C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 slim jim door opening technique??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:28 PM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 slim jim door opening technique??????

yeah, i locked my only key in the car. anybody know how to open the 85 with a slim jim? the picture in the manual looks to call for a pull toward the front. i jimmied for some time with no effect.

frog
Old 04-02-2005, 09:56 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Best way is to get something long enough you can go all the way across to the door lock on the other side and push the button. Go in from the top of the window.

I got into mine by sticking a coathanger down into the armrest and as i pushed down on it, it bent sideways into the door lock button.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:56 AM
olman
Racer

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Best way is to get something long enough you can go all the way across to the door lock on the other side and push the button. Go in from the top of the window.

I got into mine by sticking a coathanger down into the armrest and as i pushed down on it, it bent sideways into the door lock button.
I had the same experience in my own garage. Called AAA and the pro damn near never got in. I think CCoaster is on to something
Old 04-03-2005, 03:11 AM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Need a helper and a stiff wire. Bed the wire so that when you slip it between the weather strip along the back of the car, it will curve over and hit the power lock button. Have a helper pry the window away from the targa weatherstrip and hold it there. (don't worry it won't break the glass and it won't really stress the window regulator) Now you with the wire, slip it between the pillar weatherstrip and the window and maneuver it until you can operate the lock switch.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:17 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I just pulled my window back and stuck my skinny little arm in and unlocked it.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me at the dyno two years ago. I went to the car to write a check, unlocked the ds door, got in and put the keys in the cup holder. Wrote the check, hit the lock button got out and closed the door. The shop owner gave me a plastic wedge (looks like a wood splitter) and a long plastic rod. I just put the wedge between the upper corner of the ds door glass and the b pillar weatherstrip. Then pushed the rod through to the ps lock switch and pushed. Never knew it was so easy to break into our cars. VATS and the alarm are good things.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:03 AM
harleyclassic
Instructor

parafrog - Sorry I can't help you get into your car but when I saw your avatar I remembered an old picture on my drive. This was 1st Recon outside of DaNang in '68.

Last edited by harleyclassic; 04-03-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:16 PM
parafrog
Racer

Location: Tucson, AZ. L98-85 AUTO COUPE: 120k MILES: daily driver. SOUND OFF IF YOU'VE BEEN THERE. Ex-Jumpin' Junky-82nd Airborne-2/505 PIR: 1st ID-1/16th Inf: Recon Marine Retread. GOD BLESS GRUNTS.

thanks for the input guys,
i think they tried to make the lock mechanism slim jim proof since it's a vette. instead of pulling up, the mechanism must be pulled to the side--if you can get to it.

i got the wire tip from the tech tips yesterday and tried it. i wrangled with a coat hanger and wasn't able to push hard enough on the button--they don't make em' like they used to. but the wedge tip may allow me to do so or at least let me try the opposite door option.

thank god i bought those plastic wedge door stops from the chinese tool store.

thanks again for the help,
froggy.

Last edited by parafrog; 04-03-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:08 PM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

I'd call a tow company and ask them. I did the same thing in my '88 last week and the AAA tow guy had the door opend in seconds with his slim jim. Also set off the horn alarm.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:29 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This event will teach you to put a door key in your wallet.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:50 AM
music_man
Instructor

Location: Cicero, IN "Change is inevitable, except from vending machines"

Alot of time the local police will come out if they aren't busy. I've had to call them a couple time over the years to get into cars.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:32 AM
parafrog
Racer

Originally Posted by jfb
This event will teach you to put a door key in your wallet.
thanks for the lesson teacher. i don't have a car that runs and have been unable to make any copies.

anyway, i got in with a wedge, an m16 cleaning rod and an allen wrench duct taped onto the rod to tap the unlock button. i tried the opposite door technique, but my rod just drooped too much. you can insert your punch line here.

the good news is that the car is just about slim jim proof. i had someone else try who allegedly was good at jimmying, but he couldn't get the pig open either. although, as some have said, some pro's do have the touch. i also tried to jimmy through the rear hatch inside push release and was almost successful, but not quite.

thanks for all your help,
froggy.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Most people use a broom stick to open corvettes. Simply pry the window from the weatherstrip and use a long object to the other side door lock. It works on mine (1996).

Get notified of new replies

To 85 slim jim door opening technique??????

Quick Reply: 85 slim jim door opening technique??????