C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Good-bye Corsa......hello Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 06:08 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good-bye Corsa......hello Magnaflow

Over the past few months, the Corsa/X-pipe resonance has gotten to a point where it's....well...loud....better yet.......obnoxious. At 3000 rpm...it's downright deafening in the interior. So I searched for a solution, and came up with 2 answers: a) replace the X-pipe with the original Corsa resonator or B) replace everything.......I chose plan B.

After hearing a local ZR1 with Magnaflow exhaust....I knew I wanted that deep throaty sound.....but I didn't want any resonance. I figured if the Corsa system normally has no resonance, and the only thing mine was missing was the resonator......the resonator is what actually eliminates the resonance......gotta love deductive reasoning.

So I ordered the Magnaflows from ebay (perfomance peddler ). When they arrived, I had a local muffler shop remove the X-pipe and replace it with the Corsa h-pipe/resonator. I also had them remove the Corsa mufflers and install the Magnaflows in their place.

Now to the sound......WOW.....this thing sounds great. It has the deep, throaty sound and best of all......no resonance....none at all

After having the Corsas......and now the Magnaflows,....I can now understand why Nathan Plemons dislikes the Corsas. They have a .....how do I put this......blatty sound in comparison to the Magnaflows. The Magnaflows have a deeper... more muscular sound.

I now believe I have achieved exhaust nirvana

ps - i have some Corsa mufflers for sale. pm/email me if interested

Last edited by TM-Z06; 02-18-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:25 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I think if you had the entire Corsa system installed, you might feel differently.

however, I am glad you are happy.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:28 PM
vetster86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Magnaflow Catback System on my 86 and love it, and you can't beat the price and quality.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:41 PM
jrp
Le Mans Master

Are you using all the Corsa parts now except for the Magnaflow mufflers? That is how I'm reading your post.

Hmmmm... deeper, you say....

Was your car ever set up with the complete Corsa system, and if so, would you still make the same comparisons?

How does the overall volume compare? I could leave my Corsas alone and be happy, but I do wish it was a bit louder from the driver's seat. I wouldn't want much change in the highway cruising volume, though.

Was this done in a way that would allow the Corsa mufflers to be reinstalled, or would the Corsa y-pipes need to be altered? If I remember correctly, the Magnaflows also just clamp on.

Hmmm...

My wife would die if I did something like this now - Corsas were just put on a couple months ago.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:05 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jrp
Are you using all the Corsa parts now except for the Magnaflow mufflers? That is how I'm reading your post.

Hmmmm... deeper, you say....

Was your car ever set up with the complete Corsa system, and if so, would you still make the same comparisons?

How does the overall volume compare? I could leave my Corsas alone and be happy, but I do wish it was a bit louder from the driver's seat. I wouldn't want much change in the highway cruising volume, though.

Was this done in a way that would allow the Corsa mufflers to be reinstalled, or would the Corsa y-pipes need to be altered? If I remember correctly, the Magnaflows also just clamp on.

Hmmm...

My wife would die if I did something like this now - Corsas were just put on a couple months ago.

I never installed the complete corsa kit - I had the X-pipe installed instead of the resonator.....which of course made it louder - but it still sounded like all the other C4's I've heard with corsas (just louder). Don't get me wrong.....it sounded great......very aggressive.....but just a tad too loud...especially when I was getting on the throttle hard.

If you want to make the corsa's louder - you have to either get rid of the cats.....or.......get rid of the resonator. If you're happy with them, leave them alone.....I was looking for something different.....and I got just that.

I had the magnaflows clamped on.....but not because I may or may not want to re-use the corsas. i plan to stick with with magnaflows and sell the corsa mufflers.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:57 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What size pipes?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:22 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ralph
What size pipes?
2.5" for the Corsa's
Old 02-18-2005, 08:29 PM
C5Jimmy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I've heard that Corsa's are too quiet! Well, I have a stock res with elim's and the resonance is a little too much, was gonna go Magnaflow muff's with custom x pipe in place of resonator, but now I've decided to go Borla cat back with the LT1 stock tip look!
Old 02-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for stepping away from the Corsa cult.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:59 AM
vetster86
Racer

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Thank you for stepping away from the Corsa cult.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:53 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You have seen the light! Corsa's sound like crap on a C4.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:11 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Still liking it?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:35 PM
99svrcpe
Racer

Originally Posted by scorp508
You have seen the light! Corsa's sound like crap on a C4.

I Guess it time for me to chime in with a descenting opinion:

I have a LT4 with EM long tubes, no cats and complete Corsa system. I turn heads everwhere I go and often have poeple asking what tpye of exhaust do I have because it's one of the meanest/best they have heard. Not to mention I still have very low resonance inside the car which for me is one of the most important aspects in selecting a freeflowing exhaust.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 99svrcpe
I have a LT4 with EM long tubes, no cats and complete Corsa system. I turn heads everwhere I go and often have poeple asking what tpye of exhaust do I have because it's one of the meanest/best they have heard. Not to mention I still have very low resonance inside the car which for me is one of the most important aspects in selecting a freeflowing exhaust.
And I shall respectfully disagree. They ask so that they don't get caught accidently buying it.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to hear it, buddy!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:23 PM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

I like the sound of Corsa's. Is that ok?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 PM
99svrcpe
Racer

Originally Posted by scorp508
And I shall respectfully disagree. They ask so that they don't get caught accidently buying it.
I'm sure we can agree that all C4's are COOL

Get notified of new replies

To Good-bye Corsa......hello Magnaflow

Old 02-24-2005, 04:42 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a B&B guy ing. Did you guys see the thread on cutting open a Corsa muffler? Interesting.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Very cool, Corsa solved the problem, the super annoying resonance, and Magnaflow gave you the sound you wanted.

I bet if he actually said "goodbye to Corsa" entirely or "left the cult" he'd still be looking to make another change to solve the original problem.

Seriously, glad you found a great combo! I'd like to hear some Magnaflows one time alot of people seem to like them.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:38 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Check my sig. for a sound clip...

Quick Reply: Good-bye Corsa......hello Magnaflow