C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The ole split BLM issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06
Default The ole split BLM issue

My scans show a split of between 8-14 points lean on my left side. I have done a search for vacuum leaks and find none. My left O2 sensor is flakey and I am going to replace it with one I got from Superior for $34 Cris was great told him I was a member here and he saved me $25 from my local dealer they wanted $115 installed $59 for the sensor. Didn't figure it would take them over an hour to do it told em that is outragous. Anyway could the flakey O2 cause the split? It would seem to me if it was the O2 it would be rich not lean as my scan shows it reading lower than the right side. Any other ideas on what could cause this?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

HMMM am I the only person this ever happened to?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

hey redeasy...

I have a simular situation many others as well, my left side is also leaner that the right. I've been chasing other "bigger" gremlins", but the split blms can be a couple things, it could be the cylinder balance settings, where the ECM is programed to meter a different amount between the different cylinders, also it could have to do with the throttle body settings. There are a quite a few posts dealing with these issues.

Mo
Old 03-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Thanks Mo I have been reading them but I did not see any saying O2 was the cause although I got a PM saying it could be so I guess I will see whats up when I get the O2 replaced and if it doesn't go away gonna have to look elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:28 PM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '04

Redeasysport-

A bad O2 sensor could definitely cause a split blm. If the O2 sensor isnt reading correctly, it thinks it is more rich or lean than it really is, and you will get a split BLM.

I am going through a similar problem, but I happen to know both my O2 sensors are fine. I suspect I have a partially clogged cat which could be causing my problem.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Alvin
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

The split blms are usefull in diagnosing several worse problems.

a burnt plug wire will make one side read lower
A burnt or baked O2 wire will cause one side to read lower
Lazy o2's (pretty obvious on that one)
locked up injectors
exhaust leaks

the list goes on an on.. I can't tell you how many small burnt plug wires i've found with split BLM's
Old 03-24-2005, 12:26 AM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '04

Would a partially clogged cat be on that list? (seems to be that would mean I have a different back pressure on the two sides, and all bets would be off). Guess I wont know until I fix it..
Old 03-24-2005, 10:22 PM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone define "BLM" to me, I hate acronyms I can't figure out.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:30 PM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '04

BLM is how much fuel the computer is adding or taking away from the injectors in order to reach stoich.

The problem with split blms is that one side is tending to run rich, while the other is lean- and your tune affects both sides equally. Thus if the driver side is running lean, and the passenger side rich- if we get the passenger side to lean out, the driver side will be even more lean than it was before.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 AM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MarkLT1
BLM is how much fuel the computer is adding or taking away from the injectors in order to reach stoich.

The problem with split blms is that one side is tending to run rich, while the other is lean- and your tune affects both sides equally. Thus if the driver side is running lean, and the passenger side rich- if we get the passenger side to lean out, the driver side will be even more lean than it was before.
Is it true the only common sampling device would be the O2 sensor(s)?

If you have access to an infrared thermal imager (such as I do) could you point it at each individual exhaust port and get some insight as to whether it's one particular cyl. or all on one bank?

I'm a former TV repairman and I've "got an awesome set of tools man"
Old 03-25-2005, 12:53 AM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '04

Yes- the BLMs are based on how much fuel the computer has to add or take away, in order to keep the exhaust moving past the O2 sensors at the right A/F ratio.

I'm not sure what a thermal imager could do- possibly find an exhaust leak- but as long as the blms are in a range in which the computer can compensate, you are having a correct A/F mixture, thus the temps for each cylinder *should* be the same.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Alvin
The split blms are usefull in diagnosing several worse problems.

a burnt plug wire will make one side read lower
A burnt or baked O2 wire will cause one side to read lower
Lazy o2's (pretty obvious on that one)
locked up injectors
exhaust leaks

the list goes on an on.. I can't tell you how many small burnt plug wires i've found with split BLM's
1 New wires and plugs
2 check the wire Ok there
3 Gonna replace the O2 with Delco on Sat(Hope it is it)
4 New injectors
5 New exhaust
6 No vacuum leak that I can find I use starting fluid at every jucnction I coud find.

