen but maybe they are better? IDK. For one thing, they are less willing to have sales (which probably only happens once/yr for Carlisle?)

Toledo Pro actually specialized in something else besides Corvette parts. I think that's one of the reasons they were more flexible on pricing....They were doing Vette parts "on the side".

Anyway....glad you have something that might work out!

At this point I hope someone replies with a Toledo/ACI cowl hood for sale. However the wife is stomping her foot wanting a pool so it looks like I may have to sell my C4.

Get notified of new replies

To Need High Rise Cowl Hood

Quick Reply: WTB: Need High Rise Cowl Hood