Notices
C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted C4 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

WTB: Looking For L98 Aluminum heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 11:54 AM
corvt86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For L98 Aluminum heads

I looking for a good used set of L98 aluminum heads cheap if possible.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:19 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a set off of my '86, but they are not cheap.

The aluminum cylinder heads have part #10088113 molded in them. The valve sizes are just over 2” for one and 1 ½” for the other. The heads were rebuilt 12/19/08 and that costs $496.62. My spreadsheet did not show the specific work that was done and I have been unable to find the original receipt to determine what specifically was done. The entries did provide some interesting history. These heads were on the engine that blew up in a race at Mid Ohio 7/12/08. The failure was a broken crank. I replaced that engine with a GM 383 crate engine and reworked these heads as spares. I have since changed race cars and no longer need them.

Here is how I established the price of $950 + shipping. I searched ebay and local craigslist using this specific cylinder head number and have not found much. One seller wants $375 for some really bad looking heads and another wants $799 for heads good for parts only, which is absurd.

In trying to establish a value, I called a local engine shop and asked what the cost would be to rebuild a set of these heads. He said minimum $400 and it could be $700-800 if the guides and valves and springs were replaced. This is the company I think rebuild these heads, but without the original receipt, I cannot verify it.

Here is what I found in on-line searching 12-29-18 for price and availability of this specific set of heads. What surprised me was the lack of availability. Most of listings I found were several years old.

$799.99+$65 ship...eBay / greasy & for parts only, not working; multiple postings by the same seller…I think this is ridiculous
$800+ship+paypal...Corvette Forum post dated 08-24-18; Rebuilt ….Sold
$300...Corvette Forum post dated 08-31-17; pulled from seized up engine, looked warped in pictures and nasty looking…..Sold
Amazon….no matches on head #
Corvette Action Center....no matches on head #
Google searching took me to the eBay post

I hope this is helpful in making your assessment. Let me know if you are interested.

Ed
Old 03-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Mjet67
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

PM Sent

Get notified of new replies

To Looking For L98 Aluminum heads

Quick Reply: WTB: Looking For L98 Aluminum heads