C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Killing VATS in chip, slightly different question, need help fast

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Killing VATS in chip, slightly different question, need help fast

A friend of mine has an IROC that he has put the engine and trans out of a 93 F-body into. Months ago he just needed me to see if I could disable the VATS in the computer chip. I know you can't do this on an LT1 C4 (I've tried) there are two components to the system and disabling the chip is only half the story. I thought it might work in his case though since he doesn't have the CCM to deal with.

At the time I didn't really think about the differences so I just slapped the stock 92 image from my Vette onto a chip for him. The only thing I changed was that I unchecked the VATS Select option. Low and behold the car fired up right away worked fine. Ultimately though he had a lot of other bugs to get worked out and the project got seriously delayed. Now he's working on the project again and he called me with some questions. Some of his questions act like they would be related to the fact that he's running the Corvette program with his Z-28 wiring harness. There aren't a whole lot of differences but there are a few. I had him give me the broadcast code from his stock chip, BDZL. I found it quickly enough on DIY-EFI. I thought I would just uncheck the VATS, burn the chip and see how many of his phantom problems go away.

When I open up the BDZL chip it required the DA3 definition, fair enough I expected that. What I didn't expect was to only find ONE field in the ECM switch table. That constant is VATS DIAGNOSTIC and it is unchecked. The DA2 chip in the Vette has both VATS DIAGNOSTIC and VATS SELECT, with VATS DIAGNOSTIC being off by default as well. So now what? I really think the DA3, BDZL chip would work better for him, except that it very likely won't start because there is no way to defeat the VATS. The engine is stone stock, it could run on the stock chip if it weren't for the VATS.

He's working on it tonight and was really hoping for an answer. Any experts out there?

Last edited by Nathan Plemons; 03-26-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Alvin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Your copy of DA3 should have both the diagnostic and select.

Are you saying one is already check and one isn't? Or they just don't give you the option to change both.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Alvin
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

also, '

I don't know how old your copy the DA3 file is you have but John just updated it with a bunch of different but useful things. I think the update was made nearly a year ago now.

I remeber both vats options being there like 3-4 years ago. what i'm saying is that wasn't something he added.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

It's not even an option. Upon inspection my DA3 file dates to 99! Could explain a few things huh?

Thanks Alvin!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Well I just checked with TunerCAT and sure enough they have much newer definitions for both DA2 and DA3 so I ordered them both. Just goes to show that it pays to keep your software up to date!
Old 03-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Alvin
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

No problem..

man, hes probally made 100 more new items in this new copy vs. the old

Get notified of new replies

To Killing VATS in chip, slightly different question, need help fast

Quick Reply: Killing VATS in chip, slightly different question, need help fast