C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HOW TO: PKE Replacement with Aftermarket Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:42 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Default HOW TO: PKE Replacement with Aftermarket Keyless Entry

Hey guys, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong with my PKE system so I finally got fed up and bought a different aftermarket one. Maybe some of you guys are in the same boat and will find it useful. It might not hurt to throw it in the Tech Tips spot, but anyways here's the write up.

If you are looking to replace your PKE system the first step is to choose an aftermarket system to install. I chose the VKE-1000 system. This is actually a GM accessory, but they have discontinued supplying it. I was told this was because all the new cars have keyless entry so there would be no point. Thanks GM. But you can still get them at a good price from a company called Vintage Parts LCC. Just call 877-846-8243 and ask for part number 12497735.

The next step is to remove the PKE receiver located inside the dash. The proper way to get to the receiver is to remove the entire dash board. Being as this is a long and tedious process I chose to cut a 4"x5" hole in the proper spot to remove the receiver. You start by removing the shifter trim plate, the center air vents, and the radio trim panel. It will be helpful to remove the driver information center(DIC), radio, and climate controls at this time, just unscrew the faceplate screws, slide them forward and unplug the wires from the back. The receiver is located directly behind where the DIC was located. You should be able to see it through the small slot where the wires come through. There should be two boxes, the small one on top is the tone generator and the large one on the bottom is the receiver. Cut a hole about 3-4" high and 4-5" long just big enough to get the receiver out. You will have to cut through the metal bracket holding the recover in place as well. Once this is done use a screwdriver to loosen the velcro between the tone generator and the receiver. Once you have the receiver out can disconnect the wire harnesses and you should then have access to all the wires that you need.

There are two connectors from the PKE system. The larger of the two PKE connectors I will call X1 and the wires are labeled A1-A8 and B1-B8 in accordance to the markings on the PKE receiver. The small of the two I will call X2 and the wires are labeled A-H. The VKE-1000 receiver has two harnesses as well, H1, the larger, and H2, the smaller. The labels should be clear in the instruction manual.

Here's how they are hooked up. I choose not to use the tube connectors supplied with the kit. I found some better crimps from a vendor that do not pull apart. Before hooking up these wires it would be wise to disconnect the possitive terminal of the battery to prevent any kind of shorts from happening. Here's how the wires are hooked up.

H1-1 Orange----------------------------------------------UNUSED
H1-2 White-----------------X1/A6 Black/Yellow------------Door Open
H1-3 White/Blue------------------------------------------ UNUSED
H1-4 Black/White-----------X1/B2 Green-------------------Disarm Alarm
H1-5 Green-----------------------------------------------UNUSED
H1-6 Blue-------------------------------------------------UNUSED
H1-7 Violet------------------------------------------------UNUSED
H1-8 Black------------------X1/A1 Black-------------------Ground
H1-9 Yellow-----------------X1/A5 Pink--------------------Ignition On
H1-10 Brown-----------------------------------------------UNUSED
H1-11 Red-------------------X2/F Orange------------------12+ Volts
H1-12 Red/White-------------X2/E Brown(Blu?)--------------Hatch Release

H2-A Red/White-------------X1/A1 Black-------------------Grounded
H2-B Black/White------------X1/A1 Black-------------------Grounded
H2-C White/Black------------X2/G Light Blue/White---------To lock side of switches
H2-D Green/Black------------X2/D Grey--------------------To lock side of solenoids
H2-E Violet/Black------------X2/F Orange------------------12+ Volts
H2-F Brown/Black------------X2/A Black/Grey--------------To unlock side of switches
H2-G Blue/Black--------------X2/B(Tan) & H(Grey/Black)----To unlock side of solenoids
H2-H Violet------------------X2/F Orange------------------12+ Volts

Using this wire hook up scheme the following will happen:
-The security system will arm when the lock button is pushed and the interior lights will flash on for a second.
-The unlock button will disable the security system and turn the interior lights on.
-The GM button will open the trunk release if held for 2 seconds.
-The panic button will set off the car alarm if the alarm is set. To turn it off you must hit the unlock button.

Be sure to test everything before you put all of the trim pieces back together. Nothing is more disheartening than having to take something apart that you just put together. Don't forget to reconnect the battery and double check the power door lock and PKE fuses. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:03 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the writeup!

You should submit this as a tech tip.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:11 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

what if my car does not have a PKE ?

I have a 92
Old 03-23-2005, 10:26 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by steve9899
Thanks for the writeup!

You should submit this as a tech tip.

I think I might, Anybody else have any comments on it?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:51 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

wow, I've seen the post about how many people hate their PKE or can't get it to work. I figured there'd be some kind of comments.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 PM
redruby93
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pke Update

[
Wished You Lived Nearby,sounds Like You Have The Right Idea On Pke System. I Agree You Ought To Post This As A Tech Post.
Good Job.

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO: PKE Replacement with Aftermarket Keyless Entry

Quick Reply: HOW TO: PKE Replacement with Aftermarket Keyless Entry