C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help!!! My brakes are falling apart

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crheinish
You have the wrong pins or the wrong pads, my bet is pads. Check your mfg. date to verify vehicle year then call these guys they will be able to help:

http://www.vbandp.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=130

Pads are the same for HD and Non HD brakes. The pin is different, as it is longer. Since the throat is wider on the HD version.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

AFter looking at the pin you showed. You have two grooves for the e clip, mine(95 J55 and 93 non J55) only have one groove.

Maybe it's been the wrong pin all along, whoever had the car before you may have got the wrong one.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:05 PM
hotclayb1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
AFter looking at the pin you showed. You have two grooves for the e clip, mine(95 J55 and 93 non J55) only have one groove.

Maybe it's been the wrong pin all along, whoever had the car before you may have got the wrong one.
After comparing the pictures of the 2 pins in the link, I see that the only difference is where the groove is. The 2 grooves you see in mine seem to cover both standard and HD. Use inner groove for standard, outer groove for HD. So in all likelyhood, this pin is correct.

This leaves the pads in question. Assuming the standard and HD pads are identical as stated above, I wonder what the likelyhood of having received the wrong pads that still happened to fit pretty good. These have been in for a couple of years now. I didn't buy or install them so I can't vouch for them. I guess I'll take one out tomorrow and compare it to a new one at the store.

Something else just occured to me. Since these have been in for so long and I guess the problem may have sort of developed over time, it might be that the steel used in the pad backing is of poor quality and has worn or sort of dented in. I don't know the brand but if this were the case I'd certainly try to let everyone know.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, after a couple of years of unsuccessful searches I finally just stumble on someone with the same problem I have. But in my case, The pin only coming part of the way out caused the caliper to **** sideways under pressure, and was causing my right front caliper to lock up, and the more I drove the car, the worse it got. Once it cooled down, I could drive another couple of hundred yards, but then it would lock up again. So the car has basically sat for seven years.

And I'm finally getting it back on the road. I bought rebuilt calipers from Autozone, and they came with new pins. I have a measuring caliper, and the old pin measured .307", while the new one that came with the caliper measured .306".

But what I don't understand is how I drove the car for about eight to ten years before this finally happened. Is it possible the "grove" wore out some, allowing the pin to fall part of the way out? Either way, I'm putting new hoses, pads, and calipers on it. Keepin' my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Help!!! My brakes are falling apart