I just got a like new set of OEM injectors may replace the FMS 24's with them if it does not go away. ( I got them for $56 with under 4k on them look like new )
I am also getting the Opti cap and rotor replaced and got a new GM water pump for $65 from my mechanic gotta love this guy he is only charging me $125 to replace them and he has done it before so he knows what he is getting into he is definatly a keeper.

Last edited by Redeasysport; 03-25-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by ALLT4
Is it true the only common sampling device would be the O2 sensor(s)?

If you have access to an infrared thermal imager (such as I do) could you point it at each individual exhaust port and get some insight as to whether it's one particular cyl. or all on one bank?

I'm a former TV repairman and I've "got an awesome set of tools man"
Would night vision goggles work on this idea?
Old 03-25-2005, 01:39 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

I had my stock LT1 . no mods whatsoever done, and there were split BLMs. Formato and Ed Wright said exhasut leak. Well after several mods, form bolt on to new engines, they are still there. Our 93 LT1 are batch fire also, and supposedly the BLM issue is the idle circuitry, you know where the vaccum loss on a big cam causes #1 cylinder to read lean so it adds fuel causing the split. Youcan see the idle holes drilled into the manifold that the factory throttle body allows air to get to. I have had different T Bodes, wires, plugs, exhaust manifolds, shorty headers, and now long tubes, different injectors, chips, manifolds ,ECM, sensors, cams and the list goes on, and the BLM split is still there.
I honestly dont think it is a big issue to stress out on. Once I get this last motor done, tuned via mail order (just kidding), using Datamaster and a dyno, if the split is gone great, if not, I personnaly got tired of chasing it.,
http://www.chipsbyal.com/frameset1.html go to LT1/LT4 , impove idle and it explains a little on the BLM
http://para.noid.org/~lj/ pcm turorial for BLM fix
Old 03-25-2005, 07:35 AM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
Hmmm... you would think huh!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:00 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with Steve. You should try to fix it, but don't get hung up on it. If you doubt one of the O2 sensors, swap it with the other side. If the split follows that O2, then you found your problem. I have spent countless hours with my scanner and tweeking my TB and playing with the IAC and checking for exhaust/vacuum leaks. Damn near everything under my hood is new and I still have a split. I've lost count of how many chips I've burned changing timing and fuel. Nothing has really helped all that much. In my case, there is a correlation between the IAC and the throttle plate opening, but by the time I get the splits to settle, my IAC is open so far and the plates shut that the car can't compensate for things like the A/C and cold starting. I hope that you are more succesful than I was. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:17 AM
MarkLT1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '04

ANTI VENOM-

Does your split go away above light throttle/idle?

Not sure about the original poster, but my split blm goes all the way up through the RPM range, and I dont have a radical enough cam to cause the overlap in the intake at idle, so there is definitely something amiss. (I just hope it is that semi-clogged cat!)

Get notified of new replies

To The ole split BLM issue

Old 03-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Morley
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
Doubtful. Nightvision gear just amplifies ambient lighting to make things more visable. What you need would be an IR vision device.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:57 AM
ALLT4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Morley
Doubtful. Nightvision gear just amplifies ambient lighting to make things more visable. What you need would be an IR vision device.
Yup, depends on which kind.

Image enhancement - This works by collecting the tiny amounts of light, including the lower portion of the infrared light spectrum, that are present but may be imperceptible to our eyes, and amplifying it to the point that we can easily observe the image.

Thermal imaging - This technology operates by capturing the upper portion of the infrared light spectrum, which is emitted as heat by objects instead of simply reflected as light. Hotter objects, such as warm bodies, emit more of this light than cooler objects like trees or buildings.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

So what would a clogged cat do ?Would that side run richer or leaner?

Quick Reply: The ole split BLM issue