C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Possible Torque Converter trouble. I need guidence...

Old 02-12-2005, 09:20 AM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Possible Torque Converter trouble. I need guidence...

I installed a transgo shift kit into my 700r4 in my 86 coupe. I also installed a .500 boost valve and a .283 int/rev boost valve. I also went with a trans pan 2 quarts deeper than stock. The car shifts great, but if I am driving normal, the torque converter keeps going in and out of lockup. Also, it seems like I can't drop into passing gear at speeds over 75-80mph. I can't seem to figure out why, but I am suspecting possibly that the increase in trans oil pressure from shift kit and boost valves might make the stock converter insufficient. I also installed a billet 2-4 servo with 35% more holding power than corvette servo, and a billet 4th gear servo with 40% more holding power. I don't think the servos caused any problems, because the trouble accured before the new servo install. The torque converter on my trans is stock. I don't even know its stall speed. I think I heard 2000 rpm stall somewhere. Anyways, could it be that my stock torque converter is insufficient with my current setup? I would like to upgrade torque converter anyways. I was thinking a 2800 stall, or a 3200 stall, but I am not sure which one to go with. It is a daily driver that gets MUCH WOT. It would also have to be a lockup converter as I believe that is what the car is set up for stock, plus I don't want to kill economy too bad. Does anyone here have any suggestions? Another thing I noticed is that when I do a few drag races, that the car starts to jump in first or second gear, like something is up with the torque converter. What could this be? I do have future power upgrades for the car, but nothing totally extreme. If I need another Torque converter, then which speed, make and specs will give super launches, and be reliable for quite a while and not kill my wallet? I do not see the track much at all, but I want to correct this problem, and increase launch power. All info and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2005, 06:27 PM
darkman5001
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt
Old 02-12-2005, 07:48 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The transmission oil pressure shouldn't affect the TC operation. I don't suspect a converter problem. For your set up, I wouldn't buy any less than a 2800 rpm stall speed.

RACE ON!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:58 PM
sneaky pete
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONVERTER LOCK-UP GOING IN &OUT

DUE TO DIFF. SHIFT POINTS OF SHIFT KIT AND DIFF. VALVE INSTALLED.I HAD SAME PROBLEM IN IROC CAMARO YEARS AGO AND HAD A TOGGLE SWITCH INSTALLED FOR OVERDRIVE(HIGHWAY USE ONLY).FRIEND OF MINE INSTALLED IT BUT SEEM TO BE REAL SIMPLE

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Torque Converter trouble. I need guidence...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible Torque Converter trouble. I need guidence...